Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We use the Ready Brute and have had it 2 years. It's a great solution. We have a Roadmaster tow bracket on a 2010 Jeep Liberty. When you remove the twist-in connectors it's not visable without crawling down to peer under the bumper. The aircraft line loop protrudes form the bumper though. I get a lot of chuckles watching folks stare at it and try to figure it out. I tell them it's how we tow the car - they walk away looking worried I'll meet them on the road towing the Jeep.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #16

LOL. I can imagine the look on their face. I wonder if the aircraft cable loop can be hidden somehow. Thanks for the insight on Blue Ox. I printed out instructions for the install on several different tow brackets and the B O looks like it is the most hidden.

Time to go shopping!
iflyga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyga View Post
LOL. I can imagine the look on their face. I wonder if the aircraft cable loop can be hidden somehow. Thanks for the insight on Blue Ox. I printed out instructions for the install on several different tow brackets and the B O looks like it is the most hidden.

Time to go shopping!
We have the Blue Ox baseplate and it's a clean install. Will you be DIYing your setup? If so, check towbarsunlimited.com for great package deals. CLICKETY!

Then, pick up the Cooltech wiring harness for the toad lights. Yes, it is plug and play. You'll have to route the wire from the driver's side rear tail light along the frame. Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit

Here's our Jeep with the stuff installed... Note the aircraft cable.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #18

Ok I got everything I need parts wise. Now to build up courage to tackle it myself. How did you route the cable through the engine compartment? Any recommended travel route?

I still may hire it out if I can find someone to do it. But if it is easy maybe I will try.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not easy to install!
07 Jeep Commander with Roadmaster Sterling towbar on a DP.
The cable end has to come out of the toad high enough to clear the locking clasp of the towbar. The only way to do this is to have it exit through the grille, not desirable.
As far as shimmying on the gravel the length of a 40" MH to string the dash light cable it was one of the worst experiences I've had in recent time and I would never do it again.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix
Not easy to install!
07 Jeep Commander with Roadmaster Sterling towbar on a DP.
The cable end has to come out of the toad high enough to clear the locking clasp of the towbar. The only way to do this is to have it exit through the grille, not desirable.
As far as shimmying on the gravel the length of a 40" MH to string the dash light cable it was one of the worst experiences I've had in recent time and I would never do it again.
I had it done. Cost me some $ ,but still saved a bunch over other options. I love the Readybrake because of its simplicity and it works real well. By the way, I thought about installing it myself but decided against it as I studied the directions which didn't seem that simple.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never understand in today's techno world why Ready Brake doesn't have a wireless dash light as standard or optional equipment. I'll bet $$$$ that the people in charge at RB have never actually installed their PITA cable system!
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine was really easy to install, About an hour on the Explorer and another hour to wire and install the light on the dash.

Had a box type brake and the wireless receiver on the dash was problematical at best. If that was added to the Ready-Brake it would just run the cost up more.

Love mine because it's simple and easy to use.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In reading the forums for several years I have heard of ONE, just ONE person who had a problem with the ready brake... The newest system on the market is the Invisible Brake (Less than a year) and already I have read of someone who had a problem with that one. EVERY Other system I have heard about I have read complaints.

That puts the ready brake at the very top of my list of GOOD systems.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyga
I still may hire it out if I can find someone to do it. But if it is easy maybe I will try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1899303144.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	24351

Ok. So I had someone run brake cable and install the blue ox car bracket. They also connected up the Jeep lights.

In the end I didn't do much myself, but rewire the camper lights and get the brake cable adjusted. I feel good about the whole thing. Still paid one half of what some people pay for a complete tow setup and arguably better too.

I drove the first 40 miles today and it went just fine. I don't know what I don't know though. We will drive 3,000 miles in the next 10 days so hopefully it is all set up. The experience will be good for me

The biggest question I have is:

How do I know for sure the jeep brakes aren't on going down the highway?

I don't want to know if the actuator on the hitch is activated. It's nice but not necessary. What IS necessary IMO, is to know if the jeep brakes are applied and I'm working against them with my camper. Or potentially worse, I don't want to have the jeep brakes applied constantly, or the brake lights on the Jeep flickering on and off because the brake pedal is somewhat engaged. Any thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's help.

RK
Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some people have wired up 12V LED lights from the toads brake light switch and placed the lamp on the dash so it's visible when using your back up camera.

It won't tell you how much brake is being applied, but will tell you if the brakes are being activated while towing.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have an infrared thermometer, one of those inexpensive handheld ones? ~$30 at Home Depot. Worth every penny.
Drive your rig a while and take temp readings on the wheel hubs of the toad immediately after stopping. Should not be any appreciable build up in temperature. (maybe a little from stopping right before checking)
Just a thought.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #27

Thanks wannabe and Baraff. I will investigate both options. I touched the wheel hubs as soon as I parked and they didn't seem overly hot. No hot brake smell either. Today is a 360 mile day so I will get a better sense of things.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Some people have wired up 12V LED lights from the toads brake light switch and placed the lamp on the dash so it's visible when using your back up camera.

It won't tell you how much brake is being applied, but will tell you if the brakes are being activated while towing.
I had mine installed. I bought an additional dashboard light from ReadyBrake and had it hooked up to my toad brake (suggested by another iRV2er), this way you know when the hitch activates and the toad brake. It is very useful when adjusting the ReadyBrake and you will know if the toad brake is on or off.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake