Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Norcold 3 fan Special Deluxe Fan

Has anyone installed these fans inside their fridge? If so are the fans actually quite so while the fridge door is shut they can't be heard even a low hum?

https://rvcoolingunit.com/Norcold-3-...-P5672098.aspx
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

Looks more like eye candy and over kill to me. Many say one of the small Camco fridge fans are enough to stir the air.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

Does one fan stop the frost on the fins?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The small fan units are OK for smaller fridges, but for the 1200 Norcold you need something larger like the FridgeFix fan bar!

https://smartrvproducts.com/works/

I'm not familiar with the fans you refer to, but if Dave Force says they are fine for larger fridges then I would have confidence in that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Look at this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/batte...an-286479.html bought a large computer fan on ebay. Been in for quite some time now, works very well. Post #16 has the picture's.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #6

MSHappyCampers Thanks for that link their install directions are a great help for the wire run through the drain tube/ connecting to 12v supply.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Itinerant1
I have a Norcold 1200 LRIM refrigerator in my motorhome. I have no experience with the fan you are referencing, but I installed, and still run the FrigFix fan bar and it works extremely well and have never had frost or ice build up on the evaporator fins. In addition, I think it helps to provide better circulation of air so the frig cools down faster with the fan bar.
The fan bar I purchased was for the Norcold 1200 which came with 3 individual fans in it. I removed the center fan as I did not feel I needed the extra air volumn nor did I want any extra heat load from the 3rd fan.

As a side note, I have used the small Camco battery powered fan, and in my opinion they are a waste of money as they never worked well for me.

Hope this is of information for you and happy RV'g

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #8

Decided to order the fan in the first post. I'll have to defrost the ice build up on the fins.Will update after installation.
Also, I installed an amish cooling unit 1.5 years ago which was keeping the fridge cooler till ice started to build up on both sides of the fins. We'll see if this helps with the build up of ice overtime.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #9

We used the 2 fan version with great success. Since it hooks to the 12v power source you never have to worry about batteries. It ran for 4 years continuously without issue. We also installed the 3 fan unit at the top fridge vent on the outside with the thermostat, it worked great as well for the 4 years we had it. Both made a huge difference in the cooling ability of the fridge.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #10

Changing the Norcold cooling unit to an Amish cooling unit back in 2017 on our Norcold (N821rt). The fridge was getting a lot of ice build up after 6+ months on the evaporator fins it started on the left side about 7 fins across, then the right side started icing on 7 fins across. The fridge did stay cool but the settings had to be turned up a couple of numbers.

I did order the https://rvcoolingunit.com/Norcold-3-...-P5672098.aspx
Cost $72.95, shipping $7.65 total $80.60

Seems to be made well and has a thin profile. Comes with a blue led light that can be turned on/ off with toggle switch, 3 fans (2 fans on one toggle switch & 1 on the other toggle switch). The 12vdc power comes from the back outside of the fridge. The wire gets run through the drain tube (easy to do) pull the end off the outside tube/ reinsert after the wire comes out. 2 terminal ends are supplied, 1-12vdc piggyback terminal and 1 ground terminal.
With nothing running in the rig and I'm trying to hear noise, sitting at the kitchen table with my back to the fridge within 3' and all 3 fans are running you can barely hear a noise (like a very slight humm) in the distance. With the single or dual fan running I don't hear them. If tv, fans, A/C on you wouldn't know the interior fridge fans are running until you opened the fridge door.
Readings from the battery display 12vdc power consumption with led light & 3 fans is .5a, 2 fans .2-.3a

The bottom of fan sticks out on an angle from the evaporator fins 1 3/4" , I still can place 2- 1.75 qt ice tea containers 6 3/8" (depth) x 7 1/2" (height) x 3 5/8 (width) on the top shelf without interface from the fan frame . So no lost interior space.

Looks like a nightclub in the fridge.

Hopefully this will cut down/ eliminate the ice build up on the evaporator fins and help with circulation of the cooler air in the fridge. Time will tell, I'll update in a few months of how it's working (for better or worse).
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #11

I installed the same fan(s) and they work great. I tried routing down the condensate drain, but it blocked too much water from draining properly. I, subsequently, elected to just drill a hole through the back of the fridge to route the wiring. Little caulk and all is good. For the outside vent fans, I used the technique below.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #12

I bought a fan similar to this one last summer (2017) https://amzn.to/2QdC0sF and put it into the Norcold 1200 when needed using a small phone charger battery, this exact one: https://amzn.to/2oVyqqx to run it for about 6 hours.

That worked well for me. But, I didn't need it this summer. And we were in a lot of extreme heat this summer. The only difference I made prior to this summers trip was to install an ARP with one blower fan that pulls air directly from the lower louvers and blows it up to the condenser coils in the back of the refer. You can set the temperature it comes on at on the ARP device. I really wasn't sure it would help, but I was incorrect.

Not sure how that kept my inside coils frost free though. We were in extreme heat for about 5 weeks of our 8 week trip to the northwest and over to Glacier NP and then back to San Diego. Extreme heat to me is camping above 100 degrees in the day time. Once we crossed over the Cascades it hovered around 108. The only respite after leaving the coast (which was almost cold) was at Glacier NP for a week where it was high 80's. Trekking south from there and thru all of southern Idaho from Dubois to Boise was all in extreme heat. Then down thru Nevada and over to 395 south from Reno was painfully hot night and day in late July & early August. The Norcold stayed cool the whole trip. Thank You ARP blower!! Last summer we were always messing with the refer to try to keep it cool with more fans. This summer I occasionally just turned the temp down via the front of fridge. Then turn is back up when we were in cooler climes. Never needed to put in the inside fan! -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #13

Closing in on month now and not hint of frost on the fins with even cooling from top to bottom of fridge. The fridge setting was 4 or 5 out of 8 to keep cool now 2 works perfectly. Overall a worthwhile add on.

Tags
fan, norcold