Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

RhinoFlex dump hose experience - YUK!

I bought the Camco RhinoFlex 15' kit about two years ago and really liked the functionality of the way it snaps together for easy storage, but had reservations about the durability of snapping plastic. Well, yesterday was my Robin Williams moment. Sure it's just a silly comedy and that will never happen to me, right? Wrong. I pulled the black handle to discover that more than a dozen large holes had appeared since using the hose last week, producing many picturesque brown fountains.

Getting past the mega star rating on Amazon and reading the one-star reviews, I see that this is the product's usual failure mode.

It was a great high tech solution right up to that moment. You have been warned.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #2

I had a similar experience with the Rhinoflex we bought a couple of years ago and replaced it with a Valterra one. No further problems so far. Our Rhino was leaking around the connection though. One thing I always do after hooking up the sewer hose is to first open the gray tank valve for just a bit to test for leaks. Then I close it and dump the black? Then fully dump the gray. I'd rather find the leaks, if any, with fairly clean gray water instead of the nasty black stuff. LOL
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

RhinoFlex dump hose experience - YUK!

Excellent technique. That sounds like the voice of experience. Lesson learned.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

An additional step I take is look at the connection between the hose and the fittings. They tend to unwind some and have to be tightened up. I'm planning to replace all of mine as they are 3+ years old and I'm not super happy with them.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

I was concidering one. Thanks for the heads up!
Debaldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, that's a moment you look around to see if anyone saw it.
their quality must have declined, ours is going on 8 years old. I got a Valterra with this coach, I gave it away at a campground, hated that hose..
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
"............. One thing I always do after hooking up the sewer hose is to first open the gray tank valve for just a bit to test for leaks.............."

Sure fire way to eliminate any surprises
Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guess what I have and it's also 2 years old. Thanks for the warning.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #9

Sorry to laugh, but that was funny.

We just update to the Valterra Viper. Haven't used yet, but they feel like they are extremely well made. Our last Valterra (cheaper version than these Vipers) lasted 12 years of weekend/summer use.

Vipers are 26 mil and still very flexible. They are a little on the pricey side though.

We'll see how well they do once the season starts. Hopefully, they live up to the strong reviews on Amazon.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #10

I bought a Rhinoflex after my Valterra setup broke after 9 years. The Rhinoflex hose came off the connector after a couple of uses. Was lucky that it came off pulling it out of the cabinet or would have had one of those moments. Bought another Valterra.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #11

I had a RhinoFlex that sprung pinholes near the end, so I cut the bad part off and reinstalled the fittings. It worked well. For a while...
Months later I dumped the black tank and flushed it, then when I dumped the grey tank the hose split big time. I held pressure on the wound until it was done, then walked the hose over to the dumpster.
No more RhinoFail for me.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

I bought the Rhinoflex a couple of years ago. We spent several months in south Arizona, and the hose didn't stand up to the weather there. It cracked in many of the accordion folds. Luckily I found the cracks before having a major leakage.

I kept the ends, and replaced the snappy hose with the Camco Heavy Duty hose. But, in the meantime, I had also purchased a Rhinoflex extension hose. Same hose, but no 90 degree elbow on the discharge end, just a regular bayonet connection. It was still in the cardboard box when I broke it out to use as a connection to my new blue sewer tote this past week. Well, the snappy hose leaks quite a bit where the ends are connected. I tightened them up, and made sure the collar was snugged up securely, but still have leakage. My plan is to get rid of the snappy hose, and replace with the regular Camco heavy duty replacement hose.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I buy the cheap Camco hoses from Walmart. I'm keeping a spare on hand. I've found the expensive ones do not last any longer than the cheapest. 20' like $7, and reuse connector ends.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
It's great that people get log life from the hoses. Someone said 9 years!

But these are basically expendables, like the rubber hoses on the back of your washing machine. Keep therm in use long enough and they will fail.

I think I'll just replace ours every couple of years, as preventive maintenance.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote