Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 04:57 AM   #1

I think I screwed up my generator

I have a 2013 Yamaha EF6300ISDE generator. It is dual gasoline and propane system. Yesterday I ran the generator on gasoline to check it out. It worked fine. I then hooked up propane AND FORGOT TO SHUT THE GASOLINE OFF for the first time since I had the thing. I started it and it revved up to about 4600 RPMs. I usually have it set to run about 3450 RPMs on propane and it runs about that on gasoline in full throttle mode. It does have an eco switch and drops the RPMs down on either fuel that I am using. In the eight years I’ve had the gen I had never forgotten to shut the gasoline off when I switched to propane. In addition, I don’t think I have ever seen the gen run at more than about 3600-3700 RPMs.
As I noted the gen was revving at high RPMs (and hadn’t noticed I left the gasoline on) I tried the eco switch to slow it down but it did not work. I also noted there were no lights showing on the hours meter or the power meter. The entire electrical system was off and only the motor was running. I shut it off and that’s when I noted I had left gasoline on. I shut off the gasoline and tried the gen again. It started, ran at regular RPMs and meter lights came but no power was being generated. Also, in about 30 seconds all lights went off and nothing works, couldn’t switch to eco setting, and all I could do was shut it off, let it sit for a few seconds, start it up, and each time lights would go out (complete electrical system failure) in about thirty seconds. The motor always kept running fine.
I’m pretty sure the electrical failure has something to do with the high speed from my leaving both fuel system connected. Anybody have any idea what I screwed up and what I might check?
I did dumb - Glenn
Band Of One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #2

I can't imagine the fuel source having anything to do with the electrical side. The generator's rpm is controlled no matter which fuel (or both).

I would flip the circuit breakers (on the generator) back / forth and give it another shot on the right fuel source.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #3

I'm not an expert but I believe that the propane acted like nitrous oxide used on drag cars. The generator was running primarily on the gasoline but the introduction of the propane was the "extra " boost in the fuel system. By over reving the generator you may have burnt out a sacrificial fusible link? Or tripped some unseen breakers? One good thing is you can bring it to a Yamaha dealer for repairs if necessary
Suprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

Gen in shop

I didn't have time to reply over a week ago as I left for my trip. I had to bring my back up gen on my trip as the one mentioned in the post stayed in the shop.
The diagnosis:
Having both fuels on at the same time is not recommended but that did not damage the gen. It was a burned interface and control unit. I had some problems a while back with the gen not acting right when the A/C compressor kicked on and it was sending the gen into "default overload". I had to keep the gen in ECO mode so it would not do that. The overload situation in full throttle is what burned the control unit. Everything is computer controlled with this gen and a malfunction led to it not responding correctly to the A/C compressor and thus the damage to the gen control unit. At least the gen went into overload and not burn up the A/C unit in my RV.
Gen fix is is going to run over $2000.00 but it is a $7000.00 gen so I guess I'll go that route.
Thanks for the replies.
Glenn
Old 06-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Band Of One View Post
Gen fix is is going to run over $2000.00 but it is a $7000.00 gen so I guess I'll go that route.
Thanks for the replies.
Glenn
Amazon has that genny for $3700 shipped...

https://www.amazon.com/EF6300iSDE-Ru.../dp/B002RWK9QY
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Amazon has that genny for $3700 shipped...

https://www.amazon.com/EF6300iSDE-Ru.../dp/B002RWK9QY
Thank you for your input. Yes you are correct on the price. The gen I have is eight years old and had a much higher initial price back them. In addition, mine has the Tri-fuel Propane/Natural gas kit and also a remote start kit which added to the cost. I'll see what the bottom line is when the repair is complete and perhaps look at trading mine in for a new one. Either way I think I need to get it fixed.

Tags
generator, scr