Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #1

RV Security: Locked X Chocks as good as a boot? Also looking for other security tips.

I realize and unguarded trailer is probably going to get stolen no matter what if the criminals are determined enough. I'm just hoping to minimize that risk.
I've seen a few wheel boot/locking chock devices that I was considering. However I came across an interesting thread somewhere that mentioned some X chocks have the ability to put a lock through them. It seems logical enough that that could have much the same effect as a wheel locking device and have the advantage of being a bit harder toto cut off than a wheel clamp, also means carrying less stuff. Does that seem correct? Also any suggestions for brand of heavy duty/lockable x chock or ways to add a lock to one that's not specifically designed to lock?

Also I think the other security considerations were. Ball hitch lock, hitch lever lock, upgraded main door lock, upgraded cargo hatch locks, and tow chains lock. Anything else?

Also has anyone added any sort of alarm system to hatches and doors? If I'm in the boonies obviously I cant have a remotely managed alarm system but something that screeches/flashes when triggered would probably be helpful.
chaostactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 02:18 PM   #2

Could you cut the head off the bolt that extends or retracts the chock, and weld on a locking lug nut instead?

That would prevent someone from using an ordinary wrench to loosen it - and you could still use the key for the lug nut with a cordless impact wrench to quickly loosen or tighten it.

A couple other suggestions:

1. Hide an Apple AirTag someplace in your RV - Could make it easier to recover the RV after it's stolen.

2. Install a hidden kill switch for your trailer's electric hitch jack - It will prevent a thief from using the jack while attempting to steal the RV (or at least force him to use the manual crank instead).
Old 05-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #3

If I were a thief and was going to steal...or try to steal a trailer that had X chocks on the tires/wheels and it was locked, either use a bolt cutter to remove the lock, then an impact wrench to remove it, or simply throw a chain around the whole assembly, attach to the tow hook on the front of my Dually and yank it out from between the tires.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:04 AM   #4

If you move the trailer and forget to remove them they will fly out by themselves. I've done it. Some damage may occur
Old 05-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
or simply throw a chain around the whole assembly, attach to the tow hook on the front of my Dually and yank it out from between the tires.
Weld a backing plate on it, so that the plate is snug against the inner sidewalls of the tires when tightened.

(In case you haven't noticed - I like welding. )
Old 05-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
If you move the trailer and forget to remove them they will fly out by themselves. I've done it. Some damage may occur
YEP^^^^

X-Chocks will keep a parked trailer from rocking for/aft but if forgotten ---hookup/drive off they FLY out like a cannon shot

Most trailers are stolen from storage lots or driveways
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibane View Post
Weld a backing plate on it, so that the plate is snug against the inner sidewalls of the tires when tightened.

(In case you haven't noticed - I like welding. )
I worked at a Steel Mill for thirty years and went through an apprenticeship to become a Journeyman Electrician. Our company rammed a new contract down our throats to combine jobs and part of that agreement had us doing our own welding and burning. So from 1989 until I retired from there in 2003, I was a Journeyman Electrician that did his own welding....putting up unistrut, angle iron for installing electrical boxes, disconnects, and building motor bases once in a while. At first, I kind of hated it, but over time I enjoyed the change of pace from doing true electrical work. After I left there and went onto my next job....actually my next two jobs, I worked as strictly an Electrician.....and I kind of miss welding once in a while. I don't think I've picked up a welding stinger in almost 20 years.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #8

Enhanced/upgraded door and compartment locks will only have the effect of causing more damage to your doors and compartments. Thieves are not concerned about your repair costs. 1/2" chain through the wheels will slow them down by a few seconds compared to 1/4" chain. Keep your insurance up to date and do not store your unit with valuables in it. We have been rving since the nineties and have never lost anything that I actually remembered to put IN the trailer. Had things stolen from my yard but no one ever touched the rv. 40 states and almost 100,000 miles of travels and zero issues. I have found things in campsites but never lost anything in them. (Due to somebody else).
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #9

I've been pretty impressed with the tracking ability of the AirTag hidden in my RV.

Even in relatively remote areas, it's still managing to "ping" off someone wandering by with an iPhone. (I don't personally use any Apple devices, and it's not pinging my own Android phone.)

You can also buy fake AirTags, to use as decoys.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:07 PM   #10

Just was pondering the X-Chocks.... Deflate both tires, remove x-chocks, reinflate tires at least minimally (if they had to be deflated enough to be an issue), on your way ... No damage. Reinflate tires completely later to save time. Not noisy either, if a pressure tank is used instead of a pump. Might take more time than someone would want though.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:38 AM   #11

Not a boot/tire device but, seen theses tested and similar are really tough. Others less than $100 ones are easily defeated with a crowbar. With powerful battery tools everything can be cut off with time and work.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips