Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2005, 05:41 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just wanted to share with you the newest component system that I installed on our motorhome just yesterday here at the Lazy Days Rally Park in Seffner, FL.

Waiting for us on arrival was a medium sized box from RVupgrades. Hooray! My package finally caught up with me. Opening the box I found the Model HL-200 Hydro Life Water Filter Kit that I ordered.

When you're living in your motorhome full time things such as routine maintenance become more pressing. I have found that the water in the coach batteries requires close monitoring and adjustment every 2 weeks. This procedure will assure long term battery life.

I have begun a more aggressive A/C filter change routine that will have me buying the best filter media possible and changing the filters every 90 to 120 days as required. I ask you what could be more important than breathing clean air in a small environment that moves a lot of air. Using the best filter media possible you can be assured that your lungs will thank you.

Vertical Mounted Hydro-Life Filter Canister

Of critical importance to both the occupants and the motorhome's fresh water system is an effective water filtration system. The HL-200 canister type water filter assures the best possible media to filter the water you use in the RV. Noting the ice cube filled tumbler of water on the exterior of the package gives the RV owner a better feeling about what to expect from the performance of the filter.

Captain Bud happened to be visiting us yesterday and I was showing him my new filter kit and we discussed where I could best install the filter. Installing the filter on the external surface of the motorhome was only a brief consideration since a white base plate would definitely clash with the paint. Bud said that he hung his filter using an improved hanger device made from wire that simply was hung over the front opening of the compartment.

We looked around and what do we find but the best possible position to hang an external water filter on any Adventurer (class) motorhome with a blank space on the Store-Mor slideout. My slideout has a blank panel all the way over on the right side and mounting the filter on the inside of the slideout provides excellent access to the water compartment via a 10 foot hose. The fastening bolts for the filter holder are hidden when the right door is closed. I am also thinking that having the filter out of the direct sunlight is also a good thing.

Hose Connections To Water Compartment

To mount the filter holder I used 4 black #8 bolts with Nylock nuts and stainless flat washers. Looking at the heads of the bolts when the door is open doesn't even suggest that there is anything installed there that wasn't installed in Forest City, IA.

Plumbing the filter canister I used 2 heavy duty brass 90? elbows and plastic quick connect fittings. I use quick connects universally on all hoses and appliances. I previously wrote that I had to buy 1 additional 10 foot length of hose to feed the city fill connection from the filter. On the input side of the filter I have a shutoff ball valve. I also have a shutoff valve at the city fill connection on the motorhome as well.

When breaking camp, the filter will disconnect in but a few seconds, the canister pulls vertically out of the holder, and the holder itself pulls out of the baseplate. What remains is the baseplate and it's not going to be a problem when I close the slideout. The holder kit has 2 baseplates and it is suggested that the 2nd baseplate be used to hold the filter in a compartment when traveling.

This filter kit is available from RV Upgrades see for all the best information about the Hydro Life filter click on the following link

Hydro Life Water Filters - HL-200 Exterior Canister Style Filter System - G2629

Member Circle of Trust RV Family
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2005, 05:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just wanted to share with you the newest component system that I installed on our motorhome just yesterday here at the Lazy Days Rally Park in Seffner, FL.

Waiting for us on arrival was a medium sized box from RVupgrades. Hooray! My package finally caught up with me. Opening the box I found the Model HL-200 Hydro Life Water Filter Kit that I ordered.

When you're living in your motorhome full time things such as routine maintenance become more pressing. I have found that the water in the coach batteries requires close monitoring and adjustment every 2 weeks. This procedure will assure long term battery life.

I have begun a more aggressive A/C filter change routine that will have me buying the best filter media possible and changing the filters every 90 to 120 days as required. I ask you what could be more important than breathing clean air in a small environment that moves a lot of air. Using the best filter media possible you can be assured that your lungs will thank you.

Vertical Mounted Hydro-Life Filter Canister

Of critical importance to both the occupants and the motorhome's fresh water system is an effective water filtration system. The HL-200 canister type water filter assures the best possible media to filter the water you use in the RV. Noting the ice cube filled tumbler of water on the exterior of the package gives the RV owner a better feeling about what to expect from the performance of the filter.

Captain Bud happened to be visiting us yesterday and I was showing him my new filter kit and we discussed where I could best install the filter. Installing the filter on the external surface of the motorhome was only a brief consideration since a white base plate would definitely clash with the paint. Bud said that he hung his filter using an improved hanger device made from wire that simply was hung over the front opening of the compartment.

We looked around and what do we find but the best possible position to hang an external water filter on any Adventurer (class) motorhome with a blank space on the Store-Mor slideout. My slideout has a blank panel all the way over on the right side and mounting the filter on the inside of the slideout provides excellent access to the water compartment via a 10 foot hose. The fastening bolts for the filter holder are hidden when the right door is closed. I am also thinking that having the filter out of the direct sunlight is also a good thing.

Hose Connections To Water Compartment

To mount the filter holder I used 4 black #8 bolts with Nylock nuts and stainless flat washers. Looking at the heads of the bolts when the door is open doesn't even suggest that there is anything installed there that wasn't installed in Forest City, IA.

Plumbing the filter canister I used 2 heavy duty brass 90? elbows and plastic quick connect fittings. I use quick connects universally on all hoses and appliances. I previously wrote that I had to buy 1 additional 10 foot length of hose to feed the city fill connection from the filter. On the input side of the filter I have a shutoff ball valve. I also have a shutoff valve at the city fill connection on the motorhome as well.

When breaking camp, the filter will disconnect in but a few seconds, the canister pulls vertically out of the holder, and the holder itself pulls out of the baseplate. What remains is the baseplate and it's not going to be a problem when I close the slideout. The holder kit has 2 baseplates and it is suggested that the 2nd baseplate be used to hold the filter in a compartment when traveling.

This filter kit is available from RV Upgrades see for all the best information about the Hydro Life filter click on the following link

Hydro Life Water Filters - HL-200 Exterior Canister Style Filter System - G2629

Member Circle of Trust RV Family
Old 02-21-2005, 03:21 AM   #3

.....Why have drinking water near sewage?...Why not drink/cook with bottled water instead of "hose" water?....geof kaye
Old 02-21-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
.....Why have drinking water near sewage?... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Geof, Your observations are accurate however it's a fact of life in the RV world of camping that's inescapable.

We always will opt for bottled water for cooking, coffee and drinking. I do appreciate a proactive approach when it comes to clean water for washing dishes, bathing and brushing teeth.

Be a "Maog"! Like John Candy said in "Spaceballs The Movie" I'm my own best friend.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Here's my setup-

When we decided to filter the water that comes into our unit, I came up with this setup. I mounted two filters on a board that is contained within the utilities compartment. It can be easily removed from the MH for maintenance.

The first filter is a 1 micron sediment filter and the second is a 1 micron charcoal filter. After filtering, the water goes to the regulator, then enters the MH. We have another charcoal filter at the kitchen sink. The sink filter also filters the water that goes to the ice maker. We are pleased with this setup.

Bottled water can be fine, however, you have to do some research to find out about the quality of the brand you are using. Not all are good- many do not even meet standards set for tap water quality. That's not my judgement, that info is contained in a number of test reports of water quality over the years that can be found with searches on the web.

Of course, the main thing is to do what makes you the most comfortable.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Did you folks know that "New York City" tap water is the best water on the planet? It's true.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #7

.....having just dealt with a HEP C scare here abouts-I am just a little gun shy when I see black/gray water near drinking water....and was expressing my concern for others who might not realize the conquences of contamination and just how little it takes to make a person very sick-for life......Thank GOD it wasn't me!.....geof kaye
Old 02-22-2005, 03:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Kayerivercity,

I share your concerns and have wondered why many motorhome manufacturers insist on putting the sewage dump in the same compartment as the fresh water hookup.

So I take some other precautions to minimize problems.

In my unit, the utilities compartment is large enough for me to add a partition between the waterside and the sewage side to help with separation.

I leave a Sewer Solution attached to the dump pipe at all times, this helps to keep the dump side cleaner since the dump hose is actually stored in a drop down tray under the motorhome.

I keep a spray bottle with a 10-20% solution of bleach in the waterside that I use to spray my hoses, water inlet, the water tap as well as the entire exterior of the water tap and valve.

