Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 AM   #1

We have had and used our Sewer Solution for almost 3 years ... best $100 we ever spent ... I have seen so many people have thier 'old' 3" hoses break and leak ... yuck!

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 AM   #2

We have had and used our Sewer Solution for almost 3 years ... best $100 we ever spent ... I have seen so many people have thier 'old' 3" hoses break and leak ... yuck!

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #3

I agree this is a great product. I don't know how many demonstrations I have been asked to give at campgrounds and how many I have sold for them. "I don't work for the company" I got tired of the pesky pin hole leaks in the big hose, much cleaner to use. Safe Travels, Jim Bob
Old 01-17-2006, 05:11 AM   #4

I've used it at home, simply because the sewer cleanout is not close enough for the regular dump hose. However, I don't use it on the road.

I've found that it works well, but there is a weakness in the design. The attachment points on the Sewer Solution head easily break after they've been put on and taken off a few times. They're too brittle. I've replaced the main head a couple of times so I know that it is a weakness in the design that has not been fixed.

The solution for me was to purchase a common extender that is used on any of the hoses. I leave it permanently attached to the Sewer Solution head and simply attach/disattach the extension from the drain pipe. It has worked for me to keep the Sewer Solution from breaking.

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #5

I have used the Sewer Solution for about 3 years. Replaced the head about a year ago when ears broke off. It has been great to dump my tanks at my house, my sewer cleanout is about 70 feet from my trailer parking area. I use some 1 inch pvc pipe, slip the sections together and dump. My coach also has the hose connector on the outside to spray inside the black tank. For about 2 years my black tank level indicator always showed full, even when empty. I finally filled the tank before returning from a campground, added Calgon to water and drove back. When I dumped the tank only a few gallons came through then it just trickled. I looked down through toilet with flashlight and tank was nearly full and a LOT of paper floating in it. After water trickled out the bottom of tank was covered with paper. I went out and bought a wand and used a pressure stream down through the toilet and broke up the paper. Took about an hour draining and wanding to get it cleaned up. Now my level gage works fine.

My conclusion is that when you dump with the slinky you get a big dump of water that carries solids and paper down. The SS does not give that rush of draining water.

Now I use a good quality slinky when camping. If I need to dump at home I use the ss.

If you can read this, thank a Teacher
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hillbilly:
I have used the Sewer Solution for about 3 years.
I looked down through toilet with flashlight and tank was nearly full and a LOT of paper floating in it. After water trickled out the bottom of tank was covered with paper. I went out and bought a wand and used a pressure stream down through the toilet and broke up the paper. Took about an hour draining and wanding to get it cleaned up. Now my level gage works fine.

My conclusion is that when you dump with the slinky you get a big dump of water that carries solids and paper down. The SS does not give that rush of draining water.

Now I use a good quality slinky when camping. If I need to dump at home I use the ss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hillbilly, To what extent could this be the result of using regular TP rather than the, more expensive stuff for RV's and septic systems. Maybe its time to change TP brands?
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
B&D

We assembled a version of the Poor Man's Sewer Solution last October, and it has worked very satifactorily so far. I used some brass hose connects and it still cost less than $40 US. The most difficult part was drilling the port in the copper plug (getting the drill centered due to my less than steady hand!) Works like a charm, and monitoring the the emptying of the tanks is easier and seems to be quicker (&lt;20minutes) This is the website from which we obtained the instructions: http://cabotumc.dns2go.com/ss/sewer.htm . I used a 4 blade Valterra 3" threaded sewer pipe connection rather that the 2 bladed one shown for a much more robust, durable connection. An elegant design w/o moving parts to replace or service and no power consumption.

We use a Tornado black tank flush in conjuction and have no problems w/sluggish emptying or residual material.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
paz

I have used a Sewer Solution since 2000 and agree this is the best product for the money to eliminate messy problems with dumping. I have successfully used it to pump uphill several feet and for distances of up to 40'.

Although the Sewer Solution is a little slower draining than the standard 3" Stinky Slinky, I have never had a problem with incomplete draining. We always use good quality bacterial holding tank chemical (Snow Fresh), Scott tissue, and plenty of water when we flush the toilet to keep the ratio of liquid to solid in the black tank high. I have a black tank flush, but I never use it because it never seems to get any appreciable amount of additional solids out after simply draining and rinsing with the Sewer Solution.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
paz

B&D, the "Poor Man's Sewer Solution" you link to looks very interesting and looks like a good, inexpensive way to accomplish the same thing as the Sewer Solution. I am going to bookmark that page and might give it a try if I ever need to replace my Sewer Solution. The only thing missing is the ability to swivel the water jet to shoot water up into the tank to rinse. This is not a big deal if you have a separate black tank rinse.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Good system, been very hapy with it. Certainly a lot better than the 3" monster. Makes storage a breeze.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #11

B&D,

Where did you get the "1 inch reinforced hose"? It looks like everything else would be available at Lowes or Home Depot. Thanks for your response.

RetiredSKP
Old 05-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
B&D

Retired SKP,

I just used some clear thick walled 1" plastic hose from the plumbing area, secured it with auto hose clamps. I also got a 25ft length of black plastic reinforced hose found in the lawn and garden area near the fountains/fish ponds for extention, but have not used it at this time.

With the Tornado black tank flush system, I don't need the ball valve for back flushing. BTW have had the Tornado unit for 5 years w/o a leak (knock on wood).
Old 05-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RetiredSKP:
B&D,

Where did you get the "1 inch reinforced hose"? It looks like everything else would be available at Lowes or Home Depot. Thanks for your response.

RetiredSKP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you'll find the hose at Lowes or Home Depot. Just ask for it, they have hose reels of it at all stores.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #14

B&D and Bald Eagle

Thanks for the replys. I will check for the hose by asking someone at both places.

RetiredSKP