Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
LED Strip Lights - GoVee RGBIC

Hello all,

Our standard rope accent light (white incandescent) has burned out. It is 12V wired to a switch in our header. I would really like to put something up there with some character and I found several programmable LED strip lights.

I was looking at the RGBIC series from GoVee. What makes these attractive is that each segment can be individually colored so we can set up with Red/White/Blue or Red/Green, etc depending on the time of year.

As they are powered by 120V which is adapted down to 12V I was thinking I could simply wire the controller to my 12V system and skip their adapter.

There was a comment on Amazon that said someone tried it but failed. I cannot understand why that would be the case. Isn't 12V always 12V? I do know that LEDs are required to be wired exactly and you cannot reverse polarity.

Is there any experience here?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

I've used similar strip lights wired straight to 12V without problems so far. I have two "household" multi-colored strips with remotes wired directly into my RVs 12V power. Only issue I could see would be if the strip and or controller needs a constant regulated 12v, if the 110v transformer has more than just a positive and negative output or if the control system works off different voltage.

The voltage in a vehicle can be over 14 volts when the system is charging and I found this was too much for some of the cheaper LED strips. Wasn't long before individual chips were burning out. Might be worth asking the company.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have my LEDs wired directly into my 12v coach supply. The problem is some brands of LED strips are sensitive to higher voltage and the coach converter can be 14.2-14.5 volts at times depending on bulk charge, float charge, etc. Most of the time it runs at around 13.2 volts in float mode. You can purchase a 12v filtered power supply that hooks into the house batteries and maintains an exact 12v all the time but I have never had a problem just running mine off the 13.2v.

Also, be aware that if you get the RGBW LEDs, that requires a different controller and five wire conductor as they contain a fourth LED that is white light. The RGB LEDs mix the three colors to simulate white light like a LED television or computer monitor does.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
LOVE these answers. Thanks. I've ordered them and an power regulator.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Update: this has worked perfectly now for 3 months. Thanks for the guidance.

Tags
led, light, lights