When storing my water hose I give it a quick spray with the bleach and plug the end(s) or attach it end to end.

I always do my water hookup before handling any sewage chores.

Hopefully, these procedures will work well for us, however, I'm open to any other suggestions that someone might want to contribute.

Here's a stomach turner for you. Last August we were at a campground in Cedarville, MI. We were outside enjoying some nice weather, when a motorhome arrived at a nearby site. We could tell by their parking procedure that they were still learning how to park the diesel pusher. The man then came out to do the hookups and started with the sewage. He opened a small door on the side of the MH and started pulling out the standard slinky sewer hose. However, he did not take care when pulling it out and the tail end of the hose flipped toward him when the end came out of the hose compartment. This sprayed him in the face with some liquid. He promptly wiped his face with his bare hand. He completed the sewage hose hookup and without any personnel cleanup, grabbed the fresh water hose and hooked it up. At that point, my wife was telling me that she could not believe what she was seeing. But it goes down hill from there. The man, still without washing his hands or face, walks around the backside of his MH and happens to spot some dirt or something not to his liking, so he licks a finger on the same hand used to wipe the liquid off his face and then rubs the spot on the motorhome. My wife immediately headed inside our MH saying she couldn't stand to watch anymore.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You know we often see these disgusting hygiene practices and people aren't even aware they're doing it.

My favorite was 1 gentlemen that was handling his sewage hose, hooked it up and did what he had to do all while smoking a cigarette. Now just the act of placing your working hands in close proximity to your mouth is more than I can handle visually.

If you all will look inside my water closet you'll see my bleach spray bottle. I run a 25% solution. I believe that I am very fortunate to have completed a career as a first responder especially in the light of having to be exposed to all type of contaminants. I have had friends that have passed from exposures, one from carcinogens and another from Hep C.

I spray everything especially my fresh water connections prior to making the connection. Keeping contaminants out of used fresh water hoses is also a big concern and my strategy there is a dedicated Rubbermaid bin with a cover.

Don't think that you'll look funny by the way if you use surgical gloves for instance while using highway RV dump stations. Be safe, protect yourself. Even campground hookups are suspect but the resources to quickly clean up are more available.

Have and use a product called Vionex or equivalent bactericide in the event of an exposure. Make sure you read the instructions and use the product as needed.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
DriVer,

Good point about the gloves, I forgot to mention that I use rubber gloves while doing the sewage chores.

I'm very interested in the "Vionex or equivalent bactericide" that you mentioned. Perhaps, at your convenience, you would enlighten the rest of us as to the application in our RV world and where we would get this product. Sounds like something that I should have.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:13 PM   #11

....how many campgrounds have you been to and there is NO backflow protector on the fresh water inlet side of the supply valve....have you seen anyone flush out the supply hose for stored water from the last camping trip/....it's always the small t hings that get you in the end and why ruin a good vacation with the "BULL MOOSE Sh*TS?"AKA"TRAVELERS DIARREHA"....and hopefully that is all the problems you run into trying to have a little fun....geof kaye
Old 02-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
I'm very interested in the "Vionex or equivalent bactericide" that you mentioned. Perhaps, at your convenience, you would enlighten the rest of us as to the application in our RV world and where we would get this product. Sounds like something that I should have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You can get an equivalent product right off the shelf at CVS or Walgreen's. Just look for it or ask and read the label. Typically these agents are clear or tinted in color and may have the consistency of jelly. Vionex is a product that we used to carry on the Fire Truck was white in color and has the texture of light hand cream.

If you are exposed or for routine use apply the bacteriocide hand agent and rub it in until it disappears. You can then exercise a good hand washing with your conventional anti bactericidal hand soap.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
....how many campgrounds have you been to and there is NO backflow protector on the fresh water inlet side of the supply valve.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I carry a spare with me for just such an event. I also use an anti-siphon valve on the black water flushing hose.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
DriVer,

A user question about the Vionex or equivalent bactericide. Would you use this product for cleanup after every routine handling of sewage chores or keep it for exposures such a getting splashed or a spill? I use a conventional anti bactericidal hand soap after routine chores.
Thanks.