Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #15

A socket, extension, breaker bar and a piece of pipe to extend the breaker bar. I would also recommend getting 3/4" breaker bar and extension for larger wheels. Socket to match and also socket should be six point, not twelve point. These will never wear out or need charging or a new battery. A whole lot simpler and smaller to store.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #16

I bought a socket for my lugs. I had an extra extension and breaker already. I used them once to be sure the setup would work. I've yet to use it again as I always have my big battery impact charged and handy. I use it for lots of other things, I just make sure it gets loaded in the coach before trips.
The other day I was rooting in the back of an oddly designed cargo compartment I have and saw something wedged off to the side. After some reaching, scraping, and more than a little grunting, I got it it. It's the original lug wrench for the coach. So now I guess I have a belt, suspenders, and....an elastic waistband?

If you're not in the habit of messing with wheels and tires except in emergency circumstances a battery impact probably doesn't make any sense. I use my impact for something or another almost every weekend, RV or not.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #17

For the old school Ni-Cad battery powered tools I can agree they're pretty useless as the batteries are always dead when you need them. For the L-ion not so much I have some lithium powered tools that will stay charged for months. Personally I'm looking at the Milwaukee but if the DeWalt is a lot cheaper I might go with it. Either one needs to be able to handle 450 ft. lbs.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:44 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the EARTHQUAKE from HARBOR FRIGHT, works like a dream. Big cheater bar is my backup. I also have AAA.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:04 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So a recent trip to store in 27-yo Nissan pickup (yeah, 1994, and MY first roadside flat tire) got a flat 1-block fom home; pulled out trusty OEM tools, got jack in place, and started to break LUGS Loose, the OEM Lug wrench SNAPPED THE WELD, and 35-45-minutes later got thru to the ERS that I had just paid the bill on; 10-minutes later, he was there, (in a car, no less) with cords running from his dash cig lighter socket, but got the job done quickly, and I am rolling down the road w/ flashers on using my 27yo mini-donut... 3rd stop, I found a Firestone w/ ONE tire in stock to fit my needs... GIGGLES AND GRINS... but everything else in my driveway was undrivable that day... Amazon brought me a NEW donut spare TIRE for $85 a week later, and I changed it on the rim myself... a diff Firestone fed me BS about not fitting their machine... not having special valve stem, etc...(IT TOO was standard, and they were full of BS and THAT was the 3rd strike for THAT Firestone store.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The concern about the battery being dead when you need the tool isn't something that worries me. I'm a DeWalt guy and when we are on the road with the travel trailer I am carrying several DeWalt tools anyway (blower, drill, light, etc) along with a charger and at least 2 batteries. I use the blower daily for blowing off the outside mats, etc., so I pretty much always know the state of my batteries. And if we are boondocking I can charge the batteries off of the generator. I don't own the impact wrench yet but that's definitely on my list. I agree that this was all a bit of a pain with the old NiCad batteries, but with the long lasting Lithiums, battery tools rule!

Tags
driver