Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New RVND 7720 LM Rand McNally GPS

Hello;
I just received my Rand McNally 7720 GPS. I must say it is loaded with information. I have read previous threads about their prior GPS about the speaker. I can tell you that this speaker appears to be quite load. It is adjustable of course. It does so much that it takes a bit of time to learn about all of the features. However the main purpose to get from here to there is intuitive and that is the main purpose of a GPS. I would like to tell you more as I use it. I have wanted a GPS for my RV.
In the past I went online to the Good Sam Club, FMCA etc. to get my routing so that I would not get in trouble going on the wrong roads etc. It seems that the good routing I once was able to print out has changed and no longer can i get good routing. FMCA had me on parkways that I was not permitted to be on. The Good Sam Club that once took me from one address to the other now only takes me from town to town, and not tell me where to go once I get into the town.
I searched for information to find what the best GPS would be. It just might be this 7720. I hope i can be of some help to others as I use mine and learn more about it....
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #2

I hope you keep us all informed. I think there are several of us out here who would love to know more about the 7720 especially due to some of the less than stellar reports on the 7710.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
The 7720 is on my Christmas wish list so I am very interested in your comments as well :-)
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
garmin has a new unit the DEZL 760 LMT availble Dec 2012. Can put your vehicle weight, width, length etc. Can do truck or car routing. Has many features for truckers if one wishes to avoid city traffic routes. On my Christmas wish list. Hope Santa reads this. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I was wondering what features the 7720 has over the 7715. The only thing I can see is the video capability of the 7720 which the 7715 does not have. The 7715 is $100 cheaper here in Canada then the 7720.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
I hope you keep us all informed. I think there are several of us out here who would love to know more about the 7720 especially due to some of the less than stellar reports on the 7710.
hello;
can you tell me what you mean by less than stellar re the 7710. I have heard many people were not happy with it...But what are your reasons...Thank you.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My younger brother just bought the RM 720 Truck GPS and loves it. He says it even has a "Walmart" button!
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

I've been researching this extensively and decided to get this one. The 7720. From what I've read, the earlier one had poor display and glare was an issue. Supposedly that problem has been fixed. There were a couple other things but can't remember. They made changes according to customer feedback. I'm just waiting for a thanksgiving sale and plan to buy one but would love to hear from anyone that has it.
Dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
This 7715 is on ebay. Brand New Rand McNally 7" GPS RVND 7715LM Navigation Routing RVs RVGPS Travel 070609007502 | eBay
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #10

This is the older one , I think, with the screen issues. Not sure but you can get a brand new 7720 with lifetime maps for 320 on amazon right now. So by the time you bought this one with the 90$. For lifetime maps, you're spending about the same for an older model, a little less, maybe 10 or 20 $. Something to consider
Dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
garmin has a new unit the DEZL 760 LMT availble Dec 2012. Can put your vehicle weight, width, length etc. Can do truck or car routing. Has many features for truckers if one wishes to avoid city traffic routes. On my Christmas wish list. Hope Santa reads this. ed
Hello
The new 7720 has the means to put in the type of vehicle, car, Class A etc. and then the length, with trailer, weight, height and more. There is a lot of info available on the 7720....the Walmarts, Flying J and others. Has tons of info for the RV versus some GPS units that are designs for truckers. I am in the midst of a review on the 7720 at this time....and yes it does include lifetime updates. ( I did not check but usually the companies that offer lifetime updates is only for the original owner and of only that unit.)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtbriten View Post
This is the older one , I think, with the screen issues. Not sure but you can get a brand new 7720 with lifetime maps for 320 on amazon right now. So by the time you bought this one with the 90$. For lifetime maps, you're spending about the same for an older model, a little less, maybe 10 or 20 $. Something to consider
It is my understanding that the screen and sound issues were with the 7710 model. The 7715 includes lifetime maps to the original purchaser.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Rand McNally 7720 Also has input selections for the type of vehicle...In mine I put class A and the length if trailer i added that, weight, height etc. Also has traffic...construction....wifi for weather.....it know the posted speed limits and you can set a warning...I put 5 miles over and if the speed limit is 55 and as soon as i hit 60 it says speed warning....How is this for scary.....all of a sudden in says in two tenths of a mile speed reduction and i look ahead and sure enough the posted speed limit dropped....Saves you from speed traps...it also yells out sharp curve ahead....So far i have not felt alone. The new 7720 does offer lots of info...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't see a 7715 on the Rand McNallly site I think some ones trying a scam???

Tags
gps