Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

Angry Slide Toppers - Broken Attachment Arms

We took our 2017 Forest River Sun Seeker Model 3010 on its first cross-country trip in June and the first time I put the driver's side (big) slide out, I heard a BANG at the halfway out point. After looking inside for something caught between the wall and slide, I went outside and found the rear arm that attaches the roller to the slide broken off and the roller hanging down the face of the slide by the fabric. When I retracted the slide, some of the topper material was retrieved leaving a fair amount to blow in the wind along with one end of the roller mechanism. Since I couldn't drive the RV in this condition, I consulted the RV park owner and she put me in contact with a mobile mechanic who brought a ladder and some heavy-duty zip-ties to secure the broken roller assembly to the RV. When we got to our destination and extended the slide, the arm on the other end broke which drove us to completely remove the roller assembly from the slide. THEN, at our last stop on this 6,000+ mile trip, the same thing happened to the bedroom slide topper. I found a ladder and used the extra zip-ties in the same manner as the other side and we made it home. This time, the front arm held but we had slide topper material flapping in the breeze which drew a lot of horn blasts from concerned truckers (thanks for your concern).
Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Is this a systemic problem? Fortunately - I bought an extended warrantee which will cover most of the cost but they want to use the same system which could result in the same problems. This drives my curiosity about the reliability of these assemblies. My wife and I appreciate your help.
14-33.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

Ever notice how small the screws are that hold these on are ?
If the screws are pulled out, you could replace them with the next or 2 sizes above what you had, OR you could move the brackets forward or back and remount them with bigger screws, Stainless screws of course. You may have to drill the bracket out for bigger screws.
The hex shaft is adjustable and held in the mounting bracket with set screws, so you can tune it.
Ask me how I know all this ...........
Old 07-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14-33.2 View Post
We took our 2017 Forest River Sun Seeker Model 3010 on its first cross-country trip in June and the first time I put the driver's side (big) slide out, I heard a BANG at the halfway out point. After looking inside for something caught between the wall and slide, I went outside and found the rear arm that attaches the roller to the slide broken off and the roller hanging down the face of the slide by the fabric. When I retracted the slide, some of the topper material was retrieved leaving a fair amount to blow in the wind along with one end of the roller mechanism. Since I couldn't drive the RV in this condition, I consulted the RV park owner and she put me in contact with a mobile mechanic who brought a ladder and some heavy-duty zip-ties to secure the broken roller assembly to the RV. When we got to our destination and extended the slide, the arm on the other end broke which drove us to completely remove the roller assembly from the slide. THEN, at our last stop on this 6,000+ mile trip, the same thing happened to the bedroom slide topper. I found a ladder and used the extra zip-ties in the same manner as the other side and we made it home. This time, the front arm held but we had slide topper material flapping in the breeze which drew a lot of horn blasts from concerned truckers (thanks for your concern).
Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Is this a systemic problem? Fortunately - I bought an extended warrantee which will cover most of the cost but they want to use the same system which could result in the same problems. This drives my curiosity about the reliability of these assemblies. My wife and I appreciate your help.
Yup, it is a fairly common issue. Did your brackets actually break or did they pull out of the mounting on the slide out. I have seen both. It is generally cause by lack of cleaning the slide out cover when camping in areas with lots of trees, pine cones, twigs, leaves or leaving a small child on the roof. Stuff gets in the roller and it binds. The ends of the roller should also be lubricated with dry lube often.

I do 6 months in Mazatlan Mx and the amount of crap that falls from coconut palms is terrible. All it takes is to climb a step ladder and hose them off before closing. To be honest with you I am not a big fan of slide out covers as they are never tight. I had one tear in a NM campground high up on the hill in the wind. Managed to duct tape it but replaced it when home.

You can back the tension off on them and that helps some, seems when loose they don't grab as much junk as when tight, but then the flop in the wind and hold water in the rain.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

I wish you luck in getting this fixed. Are you the original owner? If not did the original owner have any similar problems? You might want to contact them.

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #5

Appreciate the replies. They actually broke at the base of the arms. When not on the road - the RV lives under a 20x50ft cover with the slides in. Thanks for the dry-lube tip, I'll give it a try.

Yes - we're the original owners and bought it Jan of 2018. It now has 11,000 miles on it and as I mentioned, this was our first big trip. A little disappointing! Glad I bought the Platinum extended warranty.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14-33.2 View Post
Appreciate the replies. They actually broke at the base of the arms. When not on the road - the RV lives under a 20x50ft cover with the slides in. Thanks for the dry-lube tip, I'll give it a try.

Yes - we're the original owners and bought it Jan of 2018. It now has 11,000 miles on it and as I mentioned, this was our first big trip. A little disappointing! Glad I bought the Platinum extended warranty.
Well since it was the arms that broke, at least you know they are fastened into something solid.

If you can get a make and model off of them usually you can google the brand and parts for that brand will pop up. Replacing the arms is a little more difficult than just refastening them back into the slide out. You may have to unroll the awning all the way just like you would if replacing the fabric. On most the bracket is part of the roller. Do they look something like this.

https://www.campingworld.com/black-s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

My guess is that you will need to release the roller spring tension, put the new brackets on and then reset the tension. Not difficult but definitely a 2 man job
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #8

Thanks for the input - looks just like the ones on my RV.
Fortunately - the extended warranty I purchased with the RV is going to replace both of the toppers. Campers Inn negotiated the repairs and have the new toppers in-hand and I delivered the RV to them this morning.
I will do more research on how to keep this from happening in the future including the use of dry-lube as suggested earlier.
I appreciate everyone's support and comments.

Tags
slide