RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #1

Kitchen Gadgets, best and worst?

So the wife has been looking at buying an InstantPot. Part of our thought is it might be handy to carry along in the trailer for meals when we are out. So that brings up...what is the best and/or worst kitchen/cooking/food prep gadget you have picked up for your RV? So far I have nothing to add, because we have not really put anything in the rig other than basics so we can eat and serve food...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

Love our instant pot. Does double duty as pressure cooker and slow cooker. Other thing I use a lot is a pampered chef microwave pot. And, of course, our black stone grill.
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

One more thing lol....and induction burner to use outside when it is too warm inside to use the stove.
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're not huge cooking people on the road, but a good basic grill is nice. We currently have a Smoke Hollow model I like very much. We had a Weber Q for years that was heavy. The other cooking accessory we like is a portable butane one-burner stove. It gets very hot quickly, its small and easy to store. I wish when we'd bought our rv that there had been an outside kitchen option....I love those. In '08 there wasn't anything like that available.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best:
#1 - 3 quart Instant Pot for RV and 6 quart IP for winter park model.
#2 - Small air fryer, just big enough for 2 people to enjoy fries, onion rings, chicken strips, leftover pizza, etc. Replaced a standard toaster.
#3 - Induction burner.
#4 - Convection microwave; better baking than the oven.
#5 - Countertop dishwasher installed when the propane oven came out.
#6 - Salad spinner.
#7 - Nesting stainless pots/pans.

Instant Pot might be the best overall useful appliance I've ever used.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #6

Induction burner for outside
Stainless Nesting pans that work with induction
Instant read thermometer
Crock pot

We have an IP - 3 Qt and 6 Qt, but I only bring it when I am going to use it - which is not as often as I thought when I bought them. When we start taking longer trips (retirement is looming), I may add the 3 qt as a permanent item
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #7

Gotta have the Vitamix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201017-194719_Gallery.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	305089  
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #8

I guess I might also add this bit of info...Family of 5...Me, DW, and a 2, 7 and 10 year old...

We are definitely looking at an Instant Pot. I will have to go back and look again, but I did find an Instant Pot/Air Fryer combo. It may not have been InstantPot brand...

Once I get everything unpacked and located and then start packing the camper a Coleman Stove will be getting packed away, as well as at least 1 or more dutch ovens. We really do enjoy cooking outside around/with an open fire.

The one "gadget" out of the ordinary I do have in our rig is my Grandpa's old coffee percolator pot. It may be old fashioned, but I remember as far back as I can my Grandpa using it to make coffee in the camper every morning when we were traveling. So no coffee maker in our rig!
Old 10-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #9

Indoor use: being as though my bride and I both like different coffee's - at different strengths (besides our getting up times may differ by several hours) we find the Keurig coffee pot very helpful.

Outdoor use: by far our most used cooking appliance is the Weber Q- grill.

At home we use both a Breville pressure cooker and a dish-washer safe regular crock pot - but on the road (with lots of leisure time) a large B&D crock pot (with temp probe) is quite sufficient (less fuss and muss vs the pressure cooker).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
I guess I might also add this bit of info...Family of 5...Me, DW, and a 2, 7 and 10 year old...

We are definitely looking at an Instant Pot. I will have to go back and look again, but I did find an Instant Pot/Air Fryer combo. It may not have been InstantPot brand...
We had our 14, 11 year grandsons and 7 year granddaughter this summer for about two weeks.

With an Air Fryer and convection microwave the stove never came on. The wife hates using the stove/oven. She uses a small pie tin that fits perfect in the AF and bake a cake, made a pie crust to make lemon pie, you name it.

We sometimes take the IP but it is a little to large to store easily along with the AF. I would be interested in the AF/IP combo, seams as the wife looked into one but decided it she wasn't impressed for some forgotten reason.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #11

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-A...2992988&sr=8-4

Here is one of them I found on Amazon that is dual function...this is a little pricey for an item to buy for the camper alone, but I think eventually we will try one at the house.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:37 AM   #12

We also looked at the IP/AF - that sucker weighs in at a bit over 33 pounds! It's pretty bulky.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All above are great if you have 110 via inverter, generator etc.. we boondock or drycamp 95 % of the time. A good BBQ and old school Dutch Oven for us, adjustable cooking grate and attachment for the oven that swings out to adjust oven temp.....and NO generator humming in the background.

There’s just something about cooking over a fire (weather dependent) it always tastes better.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #14

We use a single induction burner and a hot plate a lot. Really like both.