Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2023, 06:00 AM   #1

This new battery version is an offgrid game changer.

I put solar in my bus about 4 years ago now and was looking around for ways to test them to see how they were performing when I stumbled upon an updated version of some batteries I had seen a couple years back. The price was now $30 lower and they could now be hooked up serially too. 4S4P providing 20KWH for $5400 + cabling etc. I am not sure why anyone would purchase AGM's anymore as these are $329 on Amazon.

https://amzn.to/3XuUcQN

When I first saw these batteries a couple years back, they could only be setup in parallel, 12v only. Now they can do 48v (4 in series) which would be a real game changer for an off grid home.

-Bill

PS. Now I know what to buy if my testing says my batteries are getting weak...
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2023, 11:41 AM   #2

Weird so it supports up to 16 batteries total? Seems odd there is a limit. With the correct wiring i dont understand why you cant in theory hook up 100 of those batteries in parallel?
wopachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Weird so it supports up to 16 batteries total? Seems odd there is a limit. With the correct wiring i dont understand why you cant in theory hook up 100 of those batteries in parallel?
Internals, terminals and the BMS's probably can't handle it, which is fine in 99.99% of use cases.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #4

Yeah, but now it can do 48 volts. Last time I looked at them they maxed out at 12v. No serial connectivity at all.
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
Old 01-23-2023, 10:13 PM   #5

What do y’all think about using three of these in a 36V golf cart?
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:28 AM   #6

Old 01-25-2023, 05:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Wired in series they should be good. You would need to consider what you are using to charge them and make sure it has a Lithium setting. -Bill
Old 01-25-2023, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
These are 100A discharge so if the golf cart needs less than that, you're good to go. Might be a surge issue getting the motor going.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Yeah, but now it can do 48 volts. Last time I looked at them they maxed out at 12v. No serial connectivity at all.
Was this just marketing though? The 12v battery does not know if its been hooked up in series. The 12v battery itself are 3 cells in series with the BMS to balance and restrict loads at certain temps.

Is the buyer using a device to program the BMS differently if its a single 12v versus two 12v in series? Or do the batteries now talk to each other? Its the charger that needs to be programed. I dont think the single 12v knows its been hooked in series. Unless im missing something the only difference will be available charge amps at a certain point along with wire size.

Can anyone correct me where im wrong? Will be in the market soon for a lithium for my trailer. Im thinking it comes down to wire size and terminal size as mentioned by a guy above. Pretend you had 50 batteries in some configuration. It would take a very powerful charger and some really thick wire to work. Im guessing this is why the battery is advertised as "up to" 16 batteries in a 48v config.

Not trying to argue. Here to learn. My first thought is that it makes no sense why the original battery the OP has cannot be hooked in series.
wopachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Was this just marketing though? The 12v battery does not know if its been hooked up in series. The 12v battery itself are 3 cells in series with the BMS to balance and restrict loads at certain temps.

Is the buyer using a device to program the BMS differently if its a single 12v versus two 12v in series? Or do the batteries now talk to each other? Its the charger that needs to be programed. I dont think the single 12v knows its been hooked in series. Unless im missing something the only difference will be available charge amps at a certain point along with wire size.

Can anyone correct me where im wrong? Will be in the market soon for a lithium for my trailer. Im thinking it comes down to wire size and terminal size as mentioned by a guy above. Pretend you had 50 batteries in some configuration. It would take a very powerful charger and some really thick wire to work. Im guessing this is why the battery is advertised as "up to" 16 batteries in a 48v config.

Not trying to argue. Here to learn. My first thought is that it makes no sense why the original battery the OP has cannot be hooked in series.

It all comes down to what the BMS is rated for. They now support 48 volts, they did not before. Also, 3 LiFePo4 cells do not give you 12v, you must use 4. -Bill
Old 01-27-2023, 06:33 AM   #11

The BMS in the battery is the brains of the system. If there's a problem it shuts the battery down. If you have one battery and it shuts down, your lights go out and start checking things. If there are 4 of them in series making a 48V system (keeps current and wire size down) and one of the batteries shuts down, it's BMS is exposed to the 48V. If its components are rated for 12, they fry at 48.

If you need 150A so your inverter can run the microwave, you could use two batteries rated at 100A discharge in parallel. Each battery would provide 75A and be happy. Again the trouble is when one of the BMSs shuts its battery down. In this case the battery that is left now has to provide the 150A for the inverter and will be overloaded.

I like the storage capacity of these, but keep in mind that if you use a bunch making baked potatoes in the microwave, you need to replace that energy. They can take a fast charge. I can charge a dead 150Ah battery in two hours of generator time where before it took forever with my lead acid.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:49 AM   #12

This new battery version is an offgrid game changer.

I bought 3 of these based on a golf cart test (ezgo just like mine) I watched online. With the discount for 3 and free shipping, came out to about the same price.

https://enjoybot.com/products/enjoyb...42250701406423
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:05 PM   #13

Will Prowse tested these they can deliver really high output.They would be great for someone using more the hybrid side of inverters to inverter genny or mooch docking. Didn't choose huge battery bank. A vast majority of owners are not building air condition capable solar systems. You would want to cable accordingly
Quote:
I bought 3 of these based on a golf cart test (ezgo just like mine) I watched online. With the discount for 3 and free shipping, came out to about the same price.

https://enjoybot.com/products/enjoyb...42250701406423
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, game