Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2023, 05:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Magnum ME-BMK vs Victron Smart Shunt

Just replaced our house batteries and would like to add one of these to better monitor, understand, our battery usage when boon docking. Does anyone have experience with both of these units and can suggest which way they would go? Both are around the same cost and ease of installation but it seems to me that the Victron provides more usable date albeit through an app vs the Magnum is an add on to the remote and inverter already installed with the coach. Any thoughts appreciated.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
Community Moderator

I went the Magnum route (shunt is installed, but I haven’t installed everything else yet) because that allows the auto generator start function to use SOC (state of charge) instead of just voltage. It should be much more accurate that way….not starting too early, nor trying to start when batteries are too low.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:40 AM   #3

I have the Magnum, and installed the Victron for a friend. I already had the Magnum display, and it networked in conveniently. The Victron is very nice as well, and has Bluetooth connectivity, but if I had it I think it would probably be too far away to link up from the front of the coach, as is the case for our Renogy solar controller.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:53 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I started with the BMK because everything else is magnum but then changed to the victron smart shunt because I can just take a quick look at my phone and see what the batteries are doing. Beats getting up and going to the ARC to see. You know like with a TV remote. Why go change the channel when you can just hit a button on the remote. Um... if you can find the remote. Either work.
scasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:27 AM   #5
dp7

I believe that both shunts are electrically equivalent. I recall a previous post by C.Martin where the Victron shunt was installed for it's remote monitoring capability. The victron shunt was also wired to the magnum ARC panel so the magnum system had access to the shunts data. Seemed like the best of both worlds.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:23 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I ended up going with the Victron shunt because it seems to have more functionality vs the magnum. The biggest thing I hope to gain is a better understanding of our battery usage when boon docking so either would have accomplished that.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:02 PM   #7

I have the Magnum BMK It is not accurate at all. I've had it since 2017 and many many calls with Magnum engineers even replaced it. It just is not accurate. It is off by at least 10% every day unless you get to 100% every day. With solar one does not get there every day. I'd go with Victron before Magnum
Old 01-04-2023, 06:41 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I have the Magnum BMK It is not accurate at all. I've had it since 2017 and many many calls with Magnum engineers even replaced it. It just is not accurate. It is off by at least 10% every day unless you get to 100% every day. With solar one does not get there every day. I'd go with Victron before Magnum
Its funny you mention this. In my prior post I was going to say that a RV tech told me a while back when I was having and AC issue that the Magnum "remote" on the inside of the coach is notoriously wrong and don't count on the numbers it displays. I didn't want to start a debate but interesting that you mention this as this was another reason I went with Victron.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:06 PM   #9

Victron makes 2 types of BMVs. The smart shunt which is an all in one and has the Bluetooth in the shunt. The other product is the BMV712 which has a separate display, and the display has the Bluetooth. I have heard lots of complaints about the smart shunt's Bluetooth range. I have a BMV712 and the Bluetooth range is much better then my other 3 victron Bluetooth devices. I can access the SOC and current flow to/from the batteries from anywhere in my motorhome. The BMV has a relay output that I am using to start my AGS based on the SOC.

I don't know anything about the Magnum BMV, but am very happy with my Victron BMV712, both function and accuracy.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:17 PM   #10

I have the Victron Smart Shunt and I love it. Yes the Bluetooth range is very short but it hasn't been an issue, I just stand near the steps when I want to know. It's not like you need to keep checking every hour.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:06 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a Victron BMV 712 in our last RV and were very happy with it. Installed Li batteries and a battery monitor is the only way to really know your SOC. Have a Magnum inverter in our new coach and plan to put in a Victron shunt. Was planning on a smart shunt, but based on dssl’s comments I may have to re-think that.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:45 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
You need a Magnum Inv/Chg to use the BMK. Correct ?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:48 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
That is correct. The BMK plugs directly into the inverter and then you can read the info on the Magnum remote inside the coach.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #14

So am I understanding correctly that the Victron Smart Shunt will communicate with the Magnum remote through the comm connection on the Magnum inverter?
NannaKP is offline   Reply With Quote