Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
In-line freshwater tank sanitizer

Anybody tried one of these? It sounds like a good idea!

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Inline-San...language=en_US
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Saw an article about it online, but did not purchase. The article's conclusion was that it looks a lot like a solution in search of a problem, and I completely agree!

A bottle of bleach, thoroughly clean gallon milk jug, funnel, and measuring cup. Put the bleach into the jug (use the funnel), fill with water, pour into tank - carefully and again using funnel, and fill tank.

What could be easier, or cheaper?

I have switched from bleach to Purogene. It's more expensive, but you use a lot less. It's tasteless, non-toxic, bio-degradable, and won't attack your paint, decals, or clothes! The process for using is exactly the same as bleach except for the different amount. (1oz to 30 gallons of tank capacity)

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Saw an article about it online, but did not purchase. The article's conclusion was that it looks a lot like a solution in search of a problem, and I completely agree!

A bottle of bleach, thoroughly clean gallon milk jug, funnel, and measuring cup. Put the bleach into the jug (use the funnel), fill with water, pour into tank - carefully and again using funnel, and fill tank.

What could be easier, or cheaper?

I have switched from bleach to Purogene. It's more expensive, but you use a lot less. It's tasteless, non-toxic, bio-degradable, and won't attack your paint, decals, or clothes! The process for using is exactly the same as bleach except for the different amount. (1oz to 30 gallons of tank capacity)

Regards,

Randy
Thanks for the tip Randy! I'm not familiar with that. Where do you get it?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #4

On my current coach, you connect a hose directly to the tank inlet and there really is no way to pour anything into the tank, short of making up a hose with a screw end clamped to a funnel. My previous RVs all had a larger tank opening that a funnel, or hose would fit inside. So this gadget would work for me if I hadn't already made a rig to do the job.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I made a 5/8 hose with 1/2" barbed to 1/2" PT fitting to fit aqua-tainter. The hose is like 2-3 feet long. Long enough to get pass the door when its up. I have sever of these jugs if dry camping for an extended period.

What I do is mix my needed beach with water in the jug and pour it in the tank. Then fill the rest of the tank with the hose. About one quart of beach for my 80 gallon tank.

The trick is to have something to rest the jug on when pouring. I found a very high foldup chair. Looks like its for a high bar. Im 6.3 and when I sit on it my feet dont touch the ground.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #6

0.13 ounces of bleach per gallon of water capacity.
100 gallon water tank x 0.13 = 13 ounces of bleach thats old school non-ultra gal size.
You just have to empty about 3' of the fill hose more the better pour it it in hose hook it up turn it on.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe,

As always, Amazon is your friend. It's probably available at RV parts stores, but I've never looked.

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #8

Depending upon how your coach is plumbed. You can also put the appropriate amount of bleach into your water filter canister (no filter) and then fill up the fresh water tank.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks for the tip Randy! I'm not familiar with that. Where do you get it?
I've been getting it at the RV Water Filter Store but you can find it other places as well.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #10

Joe you can effectively do the same thing by simply using your whole-house water filter. Remove the cartridge, mix the appropriate amount of bleach and water to fill the housing, attach the hoses, fill the water tank. Everything else is the same.

I how see SteveW has already suggested this, great minds think alike..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
WTB

Yup, great minds do think alike. I also just remove the water filter from the housing, fill with the bleach solution and then pump it into the tank
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The filter trick is a great idea, but doesn't work in all motorhomes. In my Tiffin gasser the wet-bay tank fill valve creates a direct connection from the city water connection to the tank, bypassing the filter. Tank water gets filtered on the output side of the pump.

Check your plumbing before trying it! High concentration is not something I'd want, say, in the icemaker.

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-19-2020, 11:13 PM   #13

Quote:
The filter trick is a great idea, but doesn't work in all motorhomes. In my Tiffin gasser the wet-bay tank fill valve creates a direct connection from the city water connection to the tank, bypassing the filter. Tank water gets filtered on the output side of the pump.

Check your plumbing before trying it! High concentration is not something I'd want, say, in the icemaker.

Regards,

Randy
Using a stand-alone water filter works with all systems. There is no high concentration, you use the appropriate amount of bleach for your tank size.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:

Regards,

Randy
So you worry about sanitizing your tank but don't care if your ice maker is contaminated?
The ice maker rinses just as well as the tank & lines that feed it!?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water