Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #15

I have a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton QDH

FW 90 gal
BW 45 gal
GW 70 gal
LPG 35 gal
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #16

[QUOTE I gotta ask how big your black tank is......mine is 45 gallons and we can go maybe 4 days.[/QUOTE]

How many people? Does your bath lav drain into it too? 10 gallons of black a day sure seems a lot unless we're doing something wrong like not putting in enough water, although haven't had any dump issues. I usually have to dump our 32 gallon tank at 4 or 5 days but not because it is full, I do it for weight and odor control, although with my new turbo roof vents the odor may be a thing of the past.
I am definitely not an expert and last year we only camped 21 days, just trying to learn. I really wish our lav drained into the black since our gray fills so fast.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Still waiting to hear what OP says…..

However, when we are conserving water, we follow the
“If it’s yellow, let it mellow, if it’s brown, flush it down…. LOL”
That makes no sense, just flush it without water. Yuc.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I carry a 27gal Thetford tote on the TT bumper. Only use it for gray water. It takes 2 weeks to fill up our 27gal black tank but only 4 days to fill up the 27 gal gray. Easy to pull it or tow it to dump station, except when there’s no dump station for miles. So, considering getting a macerator to pump gray into tote in truck bed. Anybody else doing that?
I can pump it into my tote, while up in the truck bed, but dumping is is a concern.

I would need to use a hose and start a siphon. It doesn't have a bottom drain.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I carry a 27gal Thetford tote on the TT bumper. Only use it for gray water. It takes 2 weeks to fill up our 27gal black tank but only 4 days to fill up the 27 gal gray. Easy to pull it or tow it to dump station, except when there’s no dump station for miles. So, considering getting a macerator to pump gray into tote in truck bed. Anybody else doing that?
I am pumping into a 60 gallon tank on the side of my truck. It is a bottom drain (actually bottom fill also) using a 1.5" hose. This works very well for me, even though I have only used it one time outside of practice proof of concept.

If your portable tank has a bottom drain it should be no harder than hooking up your trailer to a dump station and draining, or no different than how you drain now.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That makes no sense, just flush it without water. Yuc.

Mascerator toilet always uses water.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #21

I use a Thetford 35 gal. tote when we go to the Watkins Glen NASCAR race each year. My site requires I back in as far as I can then drive up onto my 4 1/2" high ramps on the passenger's side to make leveling possible. Once we're parked in our site there are other campers close to us so getting in and out isn't really easy.
I drain my black and grey tanks every morning after we have taken our showers. My wife generally uses our coach's toilet, while for the stand up jobs, I walk about 100 yards to a line of Porta-Potties.
It's a little more than 1000' from my site to the dumping station. The road to the dumping station is hard packed gravel and is downhill most of the way. Pulling the tote is easy going. The empty tank is no problem to pull back to my site.
Before I bought my tote I had to have my tanks pumped out at least twice during our stay which is from Wednesday morning to the following Monday morning. The charge for this was $45 each time they pumped the tanks out. I believe it's more costly now. It didn't take long before I was ahead of the game money wise by buying my own tank. Not having to wait around so I could flag down a sanitation truck is also a side benefit as well. I can't knock their service though. They were always good at what they did considering I gave them crap every time they showed up. LOL They always got a tip when they were done.
I bought my tank in 2014 and have never looked back.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #22

[QUOTE I gotta ask how big your black tank is......mine is 45 gallons and we can go maybe 4 days.[/QUOTE]

Poop mountain?
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #23

It seems more of a trailer thing and I can see that. My class A isn't so much trouble to move. One time I did use a five gallon bucket but only because we were directly across from the dump station AND someone does like her baths. Most of the time we are at full hookup places. I looked at tanks but saw none I could stow and don't really care to run around with one strapped to the back. I basically prefer to have nothing back there but bikes on their carrier.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #24

We go 2 weeks without dumping gray and longer for black. By that time I'm ready to move on.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:26 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SIL family of 7, tanks full after 1-1/2-days, found it MUCH easier w/ his Bumper Hitch trailer and (60-minute+ setup/ break-down time) to dump to portable and slowly pull it w/ hitch ball to dump station. Our Class-C (w/ just wife and me), I unplug/ disconnect hose and drive down. 5-10-minutes for me to get ready?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #26

Here's how to do it in style...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210607_103004.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	349712  
mikeyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
Here's how to do it in style...
Do you have any trouble pulling the tank uphills?
Old 11-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #28

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Do you have any trouble pulling the tank uphills?
Only have a downhill problem on the I-5 grapevine. Mine didn’t come equipped with brakes.

Tags
black tank, cat, tank