Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I have not evaluated this product but it offers an alternative to the cumbersome fire extinguishers typically found in RVs.

Quote:
New Lightweight First Alert Fire Extinguisher
RV Business
Monday, April 30, 2007

First Alert has introduced a new lightweight and portable fire extinguisher that is said to be as easy to use as a familiar aerosol product.

The Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray weighs less than two pounds and is designed for easy one-hand use. No pins to pull or hoses to maneuver. The Tundra is effective on common fires including paper, fabric, wood, cooking oil and electrical fires.

According to its manufacturer, the new fire-fighting spray covers up to three times greater surface area than a typical actuator and is four times faster than typical fire extinguishers, giving users more time to fight the fire.

It is available at Wal-Mart, Sears, Sears Hardware, Kmart, Meijer, and select True Value and Ace Hardware stores with a suggested MSRP of $19.99; FirstAlert.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #2

Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray is on my list too. But remember that it only has a 3 year lifetime!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #3

Thanks again John for posting helpful information. After reading the fact sheet, this product is indeed a leap forward in home fire extinguishers. I plan to replace present RV extinguishers with these.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #4

Before you spend your $$, check out this site:

http://www.macthefireguy.com/Home-old.htm
Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #5

That "Mac the fire guy" site seems to be just another commerical site trying to sell some VERY HIGH PRICED fire extinguishers.

Not saying they are not good.... just that they are extremely high priced..
Have the feeling that they could be found in a store for a much cheaper price than the online price.

The small hand held models that Chief John shows sound great... except the price tag...

$20 for a unit that only last 3 years is kinda high priced also.....

But of course, like the old adage says.. if it only works one time, it's worth it.

As for me......
I think I'll stick to the old tried and true models... 80# CO2 with frost horn and several smaller "Purple Powder" A-B-C models scattered around the RV and two in each truck.

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Good info, thanks CJ. I have been looking for a unit like this that is small and powerful enough to place in various areas of the coach.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #7

High price is relative. Discharge most dry chemical fire extinguishers in your RV and you might spend the rest of the year cleaning up the mess. A modern chemical foam like Mac sells, not only works with no reflash problem, but is leaves no dangerous residue. You get what you pay for in fire equipment as in any thing else.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:05 AM   #8

I haven't found any store that has one in stock. Walmart here says they do not carry them.
Like Bruce says, use a dry powder BC extinguisher around electronics and you just as well throw them all away. The corrosive powder has ruined it. This includes your electronic gas/diesel engine computers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #9

Got my First Alert Tundra Fire Extinguisher today. Local hardware store ordered it for me. Heres the info: "Store between 32 and 104 degrees F", so don't leave it in the
RV over the winter months! The next is "Performance Exp. 04/24/10" , mine is marked. Warning says not to operate after expiration date. It is not marked A B or C as the fire extingushers we normally see are. It has 3 square pictures with the following markings under them, Grease, Fabric/Wood and Electric. Says it sprays 4 times longer than traditional fire extinguishers, 32 seconds compared to 12 seconds for a large extinguisher and 8 seconds for a small. Says it is "Easy to Use, No need to shake can . Spray in any position". And says it is "Easy Clean Up, Simply wipe area with damp cloth.". "Do not attempt to fight large fires that are too dificult to fight safely from 3 - 4 feet. Claims to be a member of the "National Volunteer Fire Council". There, that the skinny on that stuff! Opps, I forgot. There is no bracket or wall holder. It is a DOT2Q DSC M5749 type can and it sits on counter top or in a cabinet.

Oh, Ray. You can order two for the price of one on line, but think there is shipping on it. Not a bad deal though.
Pat
Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #10

Mac the fire guy here, was just crusin your forum and found something I know a little about. You all were talking about the NEW First Alert Tundra extinguisher. Have you tested it yet? A couple of us old fireguys did at the Life on Wheels program in Bowling Green. We found out it didn't work quite like their video shows. The one on the video has a different nozzle spray then the one on the shelf. It also had a hard time putting out a skillet fire. I had the opportunity to talk to the marking VP and the developer. I talked to them about changing the nozzle to make it work easier, no luck.

As far as using PKP, just remember it's toxic and corrosive. I used them when I was a firefighter at Hill AFB, and it distroyed several electronic items on an F16. The Air Force was not happy, even if I saved their aircraft.

The new materials that are used to save your RV are expensive, but so is the RV, and your life is even more valuable.
Mac
macthefireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mac, We participated in your fire safety seminar at the FMCA rally in Indio last week and mentioned this website to you. Glad you found it.

Your seminar had been mentioned by others here and we're glad we attended. You opened our thoughts on an important subject - fire safety. That's what most say who have attended -- "It made us think about and rehearse a plan, just in case."
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #12

Mac,
Thanks for the info on how this stuff field tested! Don't think I will be buying anymore of it.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by parmm:
Heres the info: "Store between 32 and 104 degrees F", so don't leave it in the
RV over the winter months!
That would also eliminate leaving it in the RV during the summer months for most of us on the West Coast.

A question for Mack the Fire Guy: What is your opinion on Halon Extinguishers?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig P.:
Halon Extinguishers?
I think the Halon Extinguishers are no longer sold in the U.S. You don't want to breath the fumes of the Halon extinguishing agent, therefore you would not want to be inside a motorhome and use the extinguisher.