Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I am going to look into this further. I took a short overnight-er last week up north and got blown all over the place. Up here we have stretches of hwy's that are pine-tree lined and then come to a open field and get almost blown into the left lane scary to say the least.
I'm still not sold on the button one. I feel I would spend the whole drive pushing the button on/off all day long
I've read up on the Super Stear and there Bell Cranks and feel that is the way I should go.
Tim
It sounds like you have two things going on. One, is loose steering, and the other is getting pushed around by winds. Fix your loose steering first and then deal with something to help with winds.

When you first install the trucenter, you will find your self pushing the button until you find where the coach goes straight down the road. After that, you'll push it again only on long hauls where you have a constant wind or a constant slant on the road. You won't push it on long hauls where you have trees blocking winds and sudden gaps. The reason I went with trucenter was not because I thought I was going to be pushing the button all of the time. I got it because with the others you have to find that initial sweet spot and that meant stopping, getting underneath to readjust. It's supposed to be a one time only, but knowing me, I'll be pulling over every so often to readjust. It's like having power windows vs. manual...not needed, but it sure is nice to have.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info.
I watched the install Video again,(TruCenter Steering Control) and no where is it said what the cable hooks up to, Power wise? It has to have power doesn't it?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Blue OX... About the time mine was installed Blue Ox did a recall, seems mine was NOT one of the units recalled... however when it failed, they still replaced it no charge (Like 5 years later).

Also,, during the "Down time" I visited the factory,, they told me what one of the major problems with the Blue Ox was (People sit on the button for like 5 plus minutes trying to center it) I told the consultant what to do about that.. And darn if the new replacement unit did not incorporate my suggestion.

I will make a few omments.

One: IF it sizes up on you,,, Well disconnect till you can replace (I mean remove a bolt). Mine would not let me turn more than a couple degrees left.. So I put it on a site and removed it and mailed it back to Pender, NE

The unit is not as "Strong" as some of the others.. This is a 2 edged thing, some folks feel they put additional wear on the steering gear.

There is a very nice campground in PENDER, NE right next to the Blue-Ox Factory,, Short form directions follow:
Main road going North, turn left, then drive past the first road and turn left into the CG
To get to the plant,, that road you passed, take it, 1st drive on right.

The manual says "DO NOT PRESS BUTTON WHEN DRIVING" but of course you will (Don't we all)

Remember those movies and/or TV shows where a novice pilot has to land the big airplane.. Well when he turns off the Auto-Pilot he dang near looses control of the plane... BELIEVE THEM it is that dramatic.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Thanks for the info.
I watched the install Video again,(TruCenter Steering Control) and no where is it said what the cable hooks up to, Power wise? It has to have power doesn't it?
Tim
It just hooks up to 12 volts. I installed a dead pedal type of bracket with the push button switch in the middle. The fuse box was a few inches away and that's where I grabbed power from.

It does take a few miles to get used to it. The first thing you'll notice is a little extra resistance when the highway curves a bit. I also installed their rear end track bar and that helped the rear end some. Between the Blue Ox stuff and the correct tire air pressure, it's become a lot more pleasant to drive under crappy conditions.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have the Blue OX... About the time mine was installed Blue Ox did a recall, seems mine was NOT one of the units recalled... however when it failed, they still replaced it no charge (Like 5 years later).

Also,, during the "Down time" I visited the factory,, they told me what one of the major problems with the Blue Ox was (People sit on the button for like 5 plus minutes trying to center it) I told the consultant what to do about that.. And darn if the new replacement unit did not incorporate my suggestion.

I will make a few omments.

One: IF it sizes up on you,,, Well disconnect till you can replace (I mean remove a bolt). Mine would not let me turn more than a couple degrees left.. So I put it on a site and removed it and mailed it back to Pender, NE

The unit is not as "Strong" as some of the others.. This is a 2 edged thing, some folks feel they put additional wear on the steering gear.

There is a very nice campground in PENDER, NE right next to the Blue-Ox Factory,, Short form directions follow:
Main road going North, turn left, then drive past the first road and turn left into the CG
To get to the plant,, that road you passed, take it, 1st drive on right.

The manual says "DO NOT PRESS BUTTON WHEN DRIVING" but of course you will (Don't we all)

Remember those movies and/or TV shows where a novice pilot has to land the big airplane.. Well when he turns off the Auto-Pilot he dang near looses control of the plane... BELIEVE THEM it is that dramatic.
So you are the reason for the timer! Good deal.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I asked this before but got no response, so I am trying again.
I have a shock absorber that runs front to rear. I replaced it when I bought her 3-4 years ago.
I see I can get one that goes drivers side towards passenger side Front and it has a spring over a shock looking item. The one I'm looking @ Is a Bilstien and I have there shocks on board.
So what is the one going front to rear doing?
#2 how do I tighten up my steering? my neighbor says he adjusted it last year.?
I've been looking into a True Center Unit but have found this shock/spring one for several hundreds less.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering