Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 10:10 PM   #1

Motor stops on Dometic AE Weather Pro Awning

I have a 2006 Travel Supreme MH with the original Dometic AE Weather Pro awning. The fabric was replaced a few yrs ago. This weekend, while camping out, I was extending the awning and it would partially extend and then just stop even though I was holding down the extend button. After releasing the button and waiting about 15 seconds or so, I could extend it some more but not all the way and it would stop again. When the awning stopped extending, I couldn't immediately retract it, which was kind of scary since that would have prevented me from moving the RV. But after another short wait, I could (thankfully) retract it! When I got home, I tested the awning in our garage and it did the same thing. The model number is 85561001.400R in case that makes a difference (I presume the "R" means the motor is R sided). Replacement motors go for over $500 and they're not readily available. Does anyone here have any similar experiences with this type of awning? Does this sound like a awning motor situation? Advice? Thanks for responding.
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 07:04 AM   #2

Just a thought on the problem, but I'm not an expert. Some motors have a thermo protect cutting the motor when they get hot. When they cool down they will resume. I'm not sure if this applies in your case. Of course there could be several resons for overheating. Binding or lack of lubrication is my first place to look.
Here are some other awning common problems.

There are several problems that can cause the awning not to work correctly. Take some time inspecting the awning for any signs of warping, weather damage, rusting, tearing in the awning fabric itself, or the motor overheating and working too hard. Check the power connections to see if there is a short in the wiring, or the cord is not plugged in.

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/ho...torized-awning

If you can, use a voltmeter and verify power is not intermittent.

Hope this helps.
Mitch84HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #3

My automatic awning does this when the auto retract is turned off at the control box in my bay area, this can be turned on or off. Awning will retract fully when you push the close button and hold for a few seconds in either mode. On or off mode can be controlled with remote control also. Hope this helps.
QA2FalconRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QA2FalconRet View Post
My automatic awning does this when the auto retract is turned off at the control box in my bay area, this can be turned on or off. Awning will retract fully when you push the close button and hold for a few seconds in either mode. On or off mode can be controlled with remote control also. Hope this helps.

Same here. I thought the motor was going out the first time I turned the wind sensor off.

Jim58
Old 08-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #5

The controller box in the underneath compartment by the entry door has a wind detection switch and a toggle for the awning. I flipped the wind sensor off. The vehicle is in my garage, so there's no appreciable wind. The very first time only, on operating the toggle switch, I was able to fully extend and then retract the awning on. After that, it would not do it again no matter what the position of the wind sensor switch was set at. The awning would either do nothing or move just a little in either direction. There is a toggle switch in the RV by the entry door. It behaves similarly. It will extend the awning a little, then stop. It will not immediately do anything else including retract. Wait 10-15 seconds, and it will fully retract or extend a little. There is a "wireless" remove control for the awning. It does the same as all of the above - no difference. When the awning is at least partially extended, the power cable to the motor is accessible in the R arm. I'll need to get some help checking the voltages while operating the switches as that'll take more than 2 hands. I wonder if the issue is the main controller box in the underneath compartment. I haven't opened it.

(Have you noticed that if you ask for technical assistance from any RV-related company, you never get a response?)
Old 08-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #6

I got my 8' ladder out and my wife to operate the controls. There is a 2-connector power plug at the end of the R arm, accessible when it is extended. Disconnecting it, it goes from +14V to -14V depending on the open/close action (I have 2 Battleborn lithium house batteries). Holding down the button on the remote in either direction results in a steady, non-wavering voltage. The action is the same as previously described with normal function to start, then it functions again only after a 10-15 second wait.

I opened the control box (4 little phillips screws). There is an intact 15 amp automotive-type fuse and a spare fuse taped to the L inside of the box. There is a label on one of the components that appears to identify the PC board. There are at least 2 relays on the board and operating the toggle switch on the box cover causes them to audibly click. The inside is clean and nothing looks burned or damaged. Nothing feels hot. There are a bunch of wires going into the top of the controller, all different colors, 9 in total, with 2 of those intentionally cut at the top of the controller box leaving 7 apparently active cables. They don't feel hot. There is a communication-type cable (phone jack type) on the right side of the box that, when disconnected, causes a beeping sound from inside the controller box. I re-installed the cover on the controller box.

The open and close controls now don't seem to work at all at this moment. Waiting 15 seconds now makes no difference. There is a whirring sound coming from the awning motor when the controls are selected in either direction but there is no other motion from the awning motor. At this point, I think it's likely to be the awning motor that's defective. Unless someone else has a better idea, it's time to look for a place that can service this awning.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:08 PM   #7

I contacted Dometic and actually received a response from them in 1 day! I asked for any repair centers in the Houston area and they sent me those. Then, not knowing if they worked on these at our usual RV service place in Conroe (Milstead RV Service Center), I spoke with the service advisor and he said that they repair these frequently and it sounded like a broken worm gear. We will drive it up there next week - a PITA drive through Houston, but Milstead is competent and honest. I will post a reply one more time when we find out what the actual problem was.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysigel View Post
I contacted Dometic and actually received a response from them in 1 day! I asked for any repair centers in the Houston area and they sent me those. Then, not knowing if they worked on these at our usual RV service place in Conroe (Milstead RV Service Center), I spoke with the service advisor and he said that they repair these frequently and it sounded like a broken worm gear. We will drive it up there next week - a PITA drive through Houston, but Milstead is competent and honest. I will post a reply one more time when we find out what the actual problem was.

Any luck? I have the same awning and always curious about problems and the solution.

Jim58

Tags
awning, dometic, motor