Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Owner Evaluations of 22.5" Tires

We've all seen tire discussions until we're blue in the face, but I thought I'd like to narrow down the search a little. It is also self serving as I'll be needing six new ones next year when my Michelin 235/80/22.5 turn 10.

What brand do you currently have and would you recommend them to a loved one (not necessarily me, but I think you get my drift)? It's time for me to do my due diligence and I want to know what users feel about the brand they own. I currently use my MH four months a year by driving from point A to point B and staying there and then returning it to storage for the remaining eight months. Not the most ideal condition for tires, but that's the way it is and has been since 2004 when I got the MH new. The tires are always covered (storage is outside) and I live in central Texas where the climate is moderate during winters and hot otherwise. I generally take two or three short trips during the years rockhounding, but that's pretty much it. Oh, four months of the year the tires are on concrete and the other eight they are on pea gravel. I will drive less than 5,000 on a normal year (last year I drove to the left coast and had about 8,500 miles, but that was an exception). I average about 60 mph when I drive towing a Jeep Wrangler. GVWR is 22,000 (actual weight is about 21,000) and GCVR is 26,000 lbs. I don't know what else to add that would help clarify things so I'll end here.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Golden, I have always used Michelin on my auto's truck's and MH. Good service, I keep my tires covered on the MH. I suppose tires are like elbows...everyone has a few.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Michelin 22.5's on my 2011 Challenger 38 footer. A friend has an older Challenger with the 19 inch wheels. He can't believe the difference in handling and ride. I imagine that is why all the newer models are coming out with the larger wheels and tires.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

I recently re-tired with, wait for It, Double Coin tires.

I did so because of the price, but after my own due diligence. Lot's of info on the web.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
I just replaced 8 year old Yokohamas with Michelin XRVs. The Michelins really improved the ride and handling.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I think any new tire will give u a better ride.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #7

I was open to any brand but decided to replace Mich XRV's with the same:
-little price advantage in our region for any other brands,
-XRVs weighed significantly less per tire and are specifically designed for motorhome service,
-good dealer and service,
-had good performance from original tires. I did have sidewall cracking, but that was partly due to improper storage on original owner's and my part. Never had a failure due to cracking and replaced tires due to age.
If I had found a set of tires that was $400-600 less than these Michelins that I trusted (not an unknown Chinese brand), I would have bought them, but I never found that deal.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I recently re-tired with, wait for It, Double Coin tires.
Good luck with those. The OP says he needs 235/80 or 245/75 tires. I didn't see any smaller sizes on the Double Coin web site. I've had my experience with Chinese trailer tires. As one RVer said, "good for display purposes only." Hope our Oriental friends make better truck tires.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #9

Hi, I replaced the Goodyear tires on my 2001 Dynasty 36' they were the originals with about 55k miles. These were replaced due to age and rivering. The Dealer did say after they were removed that inspection showed them to be OK.
I bought Bridgestone model R280 295/75 22.5 H, after a lot of research. They were $505 each out the door. I did not get them balanced (which was included) I used Dynabeads which I supplied. I am very pleased with the ride and handling.
BTW I tow a 2012 JKU as well.
Robert
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
Good luck with those. The OP says he needs 235/80 or 245/75 tires. I didn't see any smaller sizes on the Double Coin web site. I've had my experience with Chinese trailer tires. As one RVer said, "good for display purposes only." Hope our Oriental friends make better truck tires.
Not only that but there are no dealers in Texas, which is where I live.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

We've the same Goodyear G670RV's (save one) the coach was delivered with. We've had cuts and punctures, but none were the fault of the Goodyears. We're happy with them and after 30K miles, they still give a good ride. We are also looking to replace ours soon just due to age. The tread would probably go another 30K.

We were fairly sure we'd stick with Goodyear, but a few weeks ago, we were parked next to a fellow with Sumitomo (sic?) tires. I asked him what he thought of them. He said, most emphatically, that he'd only buy them. Turns out he was a retired trucker and had used the brand for years. Good quality and good price.

We're going to look in to them. There are lots of variable involved, like finding spares a long way from home. If they bomb out, we'll get more Goodyears.

Steve
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we needed new tires I wanted/needed to upsize the fronts to use the full capacity of the new axle. There were only two manufacturers that made the 305/70's that would fit the wheelwell. One was Michelin and the other was Continental. But, even though the tire was listed in the Continental catalog it was not available.
Went with two 305/70's on the front and four 275/70's on the rear, all Michelins. the riga came with Michelin 275/70's all around and the did very well for 8½ years. Showed some minor cracking/checking around the lettering.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires