Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Sorry I picked Rexing Dash cam

I was excited when my new dash cam showed up. I opted for the smart hardwire kit because the features included a parking monitor and the camera turned on and off with the ignition rather than a cigarette lighter plug.

Installation was not difficult but the two spade fuses on the power wires needed to be cut off and discarded because they were wrong for my fuse block. I don't understand why they wouldn't just put universal inline fuses that would accommodate all configurations. Next, wires were not long enough to reach from my fuses to the location on the windshield where I wanted the camera mounted. My fuses are in the forward basement compartment just to the left of the steering wheel. It is not a long run but wire had to be added. Ironic because the cigarette adapter has enough wire to make a clothes line.

Once installed the set up is when the real headache started. Toggling through the many menus and screens is a nightmare. Included in the box was a "quick start" but not a full manual. I could not find one on their website. When trying to register the thing it came up in Chinese.

It never got better. I downloaded the app to connect to the camera via wifi. After trial, error and scrolling through countless screens it finally hooked up to my phone. Score! That was a victory in a lot of frustration. Deal is that once the camera was disconnect neither devise remembers how to shake hands again.

Finally I found a full manual on Amazon. It is 51 pages of small print and a huge pain for an old geezer. I like no hassles. They should have an age limitation to purchase.

OK, off the soap box. It was not such a great upgrade and 150 bucks not that well spent.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good information. Seems like more and more stuff comes without a manual these days. I just bought a Garmin dash cam - seems pretty good but Im still learning it - no manual with it either so Im just feeling my way with it.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:08 PM   #3

I loved my Rexing only for the camera being right against the windshield, preventing dash glare.
I gave up on all features other than simple recording. Even the time would reset...

My new dashcam has GPS so it keeps perfect time, but the glare gets pretty bad at times ...

So far have not found the perfect solution.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Good information. Seems like more and more stuff comes without a manual these days. I just bought a Garmin dash cam - seems pretty good but Im still learning it - no manual with it either so Im just feeling my way with it.

I believe that this is what corporations refer to as "Going Green".
As someone that prefers the old school method, I like having a full manual in front of me and not having to use my computer for operating instructions.

Tim
Old 10-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
I believe that this is what corporations refer to as "Going Green".
As someone that prefers the old school method, I like having a full manual in front of me and not having to use my computer for operating instructions.

Tim
I found mine on line and was going to print it - 30 pages! Dont know about green, but I dont want to print 30 pages on my laser printer and I guess they didn't want the expense either - more like going cheap!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rexing has manuals for all of their products in PDF format that are very readable and/or printable at the following link. RexingUSA Product Support
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #7

Not user friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Rexing has manuals for all of their products in PDF format that are very readable and/or printable at the following link. RexingUSA Product Support
Show me the manual for a V1GW-4K. It is the latest and not even listed on their support page. They will sell you one though for $129. Terrible website and very hard instructions to follow.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
Show me the manual for a V1GW-4K. It is the latest and not even listed on their support page. They will sell you one though for $129. Terrible website and very hard instructions to follow.
I stand corrected. They don't have ALL of their products on the support page.

I am not familiar with the V1GW-4K version but is it substantially different enough from the V1P that one couldn't use that manual for key functions and settings?

I have been using a dash camera for about ten years, and the Rexing instructions seem as clear as any other dash camera instructions I've read.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That makes me very happy that I bought the Rove R2-4K! It is super-easy to program and use. You could probably program it without a manual if you had to.

I got an e-mail yesterday where Rove is offering a 20% discount right now!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:57 AM   #10

I have Rexing dash cams in 3 vehicles and have never had a problem. They just do their job and as I don't share my boring life on YouTube I've only needed the footage once. The other driver was charged after the Trooper viewed the footage at the scene.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:02 AM   #11

I have the Rexing V1 4K
Bought it directly from Rexing new, they had it on special for $84 on EBay this past summer.
Works great, no hardwire. Just plug it it when I leave, unplug when I get there.
Set up I thought was easy I just did the setup once.
The WiFi connected perfectly the first try.
Videos are great.
[Mod Edit]
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
+2 on the wifi not working and I work with computers and networks all of the time. I also get a statement that the memory card is slow. Tried two different Class 10 cards and same error. Now they do make a faster card, but they cost more than the dash cam.

Placed the microSD card in my computer and the image quality is pretty darn good. So for the price, guess not totally dissatisfied.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #13

I like mine (V1) other than the wifi turning off each restart (even with the hardwire kit). Their app isnt great so I just pull the card and plug it into my laptop if I need to pull video.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #14

Any concerns with WiFi not working on the Rove units?

Mike
FV Icy Swan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash