Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Ozone Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

If you buy one you'll be tempted to use it all the time and end up with asthma, lung damage, aged rubber and dead house plants. Do a bit of investigation about the limited upside and big downside of such an investment.

In my comments I was clear that it is NOT to be used while people/pets/plants are in the coach. It is a tool, and like all tools needs to be used properly. So I agree with you it's good to make sure people are educated about its use....however no one should be scared of using it. Used properly it's extremely effective.

Propane gas is much more dangerous in my opinion, and again, used properly can be used safely.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
"users have sometimes been advised to lower the ozone setting if they can smell the ozone. Unfortunately, the ability to detect ozone by smell varies considerably from person to person, and one’s ability to smell ozone rapidly deteriorates in the presence of ozone." --- U.S. E.P.A. report.

I don't work for P&G, but have known many execs who do. I guess you didn't read palehorse89 suggested links, or do a search about ozone generators. Ozone is a molecule of 3 atoms of oxygen instead of the normal 2 atoms. It is more unstable than O2 and can be quite corrosive. Rubber, plastic wire insulation, house plants, human lungs are all damaged by ozone. (That's why the alerts to cancel or reduce outside recreation when ozone levels are high) The hype about how they can 'purify' the air or make all odors go away is mostly claims by the makers and sellers of such devices.
Yes, I agreed that they can help in a heavily smoked in room or after a fire, ozone does react with some chemicals in second hand smoke, but burning something in an oven shouldn't create such long time issues that a few open windows won't cure. Spending $$$ on a device you only need to use once in a while seems a bit excessive to me. As I suggested, if you really need one, rent it. Ozone is identified as a corrosive, TOXIC gas. Why would I buy a generator to add that to my living area?

If you buy one you'll be tempted to use it all the time and end up with asthma, lung damage, aged rubber and dead house plants. Do a bit of investigation about the limited upside and big downside of such an investment.
I didn't post this to be schooled on ozone generators. I posted because as a "Product Evaluation" I thought it was a good deal.

[ moderator edit ]
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #17

Anyhow, getting back on reviewing this little generator. We are out camping and when I opened the cabinet above the oven/stove/microwave I got some smoke smell right off the bat. I forgot to open that particular door while running the generator. It appears the trick is to open everything that's contaminated. Very impressed with it.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Talking Something to learn each day of our lives.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
No, not really. I have an allergic reaction to people that take things to an extreme when not necessary.

A simple threat about a good product turned into a lengthy discussion about dangerous health issues +.

Uncalled for, that's all.
I have to ask.......why wouldn't you want to learn from other's about the "bad" side affects of these machines and the harm they can do? I have over a $1,000.00 in these machines(A lot more than you I suspect) and after another person bring the subject up to me and taking the advice to study up on them.......now mine are in a box......in the garage. They do work.........very well.......but at your expense........and everything around them. And....."Take things to a extreme when not necessary? The EPA found it serious enough to spend a ton of money to do a study on this subject.......and you helped pay for the study
To each their own........Stay healthy my friend
Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I have to ask.......why wouldn't you want to learn from other's about the "bad" side affects of these machines and the harm they can do? I have over a $1,000.00 in these machines(A lot more than you I suspect) and after another person bring the subject up to me and taking the advice to study up on them.......now mine are in a box......in the garage. They do work.........very well.......but at your expense........and everything around them. And....."Take things to a extreme when not necessary? The EPA found it serious enough to spend a ton of money to do a study on this subject.......and you helped pay for the study
To each their own........Stay healthy my friend
I never said that I didn't want to learn from others. I personally did my research before getting one.

I started this thread to let others know what a great deal my little generator was. I expected to hear, "good buy", or "here is a better one for less", etc. Instead it turned into a crash course into ozone hazards.

I have come to the conclusion that there is always a vulture in these forums waiting for someone to make the wrong move so that they can move in for the kill. I hope I haven't been on or never become one.

Cheers, AL
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Sorry......last post here........

Quote:
I never said that I didn't want to learn from others. I personally did my research before getting one.

I started this thread to let others know what a great deal my little generator was. I expected to hear, "good buy", or "here is a better one for less", etc. Instead it turned into a crash course into ozone hazards.

I have come to the conclusion that there is always a vulture in these forums waiting for someone to make the wrong move so that they can move in for the kill. I hope I haven't been on or never become one.

Cheers, AL
Al, you have a "Great Outlook" on things And after your "research" you found them Ok.........And I am sure you did get a good buy........I have 2 whole house XL-15's for sale by "Living Air" for sale, if you are interested....CHEAP I think you have taken this "personally", and was not meant to be a "Vulture" attack on you, but you took it that way
Our post's were meant to be informative.......for you and others that are reading this thread..........I am sure glad someone told me about them years ago, just wish it had been before I spent so much money on them
Sorry if I made you mad, upset, That was not my intent here.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #21
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Firstly, let's all calm down. I don't think anyone is accusatory about what a person should post or is trolling when they add a comment in a thread.

