Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
The ice maker, like everything else in the coach, gets sanitized by the low-concentration bleach solution from the tank.

What I don’t want is high-concentration bleach anywhere I can prevent it. Even laundry strength chlorine bleach is highly corrosive. It will corrode stainless steel, aluminum, brass, and copper - several of which are present in ice-maker plumbing.

In addition, undiluted bleach, “can attack some of the plasticizers used to give certain plastics desired properties (like flexibility) which can change the properties of these plastic in undesired ways.” This is particularly true of rubber-based compounds like the seals in a canister filter housing or an RV toilet.

Tiffins come with a built in “whole house” canister filter. Filling it with bleach would send high-concentration bleach throughout the coach. Everywhere except the fresh tank. That would be a bad thing. Hence my suggestion that folks check their plumbing layout before filling their filter canister with bleach.

As I mentioned above, I’ve stopped using bleach because of all of its downsides. I now use Purogene. Purogene is designed specifically for water purification, is non-corrosive, and non-toxic. It has better residual anti-microbial action than bleach, is easier to use, and is considered a “safe” product (bleach is not). Most commercial airlines use it to sanitize freshwater systems, and it is recommended by Boeing for use in all their commercial aircraft.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Joe you can effectively do the same thing by simply using your whole-house water filter. Remove the cartridge, mix the appropriate amount of bleach and water to fill the housing, attach the hoses, fill the water tank. Everything else is the same.

I how see SteveW has already suggested this, great minds think alike..
My cartridge-type filter only goes to a separate faucet on the sink. Thanks anyway!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #17

The wife bought one. [Mod Edit]
This is easier: attach your hose to the supply, in the other end pour in the measured amount and raise the hose up to keep it from coming out. Attach to your RV and turn on the water.
Cheap & works with less things to leak and spill bleach all over the place.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
The wife bought one. [Mod Edit]
This is easier: attach your hose to the supply, in the other end pour in the measured amount and raise the hose up to keep it from coming out. Attach to your RV and turn on the water.
Cheap & works with less things to leak and spill bleach all over the place.
WOW! That sounds like a great solution and reminds me of the old KISS saying, "Keep It Simple Stupid".
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #19

I'm a total Newbie to the forum here. My Renegade, well the Water tanks are under the bed, I'm not a fan of even the thought of schlepping flopping around c container of bleach into the bedroom and messing with that. My water tank fill is a permanently attached hose on a reel that comes from the wet bay. I did not even know that the sanitizer kit was available. I want my fill hose to get a little does of sanitizer here and there. I came up with a PVC pipe gizmo (2" fill port) that should be easy to fill and can go in line from the spigot, parts only, under $30, not including shipping (cause I did not want to chase around to hardware stores and home improvement stores)
I will post a photo once I have assembled
JoeRider677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #20

mUSt bE spECial

watch this.

BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Depending upon how your coach is plumbed. You can also put the appropriate amount of bleach into your water filter canister (no filter) and then fill up the fresh water tank.

+1 pour into water filter canister
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #22

David Bott has a very good video on installing an inline UV sanitizer. I think this is whole house setup not just sanitizing FW tank. Video on YouTube and outsideourbubble.com
Old 04-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #23

mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
David Bott has a very good video on installing an inline UV sanitizer. I think this is whole house setup not just sanitizing FW tank. Video on YouTube and outsideourbubble.com
Anything but a sediment filter followed by a charcoal filter followed by a UV light water sterilizer is a complete waste of time money and energy, subject to miss application and failure.
My wife has all the stomach issues with strange water from drinks to ice. I `ve tried all the usual methods and it`s complicated and iffy if it`s going to work makes the water taste bad or like chlorine or what ever you put in the tank that you have to do at EVERY fill up. Given that every campground is going to have different water the big question mark is how much of this or that or how often. It takes care of the tank water or the well/city water with no thought or hassles.
The system above is a one time install and forget it, idiot proof and works at all campgrounds across the country. We added a "On the GO" water softener this year and the girls have approved of it for hair washing. With a couple of pipe fittings from Lowes your set up and running in no time, easy peasy.
The wife has had no issues since I put this system in, the other methods, not so much. My fault I`m sure, just ask her.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water