Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #1

Reverse polarity

Last year I hard wired a 50 amp Huges Watch Dog surge protector. It has worked flawlessly and assures good power when we plug into a foreign source.

I have just encountered a difficult situation a park we frequent. They only offer 20 amp service which has never been a problem for us. I have just used a reducer to a normal bricks and sticks 110 receptacle. This time the Watch Dog said no go giving a reverse polarity fault. What to do? We have used this power in the past without a problem but now can't get the surge protector to deliver. If the Huges wasn't hard wired I'll just eliminate it and plug in. Would it be playing with fire to wire an extension cord backward to trick the Dog?
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #2

Did your VOLTMETER show reverse polarity?

Are you in Mexico? With many receptacles not having a ground, it is not uncommon to find reverse polarity.

Also, confirm presence/ absence of ground (hot to ground= 120 VAC)

If this is an outlet that looks like a standard 15 amp outlet, the long straight is neutral, the short one hot and the round is ground.

And, you would not be the first to wire a "reverse" extension. But, if no ground, you need to address that as well-- perhaps running wire from your "reverse extension) to in-ground metal pipe.

You can also check other outlets in the CG for correct polarity. Kind of a hit and miss in some CG's in Mexico.

If NOT in Mexico, have the outlet wired properly. Same in Mexico if possible.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A receptical tester canbe used to verify the campground receptical is the problem.

Have the campground correct the receptical.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Reverse polarity on an AC circuit means someone mis-wired the receptacle. They put the hot lead on the common terminal and the common lead on the hot terminal -a BAD SITUATION!

Try another site of have the campground operator correct this bad wiring.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Did your VOLTMETER show reverse polarity?

Are you in Mexico? With many receptacles not having a ground, it is not uncommon to find reverse polarity.

Also, confirm presence/ absence of ground (hot to ground= 120 VAC)

If this is an outlet that looks like a standard 15 amp outlet, the long straight is neutral, the short one hot and the round is ground.

And, you would not be the first to wire a "reverse" extension. But, if no ground, you need to address that as well-- perhaps running wire from your "reverse extension) to in-ground metal pipe.

You can also check other outlets in the CG for correct polarity. Kind of a hit and miss in some CG's in Mexico.

If NOT in Mexico, have the outlet wired properly. Same in Mexico if possible.
Brett,

Thanks for this information.

Yes, in Mexico.

No, I didn't get out my meter.

Now I'm feeling like a fool. There is nothing here I didn't already know. It was late, I was tired, tried every receptacle in the park. Was very surprised and frustrated because I have visited that park several times.

My suspicion is there is no ground but will be prepared next time.

Thanks again.

Mark
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #6

An EMS will often see a missing ground as reverse polarity.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:48 PM   #7

I'm not familiar with the Hughes Watch Dog, but my Progressive Industries hardwired EMS has a bypass switch on the remote display. I'd be surprised if the Watch Dog does not have one too.
In any event, I would not connect to the power until I knew for certain it was safe. That's the whole point of having an EMS in the first place, isn't it?
Old 04-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
But, if no ground, you need to address that as well-- perhaps running wire from your "reverse extension) to in-ground metal pipe.

There is no way to address a missing equipment ground other than running a grounding conductor back to the main source and bonding it to the neutral. Connecting a wire to a pipe or even a ground rod will not clear a fault at household voltage levels and will only result in a dangerous energized pipe or ground rod if a fault occurs.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
There is no way to address a missing equipment ground other than running a grounding conductor back to the main source and bonding it to the neutral. Connecting a wire to a pipe or even a ground rod will not clear a fault at household voltage levels and will only result in a dangerous energized pipe or ground rod if a fault occurs.

We are talking about the best "work around" for power in Mexico where you have only a hot and a neutral-- no ground wire. I agree grounding to a metal pipe is not to code, but is better than being totally ungrounded.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
We are talking about the best "work around" for power in Mexico where you have only a hot and a neutral-- no ground wire. I agree grounding to a metal pipe is not to code, but is better than being totally ungrounded.
What I am trying to say is attaching to a water pipe is not better then being totally ungrounded, it's worse, you've introduced an additional hazard. It will do absolutely nothing for safety if there is a fault and no connection to the service neutral but it will create more energized metal for someone to come into contact with. If the metal pipe is part of the campground water system, is metal throughout and is not bonded to the service neutral you now have energized everyone's spigot in the campground and possibly the showers as well. If it is plastic underground you have still energized your own spigot as there is no way it is bonded. Very dangerous. It's the same reason we are not allowed to install grounding type receptacles on ungrounded circuits and why it has been illegal to use water pipes for grounding for decades, all it does is increase the chance of a fatality, nothing else.
The best solution for dealing with an ungrounded receptacle, if you must use it and cannot rewire it, is to use GFCI protection.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:50 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BEWARE, REVERSED with Open Ground/ No Ground can give a deadly HOT SKIN ELECTROCUTION RISK
Old 04-21-2022, 04:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
BEWARE, REVERSED with Open Ground/ No Ground can give a deadly HOT SKIN ELECTROCUTION RISK
Ground and neutral are not bonded in RV. No hot skin unless the RV has a short to ground.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote