Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2001, 05:06 PM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I have become completely fed up with my rubber roof and the many stains and the filthy appearance. Since I uncovered my motorhome this spring I have scrubbed the roof 3 times with spic & span, a rubber roof cleaner from Camping World and a car cleaning soap. After each cleaning the roof was slightly brighter but I never was able to put a dent in the stains. While thumbing through motorhome magazine I came across a ad for Rubber Shield. I called the company and spoke with Clayton the president and he explained what Minnesota Roofing Inc. did and the process they went through to develop Rubber Shield. Minnesota Roofing began as a manufacturer of products for the mobile home industry. With there expertise in this field they began to work with RV's and found many RV owners which required roof repair do to water damage. Minnesota Roofing RV repair business increased to the point where they now exclusively repair RV roofs and manufacturer products for the repair and maintenance of RV roofs.

Clayton was kind enough to send a RV Shield kit for a evaluation. The kit includes RV Cleaner, Rubber Shield and a scotch bright pad. Before you can apply Rubber Shield the roof must first be thoroughly cleaned with RV Cleaner in a 2 to 1 water to cleaner ratio. Here is a photo of my roof prior to starting The instruction suggest scrubbing a small portion of your roof at a time trying not to let the cleaning mixture run down the side of the RV. Once you clean the whole roof you then go back over the roof with a soft brush and rescrub the roof rinsing it down with a hose. I tried this method and shortly gave up on keeping the mixer from running down the side and would clean and rinse a small section 3'x 3' and would then rinse the side. With this cleaner and all of the crud you will be cleaning off of your roof you will cause streaks on the sides. Once I completed the top I washed the sides and I had no streaks on the sides. I will state at this point I was amazed how clean and bright I was able to get my roof using the RV Cleaner. I was able to remove the majority of the stains and I know if I would have gone over the whole roof a second time it would have been perfectly clean. A suggestion at this point, if you can have 2 people cleaning it will make it much easier and faster. I know this sound like common sense, but remember you are cleaning by hand the entire roof. I found as I moved toward the back of the rig my cleaning was not as good. On my 30' RV it took me about 1 1/2 hours to clean the roof and additional time to clean the sides to insure there would be no streaks. I let the roof dry thoroughly and then applied the Rubber Shield with a sponge mop (you can also apply with a lint free cloth) This was definitely the easiest part of the job, though it was difficult to see where the product was applied. I then applied a second coat 45 minutes later. The roof looks great, and it now has a sheen to it.

Minnesota Roofing claims this procedure will protect for upto a year. I can truly say this is a great product, and I am very excited in the prospect of not seeing my roof until next spring. It has been 1 week now and with all of the seeds flying from my maple trees and a few rain storms there are no stains. Prior to protecting my roof these seeds where leaving a ton of little stains.

Minnesota Roofing is located at http://www.rvroofmn.com and the kit sells for $39.95

I am contacting Clayton at Minnestoa Roofing to explain in this forum how and why his product works so well.

2000 30' Coachmen Mirada, F-53 chasis, V10. 5,453 miles traveled in 2000

[This message was edited by warpath on May 16, 2001 at 10:12 PM.]

[This message was edited by warpath on May 16, 2001 at 10:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by warpath on May 16, 2001 at 10:21 PM.]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2001, 04:54 AM   #2

Have you had any rain in the last week or so? I just scrubbed my roof Sunday and it rained yesterday and now I have some new black streaks on the side of my camper. Have you observed a reduction or elimination of streaking at this point or do you think it is too early to tell yet?

Thanks,

Dale

1998 Wildwood 31BH, 99 F-350 XLT CC PSD 4x4
Old 05-22-2001, 04:00 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Bridgford

The first week after I applied the product we had a little rain, but a ton of maple seeds and various other tree crud. Sunday, Monday and today we have had a ton of rain. I was just out there this evening and checked the RV for a trip this weekend and there are no streaks at all. Normally I get some lite streaking during these conditions and so far so good. I also checked the roof and it is filled with all kinds of tree crud, but no stains. I figure I will spray off the roof when the weekend gets closer just to remove all of the maple seeds. I really am happy with the performance of this product to date. I will keep you posted as time goes on.

Old 05-26-2001, 03:59 AM   #4
Ned

Do you know what the rubber roof manufacturers have to say about using Rubber Shield on their rubber roofs? From your pics, I can see the label states that it doesn't have any petroleum or silicone which should make it okay. Dicor made my roof, I believe. I would like to know if they say it's okay to use this product. I just cleaned my roof with spic-n-span last week. It had only been 9 months since I did it last, but it really needed it. I may try Rubber Shield if the roof manufacturer says it is safe to use.
Old 05-29-2001, 05:40 AM   #5

I called Dicor last week about this product. They said that it was OK but that "you might as well throw your money into the sun" or something like that. They said that you should just clean your roof 3 to 4 times a year.

Every time I clean my roof, I get a fresh batch of black streaks. Hopefully, this product is not the waste of money that the person that I talked to at Dicor said it was. By the way, she said similar things about 303.

Dale

Old 05-29-2001, 06:44 AM   #6
Ned

I think I read you to say your black streaks are worse after you clean your roof. Seems mine does that. After it has been cleaned, the black streaks return more quickly for the next month or two, then they taper off until I clean the roof again.
Old 05-30-2001, 07:47 AM   #7

Ned,

Yes I do seem to get a surge of black streaks after the first rain following a roof cleaning. So, from that perspective, I am cautiously optimistic that the Rubber Shield protectant will save me some work.

Dale

Old 05-30-2001, 10:07 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, but I have had major issues at work.

Anyway when I spoke to Clayton with Rubber Shield he explained this occurance. When you clean the roof you are removing the oxidation which has occured with the rubber of the roof and the enviroment(air, sun, ect). With this oxidation layer now removed the process of oxidation is increased which is the cause of your black streaks. With Rubber Shield applied the protective coating blocks air from the rubber of the roof and stopping the oxidation process. This coating also prohibates stains from penitrating the rubber surface as well. I am going to get in contact with Clayton and have him get me more info on this.

Bill

Old 06-16-2001, 05:39 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Well it has been 1 month since my application of Rubber Shield. I climbed up on the roof yesterday and all still looks good. We have had a ton of ran and hot weather the last couple of weeks and I still have no black streaks. I do have some area where the water drains from the roof and dust and dirt has dried on the side, but this is not like a black streak and removed easily. I will say also the roof is not spotless (airbourne dit and crud), but it still is clean enough where I do not feel I have to go up there wash it. There is still a nice sheen to the rubber and I can say this product is a keeper. Its raining today, but I will try to get a updated photo soon.

Old 08-05-2001, 10:01 PM   #10

If you read the information provided at Dicor's web site they caution strongly against using any cleaners or treatment products that contains any petrolum or citris. I did read where they suggested Zep Heavy Duty Cleaner/Degreaser. I have just purchased a bottle to try. I had been using some Dawn and warm water with good results.
Other products have been known to penetrate the rubber and loosen the bonding agent This also breaks down the rubber itself leading to further problems.
If you find any other product(s), that work well and wil not lead to shortening the useful life on the rubber roof please pass it on to us!

Russ & Dottie
2000 Ford F350 V10 1999 Kountry Star 30RKCL
Old 08-08-2001, 12:18 PM   #11

I applied this product to the roof of my 1999 motorhome in February 2001.
I agree that it's better to not clean the surface (as directed)in a small area and then leave the residue on the roof to wash off later. It doesn't easily wash off after it's dry, you almost have to completely clean the roof again. Use the method suggested by the author, two people, one washing and one rinsing before anything dries..... especially the sides of the vehicle.

My bus has been parked in the open in Phoenix now for 6 months (how's that for a sun test?). It looks as good as it did the day I completed the job. I haven't seen a single black streak ( but that of course requires rain....just kidding)

I also sealed a test portion on top of my front cap which is fiberglass. It looks like I painted a clear coat finish up there. The rest of the cap is waxed with Mequires Boat Wax and it looks dull in comparison. The company says that the wax can be used on fiberglass so why not give it a try. We'll see what happens over time but I'm very optimistic.

By the way I ended up using very little out of the bottle of cleaner but all of the wax. Next time I'll just order a new bottle of wax.

Donn in Phoenix
Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 04:08 AM   #12

Any follow up on the roof treatment since august? Just wondering how it did this winter. I have a 36 foot fifwheel to do. Bill

94 dodge cummins 4x4,fifth avenue 36footer
Old 01-04-2002, 05:08 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The last half of the season, I did nothing with the roof. When I went up there just before I put it away the roof was filty. I washed it with just soap and water and it cleaned up easier than usual. What I did notice is I missed a number of areas when I applied the product and it really shows now. I also think I put to much down orginally and you can see the mop marks from application. I purchased a temporary building this fall so dirt from my surroundings wont be as big a problem. This spring I am going to clean and re-apply the product making sure to cover all areas. I definetly noticed far less black streaks all season and a standard soap and water washing of the sides of the RV is all it took to make it look clean and streak free.

2000 30' Coachmen Mirada, F-53 chasis, V10, Upgrades include: all pergo oak flooring, VELVAC bus mirrors, Eurotec® Captain's Chairs, glass shower door, 2 turbo maxxaire units, Ultra guard rear mud guard, 4" chrome exhaust turndown, full mudflaps with chrome anti-sail trim weights, Mor/Ryde front suspension, Davis Tru-Trac anti-sway bar, SmartVisor® sunshades.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:14 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
I've been meaning to post my results of applying this product to our fiver this past fall.

Our rig was produced in August of 1997. I've cleaned the roof twice a year with soap and water but would always get black (or grey) streaks with the next rairfall.

This product takes some time to apply but is unbelievable in it's results. The cleaner uses a green pad (provided by the company) and you scrub a small section (I did a 4' x 4' section) before moving to the next section.

After completing the roof this way, you wet the roof down and with a heavy bristled brush go over the roof a second time but this time using running water to wash the residue off. Some of this residue will run down your rigs sides and windows. A solution of their product with a long handled brush/washer will remove this from the sides and most from the windows.

Let the roof dry and its ready to apply the sealer. Apply the same way (in a 4' x 4' section) with a cloth until the roof if completed. Let dry and then apply a second time the same way. (see what you can do when you're retired )

The results are amazing! Where the roof was chalky and porous before, it has a sheen to it now. We have had much rain in Florida since this project was completed. There is not one place where any sign of chalky or dark runoff is appearing anywhere on the rig. The metal cove on the roof edges was the first place we saw this and they have remained unbelievably clean and bright.

Only wish I knew about this product when I first got the rig.

Dave
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote