Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 06:02 PM   #1

Metal Valve Stems ??

What is considered a metal valve stem. I have some some "metal stems" that also have a rubber section. I have seen some that appear to be all metal.

If using with Steel or Aluminum wheels do you need to consider different "types"

Basically I see a lot of talk about metal valve stems and using with TPMS but it seems there is some variability in what is considered a metal stem.

New to this area so pardon my question if it should be more obvious.

Thank you
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.amazon.com/metal-valve-s...tal+valve+stem

Here you go,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
For TPMS all metal is best.
I started with rubber that had a decorative metal sleeve on my Jeep. After one trip you could see where the TPMS sensors were hitting the wheels from flexing. Immediately changed to all metal.
Went with https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits on the RV to get rid of the extensions.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #4

A metal valve stem is just that. If you see rubber, it is a rubber valve stem. Most, if not all, tpms manufacturers stress the need for metal stems as the biggest failure of wheels with a tpms is from rubber stems. Steel is preferred, brass is ideal as there is no dissimilar metal corrosion and aluminum will do with a touch of di-electric grease. Most aluminum rv wheels are very hard to fit with metal stems that will fit the mounting area and not stick out so far that a sensor will get taken out by a curb. Steel wheels are very easy to fit as they have no recess that has to be dealt with. Good luck as every different aluminum wheel has a different recess and angle. Not standard like steel wheels.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #5

Ok so basically you take the RV to a tire place and have them replace all the stems, correct ?

Thank you for the info.

R
Old 06-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post
Ok so basically you take the RV to a tire place and have them replace all the stems, correct
R
Yes, the standard rubber valve is only rated for 65 psi, the best 80 , metal valves as well as being a solid mount for TPMS sensors are good to 200 psi.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post
What is considered a metal valve stem. I have some some "metal stems" that also have a rubber section. I have seen some that appear to be all metal.

If using with Steel or Aluminum wheels do you need to consider different "types"

Basically I see a lot of talk about metal valve stems and using with TPMS but it seems there is some variability in what is considered a metal stem.

New to this area so pardon my question if it should be more obvious.

Thank you
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/manufacturer/38/borg-equipment
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #8

I was having trouble with my TPMS and partial rubber valve stems leaking air whenever I went over 60 miles/hr. Last year got so bad that I took them off. So this year I figured I would change to a metal valve stem. Called around. The tire store that I go to for my cars said they didn't have any metal valve stems ( and didn't offer to try). Called another tire place and they suggested a Goodyear tire place next to a truck stop. Called them and set up an appt. When I got there they took the first tire off and discovered that the metal valve stems that they had wouldn't work with my rims. Evidently the shelf on the inside was to narrow to accommodate the stems that they had. The metal rim on the inside of the stem was too big to fit my rims. Discouraged I went home and did research on valve stems thinking it was just a problem that their stems were designed for bigger truck rims. So I ordered several different types including TR416, TR 416S and others. All of which screw down from the outside. And just to be sure I also ordered a Gorilla VS402 inner mount although once installed you can't check to make sure the nuts are tight.

A neighbor works at an auto repair shop that also does tires and he agreed to take a look at it. He tried to install the TR416 and some of the external mounts but they all were too wide on the inside for my rims. The only one that would work was the Gorilla inner mount type. So I just have to hope that none of the nuts get loose.

But just finished traveling from Iowa to California and no more problems with leaking air! WooHoo!

Hopefully things will go smoother for you. But its a relief to now have a reliable TPMS.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #9

My Stems

It finally stopped raining enough to take a look at my Stems. Looks like I already have metal stems from the mfg.

Ignore the dirty wheels

I think I'm good to go with the TPMS System

R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210625_192244.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	333617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210625_192248.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	333618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210625_192300.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	333619   Click image for larger version

Name:	'21 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW - ext.-14.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	333620  

Old 07-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #10

I use one piece metal valve stems with no extensions and TPMS. Stems available at: http://www.yourtireshopsupply.com/
Old 07-02-2021, 04:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I use one piece metal valve stems with no extensions and TPMS. Stems available at: http://www.yourtireshopsupply.com/
I got my stems from the same place. The Borg dually kit solved all the problems I was having with valve extensions. The kit was well worth the cost.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems