Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Quiet RV generator?

I'm familiar with the Honda 3500...nice and quiet....not mine though. I Don't think I need one that big.

I have an OutdoorsRB22 Creekside ....22ft. We're new RVers. I want to buy a generator but don't need a 3000 I'm thinking.

I will be running a small TV, maybe the microwave...very seldom if at all and sometimes a furnace for a few minutes. I'll have some lights on...but they're all led low power draw. I won't be Boondock camping or running power tools.

I want the very quietest generator possible.a Wen ...or Honda?
I've been looking online but I thought I'd look here and ask your advice......ask the experienced RVers

I'm open for suggestions.

Thank you,

Gary
West Kelowna
B.C.
Canada
gary1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

A Honda 2000 is really quiet and reliable and would do what you are asking of it. It is also light and easy to handle.
Armymags1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quiet RV generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1949 View Post
.....I won't be Boondock camping or running power tools.

You say you won’t be boondocking.....but isn’t that the only reason for a generator? If hooked to shore power you don’t need a generator.

Definitely the Honda EU 2200i if buying new....if you find a used EU 2000 it’s a little less power, bit still would meet your needs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8675.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	262300
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #4

Don't be fooled that a "quiet" generator is quiet, compared to open frame generator sure it's quieter but I would not call it quiet.

We've been boondocking for a stretch now living off solar/ batteries and with days getting shorter and rain on top of that we had to pull the EU2000I generator out for a hold over charge, last time used was 5/9.
Sometimes a necessary evil, the drone of the "quiet" generator. Sure glad it's not an everyday event.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

The Predator 3500 inverter generator sold by Harbor Freight has gotten surprisingly high ratings and is identical to the Power Horse sold at Northern Tool, except for case color and markings. Electric start and holds 3 gallons of gas. You tube has a video of these 2 and about 4 more sold under other brands and depending where you get it and coupons, they are very well priced. I have 1 (Power Horse from NT) and a friend has the Predator, and you can actually stand next to them and have a conversation in a regular voice - without having to yell. They WILL run for 10 hours on 3 gallons of gas! We ran my AC and his last Bike week at Daytona on it. Only tripped once when both ACs cycled on close together.
I'm about to get a new Toy hauler that is 50a and a Onan for it is $6000. I'm going to spend 10% of that, and get a second one and the parallel kit to give me 7000 watts of power. On days when I don't need lots of power, I can cut back to 1 generator.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

I bought two Yamaha 2000IS generators about 6 months ago with the intention of running both for the A/C unit when needed.They have been sitting all this time and not even tried them yet.

Yesterday I finally put oil and gas in one and it started on the second pull.
I was surprised how quiet it was.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You can search by long boring posts on gennys.

I am part of an offroad series that has 5 to 7 generators for equip and rv at my disposal.

1000, 2000,2200,3000,3500 and RV onans..

I also camp at events and a few vacas,,

I have the house onan 4000, it runs everthing with ease, AC,fridge,micro tv all at some time, Eats fuel.. 48 hours of running straight with AC on,, ouch $$$ approx 15-18 gallons , I have carb tuned, muffled and insulated,, Still 56-59db at 10 feet at 30ft it is 46-50db..

Honda 3000 or Predator3500 or my greenpower3500 all sing at WOT running the same load except microwave, ac must be off, db at exhaust side at 20 feet is 52-56.. on opposite side is 44-46db..

Onan has more noise that is Air not exhaust,,

So I keep a Ryobi or Champiom 2000 with me , as it is not much louder than my 1000 honda.. maybe 1 or 2 db is that,, Champion cube is Quiter that honda2000 imo,

I use these during the day to run stuff, charge batteries, etc, if a quiet zone, I can run batteries and inverter from 10pm til 7 or 8 am easily during moderate temp camping.. RV heater or Referidge draws down my 2 group 31 deep cycles in 7-8 hours avg.. I like my TV/movies from 8 to midnite also..
I have RV to enjoy...

