Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 11:18 PM   #1

Outdoor Courtesy Lights

I would like to add an outdoor courtesy/safety light vs. a "porch" light for my camper to illuminate the steps when stumbling back from the campfire late at night. My camper does not have a porch light, just the LED strip under the awning. This is a manufacturer stock photo of my trailer.

I hate the obnoxiously bright blue LED strip and have already bought a color changing, dimmable strip and controller to replace it. The existing ones are way too bright and pull in the bugs for miles.

I'm thinking one of the single LEDs like over the patio (also blue) would be perfect to mount near the door. I still don't like the blue - red or white would be better. They are bright enough to illuminate the door lock, assist handle and steps which is my main focus. The control panel is in a cabinet right inside the left of the door so it would be simple to tap off of the awning lights - I would add another switch to be able to leave the courtesy light on while the canopy light is off. It would likely go between the right speaker and air vent (black rectangle to the left of the door).

Any idea where to get such a LED? This is about the best I have found. I'm afraid it might be too bright.

I'm also thinking of adding a second one inside above the control panel. I keep a dollar store nightlight plugged into an outlet to the inside right of the door but I think it gets a bit bright for the kids sleeping on the back fold out couches.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 04:10 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Sounds like you have thought this out and have a good plan. I like your ideas. Send it!
JaytheDJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #3

We use a solar motion sensor light that is dim until you get within about six feet and then gets bright enough to meet all your needs. It is mounted to the right of the steps and below the beltline.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:32 AM   #4

Look at Harbour Freight (or similar) for LED ‘licence plate’ light fixture. ~$5.00. They are hard wired and can mounted to direct the light where needed. I’ve used them to replace the incandescent floor lights around the bathroom and step.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Some people have added a light below the steps in the opening.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, light, lights, outdoor