RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #1

Portable Ladder

Is anyone carrying a portable ladder? What type and brand? Looking for something to be able to get up on the roof so it needs to be about 15í

Thanks

jrcorvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #2

Myifan Telescopic Ladder Multi-Purpose Aluminium Telescoping Ladder Extension Extend Portable Ladder Foldable Ladder EN131Standards (16Ft / 4.9M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9RKBDD..._OmbrEbGVZAC9S

dirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry this one.

Telesteps 1800EP OSHA Compliant 18 ft Professional Extension Ladder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KGBIKC..._cpjJlbGxPVMkN
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #4

I have the Little Giant knock off sold by Harbor Frieght. I like having the A frame capability for washing the coach and doing general maintenance and then the ability to use the straight ladder to get on the roof.

The downside is it takes up some room and itís not as light as the telescoping ladders.

If memory serves me right, I paid just under $100.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I carry one of these.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GP-Logist...adder/25521241
Folded up, it fits nicely on the back bumper of the RV.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Since we have a Sprinter RV we need a ladder that is compact and safe. Some of the telescope types have gotten bad safety reviews. Pro a made in China ��
And prices are all over the place. The ladder will get very limited use and I only weigh 145 but I don’t want it to come crashing down on me.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

I'm noticing that you guys are recommending the 16' and 18' telescoping ladders. I figure our RV roofs are about 12' up. Can you get away with the 14' ones or does that make it difficult getting on and off the ladder from the roof? Those extra couple of feet are a lot more money!
sailchessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

i used to carry a Telesteps collapsing ladder. i rarely used it but when i did i always worried about it collapsing. the primary reason i stopped carrying it was because it weighed a ton.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailchessi View Post
I'm noticing that you guys are recommending the 16' and 18' telescoping ladders. I figure our RV roofs are about 12' up. Can you get away with the 14' ones or does that make it difficult getting on and off the ladder from the roof? Those extra couple of feet are a lot more money!

The ladder needs to lean against the RV at an angle, and it also should extend at least 3 feet above the roof to give you something safe to grab onto coming down. One fall off a ladder can end your RVing days forever....no time to get cheap here.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #10

All good points here. It has to be taller than your roof top by several feet and it has to be safe from collapsing or even falling. The more I think about it I probably will not carry a ladder. I guess if I need to get on the roof while traveling I will have to find some that I can borrow from. We have limited space and weight capacity. Telescope ladders look interesting but also scary.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorvette View Post
All good points here. It has to be taller than your roof top by several feet and it has to be safe from collapsing or even falling. The more I think about it I probably will not carry a ladder. I guess if I need to get on the roof while traveling I will have to find some that I can borrow from. We have limited space and weight capacity. Telescope ladders look interesting but also scary.

Certainly not an item to cheap out on.

There seems to be some cheaper telescope ladders out there. I went with one of the higher end models rated to 300 pounds and 15 feet.

No issues getting up onto my 12 foot rig. Stores nicely in the storage compartment under the bed.

I will say that I only use it a few times a year (mainly for cleaning the roof) but would not want to HOPE I can borrow one in the event of a slide, awning or leak issue.
dirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailchessi View Post
For safety, your ladder should extend at least 2' above the roof. 3' is ideal.