SO after all my BS,,

pick what you need for useage,, But a quiet 2000or2200 would be a top choice to splt the atom..

A FYI my other RV had a Power saver 10K AC, my Champion 2000 would run that all day, it ran hard,,, needed fuel 5 hours but ran and would even cycle on eco... AC had a soft start also, I got buy for years on 2000. turn off ac run micro or kuerig and back to av, it was not bad..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm familiar with the Honda 3500...nice and quiet....not mine though. I Don't think I need one that big.

I have an OutdoorsRB22 Creekside ....22ft. We're new RVers. I want to buy a generator but don't need a 3000 I'm thinking.

I will be running a small TV, maybe the microwave...very seldom if at all and sometimes a furnace for a few minutes. I'll have some lights on...but they're all led low power draw. I won't be Boondock camping or running power tools.

I want the very quietest generator possible.a Wen ...or Honda?
I've been looking online but I thought I'd look here and ask your advice......ask the experienced RVers

Thank you,

Gary
West Kelowna
B.C.
Canada
Well.
Late to the party.
But, Gary, if you're still choosing - as I haven't seen any updates from you - then go with Honda. Not cheap, yes, but they are really quiet: here's a great comparison with Predator.

We use Honda EU2200i (specs are mentioned on this list + you can have a look at other options such as Westinghouse and Generac). Like, it's "gold standard" so for us it was the best choice available. We run our AC + tv and charge phones without any problems. Though if you're going to use the microwave at the same time, then I'd buy two units and use them in parallel. That's what we did in our previous setup.
Back to the sound level, our Honda is quiet. Like, really - sometimes I even forget that generator is running (I hope it's not the age that is getting me ).

But as an alternative - a friend of mine is pretty happy with his 1000 watt Champion (can't recall the model, but he bought it for around $150.00 - I can ask him if you wish) and from his words it only puts out 58 db for noise. His wife is pretty sensitive to loud sounds though her feedback was also great. Can't say anything about performance, but probably there are a lot of people who use Champion's and can share their experience with you.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #9

Quote:
I want the very quietest generator possible.

Thank you,

Gary
West Kelowna
B.C.
Canada
Have you tried not standing next to the generator when it is not running?

Making small amounts of electricity with an internal combustion is not rocket science.

Finding the right status symbol is a little harder.

I have a 800 watt HF for less $100 that I have been using for 5 years. It will handle charging the batteries, running a TV, and the fridge at the same time. Also use it to run power tools.

Also have a 6500 watt Onan in the MH that runs everything.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use the Firman 3200W genni, and I like it. Its reasonably quiet, powers the AC and recharges the batteries as requested. You can find them on sale now at costco for about 500.00.

I use it on my Outdoors RV, I am putting in 200W of Solar this winter so my generator usage will be greatly reduced (fingers crossed) this next season.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

I have owned a Honda EU1000 for nearly 15 years, it is a great little generator, though the operative word is little, it weighs under 30 pounds, the downside is it only outputs about 950 watts, which is too little to run a lot of things, including most microwave ovens. Don't get me wrong it is a great source of a little bit of electricity, having said that I often find I wish it were the 2000 (or now the new 2200) watt model.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #12

Honda is always quieter and easier to start. Chain it down so it does not walk away. Honda shops sell metal handle locks.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 AM   #13

No matter what generator you buy it will alway make a racket...

I have never camped next to someone and said “Golly his generator is quiet!...”

You are looking for a light duty one so I would recommend a small and simple dual fuel model... This can be run off you propane tank (No need for a smelly gas can taking up space and need to remember to fill and not spoil)...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B5WFF9J...v_ov_lig_dp_it
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:28 AM   #14

Honda hands down. We drag race and had EU 3000 and EU 4000. Also have used smaller ones. The extra money spent is worth out. The frustrating thing is when you spend the money for a quiet generator and someone pulls in with a cheap box store brand and it is so loud. Then they put it on your side because they don't want to hear the noise..
DGEndeaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, quiet