Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steering Stabilizer Recommendations

I will be having a steering stabilizer installed this year.

I am leaning towards a Blue Ox. I like the ability to set a new center in high wind.

What are your experiences with Blue Ox?

How about other steering stabilizers?

Thank you,

g
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 06:02 AM   #2

Just get the trucenter and don't look back.

I have come to the conclusion that you can't get rid of the initial wind jolt. The only thing that gets rid of it, it's time behind the wheel as you learn to react to them. I always notice it at the beginning of a trip and totally forget about it shortly after.

The stabilizers help to some degree, but you have to understand that they are not a smart system. What I mean by a smart systems would be something with gyros or sensors that will auto correct steering for you. They do help a lot in keeping the wheel centered especially the trucenter since it's adjustable. Where the trucenter shines is where you have a constant wind or road imperfection pushing you to one side. You can press a button and it will get rid of that extra effort it takes to keep the MH going down straight.

Another thing I like about stabilizers is that they tend to give the MH more positive caster. The extra force helps return the wheel back to center during turns. Last but not least, they are supposed to give you an extra hand in case of a front tire blowout.

My word of advice, don't skimp on a stabilizer if you are going to get one.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I will be having a steering stabilizer installed this year.

I am leaning towards a Blue Ox. I like the ability to set a new center in high wind.

What are your experiences with Blue Ox?

How about other steering stabilizers?

Thank you,

g
There is an upgrade accessory for the Saf-T-Plus which gives it the same capabilities as the Tru-Center. If you had them both installed at the same time, I would think the total cost for both would be comparable.

A note of caution. Be sure to have your front end aligned before either is installed. I had the Tru-Center on my previous coach... when I took the coach to Freightliner for my annual, I asked them to do an alignment (knowing it had had a slight pull to the right before it was installed). They had a difficult time doing the alignment with the Tru-Center - finally had to disconnect it to do the alignment, then re-connect the Tru-Center. Charging by the hour, it cost me a couple extra hours labor!! Ouch!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgso View Post
There is an upgrade accessory for the Saf-T-Plus which gives it the same capabilities as the Tru-Center. If you had them both installed at the same time, I would think the total cost for both would be comparable.

A note of caution. Be sure to have your front end aligned before either is installed. I had the Tru-Center on my previous coach... when I took the coach to Freightliner for my annual, I asked them to do an alignment (knowing it had had a slight pull to the right before it was installed). They had a difficult time doing the alignment with the Tru-Center - finally had to disconnect it to do the alignment, then re-connect the Tru-Center. Charging by the hour, it cost me a couple extra hours labor!! Ouch!
They took your for a ride. All they had to do is loosen the clamp, do the alignment, recenter the piston, and re tighten the clamp. The alignment has nothing to do with the trucenter except after the alignment is done, the trucenter may need to be recentered. This is so that the piston has enough clearance to move fully in and out without binding.

If I remember, it was more expensive and more troublesome to do the add on to the safe t plus than it was to get the all in one truecenter.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
They took your for a ride. All they had to do is loosen the clamp, do the alignment, recenter the piston, and re tighten the clamp. The alignment has nothing to do with the trucenter except after the alignment is done, the trucenter may need to be recentered. This is so that the piston has enough clearance to move fully in and out without binding.

If I remember, it was more expensive and more troublesome to do the add on to the safe t plus than it was to get the all in one truecenter.
Well, next time I'll be sure to consult you before I have my coach in for service!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgso View Post
Well, next time I'll be sure to consult you before I have my coach in for service!
Didn't mean to come across rude, I just hate when shops take advantage of people. I'm the type that if you bring it over to my house, I'll fix it for you. These shops see you pull up in a nice coach and all they see is dollar signs.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Blue Ox True Center and love it. Works just as it is advertised. Just push the button and the steering centers. Makes for a more relaxed drive on windy days and slanted roads.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy I sure would like something like them. My old gal really gets blown around. There is some sort of shock looking thing under the front end and is suppose to help with it but it really don't. I had it replaced when I bought her but maybe whats being discussed here would help more?. I also wonder if replacing the skinny tires would make a difference?
How many time do you need to push the Button? Every time a gust of wind hits the coach?
Thank's
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Boy I sure would like something like them. My old gal really gets blown around. There is some sort of shock looking thing under the front end and is suppose to help with it but it really don't. I had it replaced when I bought her but maybe whats being discussed here would help more?. I also wonder if replacing the skinny tires would make a difference?
How many time do you need to push the Button? Every time a gust of wind hits the coach?
Thank's
Tim
I think they all get blown around especially the older they get since things get worn out a bit. Not sure what's on yours, but what you want is one that provides a centering force. Basically, a shock with something built into it that helps it keep a certain position. On the cheaper ones you have to initially adjust the shock so that the coach tracks straight down the road. If the road slants or you have a constant wind push, you have to hold the steering until it's gone. With a stabilizer like the trucenter, you push a button, and the shock learns a new position taking the effort away from the steering. When the slant or wind is gone, you press the button, and let it go back to center. One thing to note is that none of the stabilizers will get rid of the push wind gusts will give your coach. They will help a bit, but will not make it go away. I'm sure you already know this, but tire pressure will make a big difference on how it rides. Ten PSI made a huge difference in how mine rode down the road.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tim,

I find myself pressing the button maybe every 15 minutes on a very windy day or when the road surface changes often. It is very easy to do and only takes a quick push of the button. If it is not windy or the road surface is not changing then I may push the button once an hour.

I can be driving with the wind pushing hard on the coach and steering wheel, then push the button, after that I can take my hands off of the wheel and the coach goes straight as an arrow.

I have a big heavy coach with a tag axle. If it makes a difference on this coach I would assume on a non-tag axle, lighter, shorter coach it would make an even bigger difference. Great investment and well worth the price.

Stuart
Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you,
I think first I will try a better or different shock and if no help I will look into Super-Steer or BlueOx I plan on keeping her for awhile.
Thanks for the info,
Much appreciated,
Tim
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How has the reliability been on the trucenter? I know a couple years ago people were complaining right and left about the solenoid giving out. Has that been corrected?
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
How has the reliability been on the trucenter? I know a couple years ago people were complaining right and left about the solenoid giving out. Has that been corrected?
I spoke with the head engineer and he explained what the problem was and the fix. All of the ones out there for sale have the retrofitted part.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am going to look into this further. I took a short overnight-er last week up north and got blown all over the place. Up here we have stretches of hwy's that are pine-tree lined and then come to a open field and get almost blown into the left lane scary to say the least.
I'm still not sold on the button one. I feel I would spend the whole drive pushing the button on/off all day long
I've read up on the Super Stear and there Bell Cranks and feel that is the way I should go.
Tim

Tags
steering