Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #1

Recently received an email from DeLorme about special pricing for the SA 2006 to registered DeLorme users.
I have 2004 and am interested in upgrading if the new version is better.
Has anyone gotten 2006 yet and can provide feedback?

Bill & Joan
Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #2

Recently received an email from DeLorme about special pricing for the SA 2006 to registered DeLorme users.
I have 2004 and am interested in upgrading if the new version is better.
Has anyone gotten 2006 yet and can provide feedback?

Bill & Joan
Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
No but I'll probably buy it as soon as it becomes available.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I installed mine last week, a little better than 2005, much better than 2004. Be sure to select Advanced File Management when you install. It gives you a lot more flecibility with route and draw files.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Z:
I installed mine last week, a little better than 2005 . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have they added any Canadian content with the new version? The last I heard, was that major Canadian cities such as Edmonton, Alberta were being represented by a mere dot on the map, in contrast to the complete Canadian coverage offered by Microsoft Steets & Trips for many years.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
There is not much detail there for Canada, many cities and towns, very few roads.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've been a longtime user of Delorme products and have upgraded to Street Atlas 2006. I would think the greatest benefit of upgrading is for the updated roads and places of interest (POI). A few new features have been added and some operations have been streamlined, but the interface hasn't changed all that much. I also have their Blue Logger GPS receiver (works great with a Bluetooth enabled PDA, but if you have a USB port, their LT-20 GPS receiver would be a cheaper option).

Although I think the PC version is great, I (and a few others in various GPS forums) have been very disappointed with their handheld (PDA) version. I use Street Atlas 2006 (PC version) for browsing, pre-planning a route, and printing maps at home, but for my PDA (a Dell Axim X50V which I use on the road), I use the Teletype GPS software (http://www.teletype.com).

Using Street Atlas 2006 Handheld, when you download "large" street-level maps (the size of central Ohio according to the export program -- and I don't think that's very large) to the PDA, screen updates, searching, and routing become painfully sluggish. It can take 10 minutes to compute a route for a 45-mile trip on the PDA. Of course, you can compute and download your route in advance, but don't stray. As a comparison, the Teletype software can compute a 400-mile multiple-state route in about 15 seconds with several states data stored on a memory card (I have 4 states stored on an SD card now -- Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia; only uses about 116MB).

-Dave
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:47 AM   #8

Be careful if you switch to SA 2006. It does not support a lot of GPS antennas that the older version did. I have a Navman antenna that I used with every version since 2003, now I loaded on 2006 and it has no support for it. Tech support said it MAY come sometime in the future, but can't be sure.

9/6/2005 I called Delorme today after getting home. If you already have the software and just want the antenna you have to call them and they'll sell it to you for $89.00, $10.00 less than if you bought the software and antenna. Great bargin!
Old 09-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #9

Pat Z
Thanks for the heads up about thr Advanced File Management. I had installed the program the other day and couldn't get some of my draw files to load to the program. They work well in the 2005 program now they work in this program, so once again thanks for the timely reminder.

Travel safe and have fun
Sad Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #10

I have installed delorme 2006. It is much easier to plan a route. They are now using a system similiar to Street & trips to route quickly. In my opinion Steets and trips is much easier to use, and much faster. Delormr cant be beat for comprehesive info. But have you ever noticed that the bread crumb does not always follow the road you are on? sometimes it show us off the road by only 50 feet or so other times it is further (I use delorme's GPS, by the way) Of course I find that Streets & trips program will lockup when I get very close to the "stop" Does anybody else share these opinions? or can tell me what the fix is?