Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Jacks Leaking

All four of my jacks are leaking, two worse than the others.
I have a system made by Kwikee and of course, they are out of business.
Does anyone know who can fix the jacks? I was quoted 995.00 each from Alfateers for replacement jacks, Yites!
Bruceea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #2

if it's the seals a hydraulic shop could do it cheap. Look for a hydraulic supply house or a heavy equipment repair place.

The packing / seals are cheap were taking a few dollars each.

Getting them off is another story.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not familiar with the Alfateers jacks, I rebuilt my obsolete Power Gear jack for less than $35. And, that included the cost of machining an internal part that PG said didn't exist. PG wanted $1600 for a new replacement jack (GULP)

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack re-assembly – 1999 Southwind 35S

As mentioned, if you can remove the jack and take it to any hydraulic shop, they should be able to repair it.

If you're able to tear it apart yourself, you can probably get all new o-rings, scrapers and seal for less than $10.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Alfateers jacks, I rebuilt my obsolete Power Gear jack for less than $35. And, that included the cost of machining an internal part that PG said didn't exist. PG wanted $1600 for a new replacement jack (GULP)

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack re-assembly – 1999 Southwind 35S

As mentioned, if you can remove the jack and take it to any hydraulic shop, they should be able to repair it.

If you're able to tear it apart yourself, you can probably get all new o-rings, scrapers and seal for less than $10.
I read your write up on the repair prior to buying my rig. It actually helped me to avoid jacks that don't make repair parts anymore and bought a rig with HWH system to avoid it.

Thing is, you machined that part. We don't have access to machining that part and having a shop machine it is expensive. I was surprised that you don't machine that part for people. Looks like on those units thats the primary failure.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I was surprised that you don't machine that part for people. Looks like on those units thats the primary failure.
No one has ever asked. Not a big demand for it.

Observation; The people who would take apart a jack to see whats wrong will seek out a way to replace or machine that part. Its just another challenge to be overcome, another learning experience, and another satisfying moment in accomplishing something that most people would not even attempt.

Check around, You might be surprised what a machine shop will charge you to make that part. I even have a eMachineshop.com drawing for it, but they wanted $100 each in quantities of 10

Finding a hydraulic shop - Parker is franchised all over the US, google them (Parker Store), I bet they have a shop in your town or nearby. If they can't repair the jack, they will know of a local shop that can.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
The KW jacks are welded. There are many places which will, grind, reseal and weld back together. You have to do your legwork in calling around. normal coast is around $600. If the chrome is bad on the ram, then expect to pay $900.

LCI, is the supplier for the $900 jacks. As they are 15K lbs.

Now if you are serious, first use transmission sealer, work the back and forth, see if that helps. Folks, the hydraulic systems states Automatic transmission fluid is to be used.

If you are a DIY, i have located a company that sells hydraulic jacks, the main difference is the location of the sensor. LCI on top, this other company on bottom. Same fitting size. The mounting plate has 8 holes.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #7

Well, here is what I found so far.
The jacks on the coach are the old kwikee 3010 series. They are 17,000# jacks. Not sure why since the GVWR on the coach is 31,000#. Many companies have said those jacks are not re-buildable. Alfateers, the people who worked at Alfa before they closed down said they have tries to rebuild them at a few shops but they just don't work right and don't hold up.

Lippert purchased Kwikee when they closed down and they have a replacement jack. The lowest price I have found is $913.00 from American RV.

Can't confirm but was told that jack is made by Power Gear.
Bottom line, looking at $4,000 + labor to remove and install.

Since the coach is only worth about 35K, I think I'll try AT stop leak first.
Bruceea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
No one has ever asked. Not a big demand for it.

Observation; The people who would take apart a jack to see whats wrong will seek out a way to replace or machine that part. Its just another challenge to be overcome, another learning experience, and another satisfying moment in accomplishing something that most people would not even attempt.

Check around, You might be surprised what a machine shop will charge you to make that part. I even have a eMachineshop.com drawing for it, but they wanted $100 each in quantities of 10
Ive been repairing equipment professionally since 1988. It runs the gambit of skills since the equipment Ive repaired has varied. Office equipment, Laboratory equipment and the building it lived in, manufacturing equipment including pneumatics, payphones and computers. Ive even designed quite a few things and had them made. Ive stripped my sport bike down to the frame and put it back together. . Back then machining was a $35 minimum, interesting how times have changed.

The thrill for me has dwindled. I take things apart to repair because I can and it saves money but the thrill of victory and agony of defeat is no longer a thing for me. Although I will admit I am quite satisfied after repairing the awning mechanism, mostly because it was so irritating. lol If I had the cash to pay someone to do it I probably would. lol

I also pick my battles. I needed to repair the shuttle valve on my HWH system. I could have cleaned it and replaced the O-rings but wasn't confident I could find the exact replacement that were compatible with the fluid they use in the system. Also the leveling system isn't really something to "test" your repair success since if it fails with the slides out or in the down position you are stuck if you can't get it back up. Plus its a super PITA to try to get the slides back in. So I spent the $70 for a new valve.

If I have to rebuild a jack I will probably take it to my mech to remove the jack and rebuild it myself if I can get the parts.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
As I stated earlier, they can be rebuild. I know of 3 companies that can do them. Yes they work just as good as new. Shops have the knowledge in doing this.

I do not have my notes, however I did find a company (RV) that make jacks that will work. The difference is the location of the sensor. LCI, sensor is on top. This other jack sensor in on the bottom. This is no big deal. The plate has 8 holes for mounting. If you are serious let me know, and I will locate mu notes.

Did / have you try the transmission leak fix?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leak