Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #29

This thread has reached the end of it's useful/uselessness

/Thread
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
offtopic but I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. They don't generate anything. It's like calling a dog a cat. But than again maybe it identifies as a generator lol
Vagabond51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostactics View Post
I left out a really important detail. I'm taking about a 12-13k mini split not a roof monster. They draw about 300 in maintenance mode at 500 when you're pushing them. Outside temp dependant. They also don't have the surge wattage that a roof unit has, even vs one with a soft start.

An 1800 watt "solar generator" isn't going to be enough to run at mini in 110 deg heat all night but I'm thinking it may be enough to run it for long enough to get some decent shut eye during quiet hours when I can't run the gen. Id want to figure out if there's a way to have the AC be soley powered off the solar gen and have everything else handled by the house battery.
I think you need to do some data collecting. Here are some calculations based on the engineering principles and data I've seen here....

Knowing you have 12kBTU mini-split, IF it is a high SEER (say around 20) with an EER of likely 12, your full capacity power consumption (by the definition of EER) will be 1kW (kBTU/EER = W)....Your 'maintenance consumption' will depend on the size of the space you are trying to cool, your heat gain (likely poor insulation) and the 'turndown ratio' (the ability of a variable speed system to slow down). Assuming your turndown is 70% (minimum speed is 30% which is what a premium brand will provide), your low-speed consumption will likely be around 400W (its not linear with capacity). There is absolutely no assumption that your system will satisfy your load at this low level unless; 1) your insulation is good, 2) your space is small, the temperature differential is less than ~10F and 4) humidity is low. As a matter of fact, I'd guess if ANY of the above is not true, is more likely to fun at 600W or more.

If you want to use a lot of power (400W x 8 hours = 3200Wh) and not be plugged in, you need to generate that power somehow. A 3kW generator would obviously need to run flat out for over an hour and that also assumes you have a 3kW battery charger (3kW/14.4V = 208A continuously) AND enough battery to store that power, (which you have already shown you don't have and don't want to buy).

I'm trying to throw some numbers to your expectations to show that your expectations are WAY out of line with your equipment and plans.

I run 8 hours/day of 9kBTU mini-split A/C a day on solar and battery. I have an R13 envelope with 2-1/2" walls on a 12ft floor (with bunk), 14kWh battery (but only need ~4kWh to do this), 950W of solar. I recommend you look at my video and see if you can work through a similar energy balance exercise if you want to develop some method of achieving your objectives.
MechEngrSGH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, solar