Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking Super Handy Product

They call it many names - silicon grease, plumbers grease, etc., but it is handy stuff! I use it to lubricate the seal and slide valve in the toilet, put a touch on the catches where the outside compartment doors lock in, force a bit in the gears of the batwing TV antenna, and anywhere else some silicon lubrication is called for, knowing the "grease" will last a lot longer than the spray most of us use. You can even use it in lieu of Teflon tape on water fittings (just a little, though).
It can be found in the plumbing section at the hardware store -- I ran into it first at a dive shop. It, like Rainex and WD-40 are products that really work!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustamiata View Post
They call it many names - silicon grease, plumbers grease, etc., but it is handy stuff! I use it to lubricate the seal and slide valve in the toilet, put a touch on the catches where the outside compartment doors lock in, force a bit in the gears of the batwing TV antenna, and anywhere else some silicon lubrication is called for, knowing the "grease" will last a lot longer than the spray most of us use. You can even use it in lieu of Teflon tape on water fittings (just a little, though).
It can be found in the plumbing section at the hardware store -- I ran into it first at a dive shop. It, like Rainex and WD-40 are products that really work!
I have gotten away from WD-40. I prefer the canned Silicone Spray. It is an actual lubricant whereas WD-40 is merely a cleaner. It leaves mating surfaced unlubed.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #3

That is because WD-40 is kerosene based. Kerosene is a solvent...and also an ingredient in diesel fuel.

For freeing up rusted or stuck steel parts, use Kroil.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Do NOT use the steel version on aluminum. They have a special formula for that.

Most silicone sprays don't last unless they are designed to leave a dry-sliding type of film. Most say they do...but dont.

Here is one for plumbers grease.

Heat Proof Plumber's Grease

I use this silicone lube on latches, moving thingies that are not greasable etc...

LPS DryFilm Silicone

...and I use this non silicone based dry-lube on my slide gaskets and seals as well as other rubber stuff.

RZ-50 Dry Film Lubricant - Home

I have absolutely no complaints with any of these...only high praise for how well they work.

Just my $.02 again...
Old 08-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustamiata View Post
I have been using silicone plumber's grease for years. Great stuff. Very water resistant. A little goes a long way.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I have been using silicone plumber's grease for years. Great stuff. Very water resistant. A little goes a long way.
I got my first tub (1.2OZ) of Vacuum Grease when I was a high vacuum tech for Motorola. I took it home to lube something (long since forgotten) and, darn, I forgot to take it back. BTW, it sold for $25/tub back then.

Anyway, I have used it since and still have 1/3 tub left. OH, that was in 1962.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote