Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Magne shade

Hi all!
I don't know if you have heard about "MAGNE SHADE" (Not shouting - that's the title) from Hunckler Fabrication. I saw a post in another forum about it and decided to check into it.

I made a decision today. I ordered the "MAGNE SHADE" (still not shouting) from Hunckler Fabrication. I did that after visiting the web site, and viewing the "gallery," "You Tube" presentation and saw how easy it was to install.

I was also impressed with the very timely response, besides the web page notification when I clicked on contact. It was late at night, but today I received a phone call from Roger Hunckler confirming my contact email, and based on the pleasantness of the conversation, the You Tube presentation, and easy installation method (Earlene can learn another task), I made my order.

I received a second follow up email confirming that they had found a 2008 Winnebago Destination and would be making the pattern from it by this weekend.

I'm looking forward to receiving it and I'll post a short review when I do.

Anyone else looking for information on the screen can call them direct at 336-414-4364.

I can't wait.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm in Mocksville tonight for a rally, I think I'll look him up. It looks really good!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Wayne

Would you mind telling us the cost and how many windows you ordered. I'd need Windshields (2), Drivers side Window, and the Door on the passengers side. Just trying to get a ballpark cost.

Dick
Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those shades look great. They have a winner. How long did it take to get them and a ball part cost estimate for a Class A?
jDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
jDavid

I filled out the form on the web site yesterday evening about 8:00PM Mountain Time and the quote was here when I turned on the computer this Morning.

We have a 1999 Tradewinds and I ask for the windshield, driver side window, and door on the passenger side.
Prices were:

The windshield set is 395.00 (includes interior magnets, carrying bag)
The slider window is 75.00 ( includes magnets)
The entry door window is 60.00 (includes magnets)
Windshield wiper covers no charge with the above.

Dick
Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stewart,
Let us know what you see and hear please.

Dick,
Glad you got the prices from the horses mouth. I was going to suggest you call them as each coach may be a little different. I only ordered the Windshield for now and it was the same price as what you were quoted.

I would be concerned with attaching a magnet permanently to the slider window. I would think that it would interfere with the opening. However, those magnets are so powerfull the one or two on the slider would not have to be permanent but would require a two person hook up. One inside, holding a magnet, and one person outside putting on the shade.

Way to go Magne Shade.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Wayne

Good point on the slider. I could just skip that one and use the existing curtain on that side. It just looked so nice on there web site having the Magne Shade all the way around the front.

Dick
Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dick,
Those magnets are powerful enough to hold that small side screen in place. Your partner would just have to be inside, and when you get it set up on the outside, your partner would just position the magnet over the one they see through the window. I don't think it's going to go anywhere. When I'm able to get the side shades I'll specifically ask the Huckler's how they apply to a sliding window.

Maybe I can get an email from them with an explanation and post it here. Or, if the moderators will allow them to ask specific questions pertaining to installation. It would help all that are purchasing the Magne Shade.

Moderators???
Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I spent quite a bit of time with Roger today. We purchased one for the windshield and one each for driver and pass side windows which have sliders. He is going to add a small velcro strap to the end of the shade that attaches to the sliding window so we have the option of velcroing it to the frame. That way we can still open the sliding window. We would not use the magnet in that corner.

The top portion of these sliding windows is fixed so only one corner will have to be done this way.

Pricing is as Dick reported.

We will get them in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to using them.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good information. Thanks.

We are leaving for about 14 days this Wed. My son and D-I-L stay in the stick house when we are away. We are so looking forward to this trip after my surgery on Sep 15th. I ordered the Window Magna Shade, but leaving Wed. will not give enough time to get to me. Next trip.

I received a reply concerning the sliding window. Here is the gist of it for one installation on a Newmar:

.....the magnets on the slider (rear bottom corner will clear the screen) what we are doing is attaching a short section of Velcro on that corner with a Velcro dot, so that he has the option of opening the window. The side slider windows have an aluminum extrusion sewn into the top of the shade spanning the upper magnets, this carries the fabric straight across the top and eliminates the fabric from bunching in the center, this is totally unnoticeable from the inside or outside of the coach. Installation of the slider shades actually take about 5 seconds to place....
Old 10-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Luv2Go

Thanks for the info. That all makes sense to me. I only need to be concerned with the driver side since I have a front entry. It's not a window I open often, but still not being able to would be bad.

Thanks Dick

BTW the prices were copied from the E-Mail I got from Roger Hunckler.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Magne Shade has a new web site look.

Check it out.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I received my Magne Shade the other day. I was in no hurry to get it since I was on the road. It came in just as we got back.

Today, my son and I installed it. Two people to install it sure makes it a little easier, but I'll bet that it could be done by one person with some scotch tape.

It's a real simple process. There are seven magnets for my Winnebago destination. Five across the top, and one in each bottom corner. These magnets are STRONG and that is no exaggeration. We did a dry run, with my son on the inside and me with the shade on the outside. As I got a built in magnet attached to the shade close to being in position, my son would place a magnet on the inside of the window. A little sliding of the magnets was all that was needed to get everything lined up perfectly. Once we were satisfied, he held a shade magnet in place and I detached the magnet from the inside and peeled the adhesive backing off and reattached the magnet. I never got a time on my watch, but I'd guess it was less than 30 minutes for the first time installation. Probably closer to 15 minutes.

The nice thint is that there is no permanent marring of the coach. A razor and some Goo-B-Gone will remove the magnets form the inside should you need to.

I have ordered the side shades today

Here is what the finished results looked like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1844  

Old 11-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey administrators. Change the spelling of Magna to Magne. If I could edit, I'd do it myself. Just a dumb spelling mistake.

The web site is still Magne Shade - Home

Thanks, and I still like them. I'm parked in front of the stick house and I'll go out and sit in the "captain's chair" wondering when we can take off again. I'd be gone now if the "kids" were not here.