Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

New mattress

The wife and I bought our first RV last summer. We've put 15,000 miles on it 14 months. Our worst complaint is that our mattress SUCKS!

Does anyone have any recommendations to replace our Queen Short mattress?

Thank you for your opinions and responses!!
Rmax357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmax357 View Post
The wife and I bought our first RV last summer. We've put 15,000 miles on it 14 months. Our worst complaint is that our mattress SUCKS!

I am sure there are other recommendations out there of whole replacements. We got a high quality 3 or 4 inch memory foam topper that came with a sleeve that wraps over the topper and the mattress (like a sheet) to hold the topper in place permanently. It made all the difference in the world, even with our stock mattress. We love it. Cheap and easy....probably $80 or $100
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Before you go to the trouble of replacing the whole mattress (a custom size will be expensive), try a memory foam topper. You can easily cut them with an electric knife to exactly fit your current mattress size.

We did this on our prior coach & it greatly improved sleeping.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We added the memory foam topper as an interim solution. It works great and is no longer "interim".
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #5

Ditto on the mattress topper!! Our mattress was just adequate but the topper was the ticket.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been happy with ours that we got six years ago. Took it out of one rig and into the current one. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #7

Let's face it, mattresses that come with new RV's direct from the factory are not known for being the best quality, and comfort mattresses.
Even the upgraded models are questionable, and an expensive option.
We have replaced the standard grade, and upgraded mattresses in 3 RV's, 2 boats, and just recently, a high end Sealy mattress at home.
We go a local Foam / Upholstery shop in Hamilton ON, that offers various grades of foam, order their best quality foam, 6" or 7" thick "firm", with 3" thick "medium" fused together for overall thickness of 9-10" or to your needs.
Then, just add a mattress cover approx. $35.
These have been the most comfortable mattresses we've found anywhere, made to our specs, size, shape, thickness and level of firmness.
They have held up over many years of regular use and in all cases, significantly more cost effective than the national mattress retailer.
The key thing is to ensure you order "top quality" foam.
Our preference is not to use memory foam.
Can't guarantee this will be the answer to your mattress issues for everyone, but we were not prepared to spend money on another typical RV mattress.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We added a memory foam topper, to me is was like being a bug stuck on a sticky pad.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:41 AM   #9

We also added a topper but it was not memory foam. It is now in our second rig and been used for 12 years. Love it.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #10

If you go with memory foam/foam combo as a topper or mattress, just remember that foam is like anything else...there are high quality foams and there are yucky, sticky horrible foams. Get high quality. It makes all the difference. The ratings on Amazon.com and the reviews will usually give you a good clue as you search.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to consider adding a good topper. Sleep on Latex has 100% natural latex toppers with satisfaction guarantee. I am a side sleeper and I put a 3" medium firmness on my old mattress, then a 2" soft on top of that. It's like sleeping one cloud!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmax357 View Post

If you're anywhere near Houston, TX there is a place called Texas Mattress Makers. They were awesome! They make mattresses for the hotel industry, but they also have 3 retail locations. We had them make 3 custom mattresses for us. 1 queen with rounded edges at the foot and two bunk mattresses with notches in them. The nice thing was that we got to lay down on each of the types of mattresses to see which materials we liked. We then actually got to layer each of the materials that we chose to see what the end product would feel like. We took our queen mattress from 5 inches high to 9 inches and the bunk mattresses from 2 inches to 4 inches. We chose premium materials, but for all three mattresses it was only $1600. Also, it only took 1 week for them to make the mattresses. We felt that then end result was well worth it.
FiveDayNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #13

Thank you all for your great recommendations. She and I will talk it over and make some decisions!! Again, thank you all.
Rmax357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #14

Replacement mattress

I slept on my New RV mattress once then got the Zinus 8 inch thick, RV Queen to replace it. I didn’t want it too think so I don’t have to jump up too high to get on the bed. I find it comfortable. As another wrote, get the 8”, or 10” Zinus, and yes it is available on Amazon, I just checked. If you already got a new mattress then great, for others looking here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Deluxe-...547537&sr=8-13
stratoguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress