Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #1

Last week I replaced the factory water pump in our 2004 Beaver Monterey with a Shurflo 5.7 Extreme variable speed pump.

This is a great pump. We absolutely cannot hear it anywhere in the coach. It provides a steady flow--no pulsing--at all flow levels. The flow from a single faucet is significantly higher than with the old pump, and we get the same strong flow when we turn on a second faucet at the same time.

The only down side is that we can outrun the capacity of the "continuous unlimited hot water" HydroHot with a very long shower at full flow. We can also fill the gray water tank faster if we always take advantage of the increased flow at wide open throttle.

It's the best $200 I have spent on an RV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #2

Last week I replaced the factory water pump in our 2004 Beaver Monterey with a Shurflo 5.7 Extreme variable speed pump.

This is a great pump. We absolutely cannot hear it anywhere in the coach. It provides a steady flow--no pulsing--at all flow levels. The flow from a single faucet is significantly higher than with the old pump, and we get the same strong flow when we turn on a second faucet at the same time.

The only down side is that we can outrun the capacity of the "continuous unlimited hot water" HydroHot with a very long shower at full flow. We can also fill the gray water tank faster if we always take advantage of the increased flow at wide open throttle.

It's the best $200 I have spent on an RV.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I see this is your first post. Welcome to irv2.
I agree that the 5.7 is a good pump. Feel free to evaluate anything you try out. We are always looking for feedback on all the products available to us RVers.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #4

Glad to hear a good water pump review. As first time RVers we are not happy with the LOAD water pump. I will have to check into the ShurFlo! Thanks

1 Wife
Minister Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denali:
We can also fill the gray water tank faster if we always take advantage of the increased flow at wide open throttle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One of the first upgrades that we accomplished was getting the Shureflo 5.7. It's great pump and it does perform just as you posted.

Water management become more important when you have a high capacity pump, I find myself throttling back on the faucet quite a lot.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #6

I installed the 5.7 in my MH before our trip to Perry,Ga for the FMCA get together in March after reading comments of how good it performed. It was great being able to take a shower with pressure as good or better than being "hooked up". Still managed to not run the fresh water tank out before we left after a week. Another satisfied customer!

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B,W22,Bilstein Shocks,Steer Safe Stabilizer,Surge Guard,Remco Tow Bar,Chevy Tracker Toad,BrakePro,FMCA F354676,UltraPower Upgrade,
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Just installed it in our coach. It tests well, but the real test will be next week when we take it out for a few days.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #8

My father-in-law has this pump in his rig and it works great. He gets better pressure from the pump than the city connection.

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #9

The Shurflo 5.7 sounds like a great pump, but how do you DYI the install? I'm talking about the fittings for the lines, don't they use unique fittings in the RV industry? Please pardon my naivete about RV plumbing.
Thanks
TwoOfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:59 AM   #10

The 5.7 is essentially "plug-n-play". Just remove your old pump, mount the new 5.7, and your old fittings should screw right onto it. Of course, if you have an older coach, say pre-1990, you may have to get a little "creative" with some adapters or fittings, but it shouldn't be a big obstacle.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #11

The pump uses the same 1/2" pipe thread fittings that our old pump used. I had to relocate the new pump because there was not enough room for it and the special filter it uses in the space occupied by our old pump. Since the directions for installation say to use at least 18" (I think) of flexible high pressure line on both the inlet and outlet sides to further reduce noise, it would have been difficult to install it in the original location anyway.

With a couple feet of high pressure line on each end, it was simple to locate it in a convenient location.

The whole process was very simple, requiring no plumbing expertise--just a couple trips to the hardware store. If plumbing expertise had been required, it would still be in the box.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Installed it in less then 1/2 hour. Works great. Still hear it a little but you have to listen for it. Great pressure. More water useage so have to watch tanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #13

Can this pump be used with an accumulator tank?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #14

You dont really need an accumulator tank with this pump but it wont hurt anything. You may have to reset the precharge pressure on the tank (the little air valve on to of the tank) to take advantage of the slightly higher pressure.