Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #1

Sea Eagle 385fta Inflatable Kayak

Wifey and I both had rotomolded kayaks, just could never quite figure out how to bring them along in the RV, wound up giving them away when we went full-time.

I missed getting out on the water though, so I started looking at folding kayaks... always wanted a Klepper but I see one needs to be independently wealthy to afford one of those, plus it's not clear I can squeeze my fat derriere into one any more.

Sea Eagle inflatables caught my eye. Their 12 1/2 footer is rated to carry 600lbs, and there's enough room in it to use as a tandem (barely) but it's not too big for a solo paddler. Typical "inner tube" style pontoons; there's a keel of sorts made out of a combination of hard plastic and an inflatable section. And the floor is made from the same technology as inflatable stand-up paddleboards, not quite sure how they do it, but with as little as 3psi inflation it's pretty durn firm.

Wifey and I took the Sea Eagle out for its maiden voyage today, and we are impressed. It's plenty quick. Sits low to the water so it handles OK in the breeze, I will say it has a bit of yaw in a following sea or downwind but it was generally a snap to handle. The combination of the low sitting position, the rigid floor, and decent sized side tubes makes for a stable boat.

Paddling around in the mangroves, it was blessedly quiet, it'll be a great stealth fishing boat. Out in the bay, we encountered up to eight inch chop. It's not a dry boat by any means but it'll handle a mild chop well, as well as moderate wakes long as you keep your eyes open.

It's heavy and a bit awkward to lug around uninflated. Easier if you blow it up so the two of you can tote it around by the grab handles.

Speaking of which, it's easy to inflate, seriously it took longer to snap the seats in than it did to inflate the thing. On the other hand, putting it back to bed again is a production. The carry case is well designed so you don't have to fold it perfectly; however, you have to spread it out to let it dry before you store it.

They have a couple of different packages. They have a fishing package with a swivel seat, which struck me as fairly unique so I bought that. The fishing package also has rod holders, and I believe extra layers of material to protect against punctures. They also have non-redneck versions for those so inclined.

Far as accessories go, their four-piece paddles are actually really nice, at $60 apiece, stock up on those. I don't know that their "tall back kayak seats" are anything to scream about, I got a pair off amazon for cheap. What would really make a difference would be a pair of boat cushions, which I guess is a testament to how firm the floor gets.

You're only supposed to use their pumps, which have custom fittings, so get one. We got the one that looks like a bicycle pump; it's not hard to use but if you have a bad back, get the foot pump.

I ordered from the manufacturer direct, paid $1400 for the Bubba package and considered it money well spent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #2

Thank you for your writeup. We have been talking about getting something for the water and can fold or deflate in order to store it in the coach, somewhere.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:23 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
We have had a Sea Eagle for about 7 years, 385fta. It has been great as we can use it as a single or tandem.
Bought it before they came out with the fishing version. Have had thoughts to sell it and by the fishing unit so I can get rid of my hard shell VIBE fish unit.
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #4

I have owned one of Sea Eagles earlier versions, ES330 or something like that. I have not used a bunch but it has held up well. I have used in saltwater inlet as well as freshwater lakes. Fish out of it from time to time.
Saltyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #5

I've been having the same thoughts because our "real" kayaks require us to haul a trailer which I'd rather not do. Do you have a process for cleaning and drying the kayaks after using them? I know our kayaks can get pretty smelly depending on the river or lake we've been in but I can put them in the trailer and wait to clean them when we get home. If they were sharing the RV with us it would be a problem.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #6

At a minimum, you gotta unroll it when you get home and let it dry before you pack it away. Takes a while because there are a lot of nooks where water can gather. Ideally hose it off, put some protectant on it and then let it dry
Old 07-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #7

I bought one of Sea Eagle's inflatable seats to set atop my inflatable paddleboard, and it's comfy. It is a bit bothersome to carry two pumps though; my SUP has a Haikey-Roberts valve (insert nozzle and give 1/4 turn to lock in place, and when deflating there's a push button that pops up). The seat has a screw-into-place valve (Boston valve I think it's called, one unscrews the lower part to let air out). My rig isn't fast but it's good paddling exercise and tracks well.

If anyone knows of an adapter to turn a H-R type fitting into a Boston, PM me! I have searched online but never found one.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote