Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 50,491
Inspection camera

Have any of you found a decent low-cost inspection camera that will work with an Android phone?
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 235
I have one like this that I got from eBay:

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...74&sr=8-4&th=1

I have and iPhone, but basically there's an app that you download, connect to the camera via wiFi, and go. The camera itself has it's own "WiFi", which is what it uses to connect to the phone. Works OK and you can take video or screenshots of the images on the phone.
__________________
Keith
2007 HR Scepter 40 PDQ
400 ISL, ~67K on the clock....for now
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,049
This is my latest one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20306133021...gAAOSwUDVfIRg~
Pretty fond of the $14 pricetag.
The first one wasn't "semi rigid". It worked OK but the cable just let it flop around and you couldn't "steer" it to where you wanted.
I originally bought one for work but took it home enough I just bought a third one. I've used it on an Android phone, an Android tablet, a Windows tablet, and a Windows laptop so far.
I've used standalone ones and have no interest. Lame screens, batteries, eh. Plug mine into whatever the heck screen is handy and have a look. Done.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 50,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepter40 View Post
I have one like this that I got from eBay:

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...74&sr=8-4&th=1

I have and iPhone, but basically there's an app that you download, connect to the camera via wiFi, and go. The camera itself has it's own "WiFi", which is what it uses to connect to the phone. Works OK and you can take video or screenshots of the images on the phone.
Thanks! That one has great reviews and a reasonable price. I ordered it!
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,049
Never did get the wifi part. When I use such a camera I basically have the camera lead in one hand to manipulate it to where I can see the target and the screen/phone/whatever either in my other hand or right in front of me so I can see what the camera sees as I move it. So the two components are like a couple of feet apart and both in my hands. Why do I need wifi to connect them? Not at all sure how other people are using these things but plugged in works great for me.

I like gizmos and would have no issue buying another. I just don't see how having wifi would benefit me in the real world ways I have used mine. Am I missing something?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Never did get the wifi part. When I use such a camera I basically have the camera lead in one hand to manipulate it to where I can see the target and the screen/phone/whatever either in my other hand or right in front of me so I can see what the camera sees as I move it. So the two components are like a couple of feet apart and both in my hands. Why do I need wifi to connect them? Not at all sure how other people are using these things but plugged in works great for me.

I like gizmos and would have no issue buying another. I just don't see how having wifi would benefit me in the real world ways I have used mine. Am I missing something?
The WiFi connection is just what the camera uses to connect to the phone or tablet. I guess thatís cheaper than a Bluetooth module. And they donít plug into the phone at all (well, mine doesnít anyway), which is maybe nicer because you donít have to hold the phone and manipulate the camera at the same time. If yours works for you and is wired, probably no need to change. Wired connection might be less wonky anyway. Thereís something to be said for a hard connection.
__________________
Keith
2007 HR Scepter 40 PDQ
400 ISL, ~67K on the clock....for now
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,049
They've been selling wifi versions for a while. They are out there in service. I figured someone might be able to rationalize why one would pay the extra money for the extra complication. I cannot.
When I use mine I often just set the screen where I can see, so that hand is free in any case. But I have to have a hand on the camera or cable so I can manipulate it, no way around that. And the distance between my hand and eye isn't so great I think I need wireless to bridge it.
Bonus, when I plug my camera into a USB port, the machine basically says "Oh, a camera. Here's an app to look at stuff, enjoy." Seriously just that easy. My main go-to is actually an automotive diagnostic "tablet" called a Snap On Verus Edge which isn't really meant for such use. I literally plug the camera in and start looking at what I want within about three seconds. No batteries, fiddling with wifi, making connections over wifi, any of that. On some devices I have to choose the USB over another camera option that might be onboard (like with a phone) but that takes seconds and is dead simple.

I'm still up for it though. Why would I want to pay double the price for the wifi version of such a camera? Is there a reason to? I actually would like to know.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 50,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
They've been selling wifi versions for a while. They are out there in service. I figured someone might be able to rationalize why one would pay the extra money for the extra complication. I cannot.
When I use mine I often just set the screen where I can see, so that hand is free in any case. But I have to have a hand on the camera or cable so I can manipulate it, no way around that. And the distance between my hand and eye isn't so great I think I need wireless to bridge it.
Bonus, when I plug my camera into a USB port, the machine basically says "Oh, a camera. Here's an app to look at stuff, enjoy." Seriously just that easy. My main go-to is actually an automotive diagnostic "tablet" called a Snap On Verus Edge which isn't really meant for such use. I literally plug the camera in and start looking at what I want within about three seconds. No batteries, fiddling with wifi, making connections over wifi, any of that. On some devices I have to choose the USB over another camera option that might be onboard (like with a phone) but that takes seconds and is dead simple.

I'm still up for it though. Why would I want to pay double the price for the wifi version of such a camera? Is there a reason to? I actually would like to know.
You're probably right! I didn't really need the WiFi version, but that particular camera had a ton of really good reviews and I've been bitten so many times buying the cheapest things out there!
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,049
I'm sure it will be fine. As little as you (and I) in reality will ever use these things it surely doesn't matter which version. I just really got interested in why the wifi? It seems like the opposite of added value to me. I'm kind of hoping I'm missing some really cool reason.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 50,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I'm sure it will be fine. As little as you (and I) in reality will ever use these things it surely doesn't matter which version. I just really got interested in why the wifi? It seems like the opposite of added value to me. I'm kind of hoping I'm missing some really cool reason.
Another feature I liked were the screw-on attachments for the camera end, like the hook to remove something.
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 472
Bought the Depstech when I was having a problem with black tank valve hidden in innards of MH. The valve has about a 3 foot cable on it. The wifi let me set up my android tablet right in front of me and use both hands to manipulate the camera, Also was handy when doing a search of the inside of the black tank thru the toilet. Tablet was on the vanity
__________________
KC9NPT (Merrill)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,049
My $14 one came with a hook, a little magnet, and an angled mirror for the end. The second USB camera I bought did not come with those but it was like eight dollars. It worked great and I found it to be a fine value, until I smashed it with an errant flying impact socket.

I also regularly set my tablet on something in front of me which frees both my hands. Having a USB cable stuck in the side of it doesn't effect that type of usability for me as far as I know. Seems like the wifi might be good for distance but for the life of me I cant figure out how that would be useful. So far.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
zipmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Through the years, there have been numerous times working on my cars, house, & RV when I had wished I had one of these. Yesterday after reading this thread, I pulled the trigger and ordered this one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...74&sr=8-4&th=1). Ordered it at about 8:30am and it was delivered the same day at 4:20pm. The unit itself had great reviews, but the app needed to operate it only had 2.5 stars, with many comments about difficulty connecting to the camera or dropping connection. After receiving it yesterday, I downloaded the app for my iPad and was up and operating immediately with no difficulties. I played with it for an hour and never once lost the connection. I like the ability of having a larger screen with an iPad that I can place where I want it for optimal viewing and having both hands free for manipulating the camera. The only drawback is that for extreme close-up viewing, the image is not focused. I couldn't use it to check my ears for ear wax. And for roughly $43 dollars total, it was well within my affordable price range. I already have several areas where I plan on using it. So far I'm more than pleased.
__________________
Zip
2018 Forest River FR3 29DS
2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD TOAD
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
GypsyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,049
Right at $30 more than I paid for mine. The world is full of so many things I don't understand. Makes it ever so interesting.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camera



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flexible Inspection Camera to check battery electrolyte levels! Dr Gas RV Systems & Appliances 4 04-13-2018 01:04 PM
Inspection Camera Kit-Milwaukee? PatStab iRV2.com General Discussion 4 11-15-2016 12:05 PM
Harbor Freight Camera system as a backup camera RLD_999 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 3 08-11-2014 02:04 PM
Replacing/upgrading back up camera system - rear camera removal? ScottRussell Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 07-07-2014 06:57 AM
Inspection camera adonh Class A Motorhome Discussions 14 08-11-2013 11:47 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.