I don't think al2ride was suggesting buying an AK47 and suggesting it be given to minors.

al2ride was merely posting about a product that he used that worked to correct a smoke issue.

However, being in the restoration industry and knowledgeable in the use of ozone, I do have to agree that caution should be used. There are definitely side effects from its use.

I firmly believe that as a forum we all want to offer advise on what works for us in the various situations. Thanks al2ride for advising those here who may need to combat a smoke issue.

One of the other admirable things about this forum is people also help by making people aware of the outcome of using some of the recommended procedures here. I don't think we should find fault in that. However, sometimes the written word is taken the wrong way as I'm sure everyone can agree.

I will say, that depending on the origin of the smoke, simply opening a window and airing out will not always work. In severe cases where something protein such as a meat or any variety of grain based product has caught fire in a microwave or on the stove, the smoke carries an oily residue that will hold the odor. Simple airing will never get rid of this fast enough if at all.
All hard surfaces need to be cleaned with a degreaser. All soft surfaces need to be washed or drycleaned. Porous materials will likely never relinquish the odor without the aid of some type of air deodorizing and in some cases, things such as micro-waves and hood-fans must be replaced due to the intricacy of motors, cabinet assembly, etc.

Ozone works in many cases because it's microns are as small as the smoke molecules that penetrate everything and it can follow the same paths.

Ozone molecules surround the smoke molecules and traps the odor rendering the smoke molecule useless. It all happens chemically.

Does Ozone Generation work? Yes
Does Ozone have side effects? Yes
Should a person use caution and educate themselves before using an Ozone Generator? Yes

Some good advise is:

- Firstly, get rid of the source

- If you use an Ozone Generator, make sure there is no water sitting out or that nothing is wet. Ozone and H2O produces Hydrogen Peroxide.

- Use a fan to help move the ozone around the coach as it will expedite deodorizing by getting the ozone into all areas and help push it to hard to get at areas.

- Open all interior doors, drawers, cabinets, etc. prior to running and separate items for good penetration.

- Set up the ozone close to the entry or have the cord plugged in where you can unplug the ozone or shut it off without entering the coach.

- Do not run the ozone for more than a few hours at a time. Once you have done an application, shut off the machine, prop the door open and let the RV air out for a bit. Then start to open windows to further allow the Ozone to dissipate. Leave the fan running to help with the airing out process.

It will likely take a day or so for you to see if you require more ozone deodorizing.

Be aware that should you decide to use the RV before complete airing out has occurred, that the Ozone does have a strong residual smell/affect and may irritate respiratory systems in people and pets.

I found an article that describes some of the hazards that you may find informative.

Ozone Generator Hazards - InterNACHI

Just an FYI, again, my intent here was not to hijack this thread or to "troll" but to add some helpful info to a good procedure and hopefully keep our members safe with its use.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
There you go Bob, you get the last say
Seems like that wasn't the case, you did add more words.

Quote:

Cheers, AL
"...did my research before getting one." But you stated: " I started this thread to let others know what a great deal my little generator was." So you decided not to tell of the harmful effects of the ozone? The research that suggests ozone generators are limited to how effective they are on clearing other odors? Potential to degrade rubber and plastic, which RVs use to a greater degree than a regular home in a much smaller space?

[ moderator edit ]

At least with the latter name, you admitted, "waiting for someone to make the wrong move... So you do admit you were wrong in not making your "product review" complete.

You never acknowledged palehorse89's two links to research, only kept attacking and belittling me for suggesting alternatives. Until palehorse89 pointed out links to the dangerous health and limited effectiveness of ozone generators, NO ONE, despite claims to the contrary, suggested any precautions or potential damage when using an ozone generator.

I tried to use a simpler but effect alternative and even a bit of humor that was attacked and ridiculed. By the way, the link to the more expensive ozone generator in post #3 is a classic study in what the EPA was talking about. Misinformation, half-truths, false claims of effectiveness, and no cautions to the potential health hazards.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks dogpatch, wise words and advice. In the first post, the link to the generator sold by Amazon, and the one referred to in a subsequent post, neither ad mentioned any of the precautions you (and I) suggest. In the Amazon ad it says it's "whisper quiet and won't disturb you or those around you" and is illustrated with a sleeping infant! I've already pointed out the second link to a very expensive unit doesn't mention any of the EPA's issues at all.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
Community Administrator

A few posts have been edited or deleted. Personal comments are not allowed here. Discuss the topic and not each other.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Seems as so this subject has drawn to a end....... education and learning from daily living and others.....is a mans best friend...........To each their own, and what works for me , just not work for others.........Safe travels and stay safe!

Tags
generator