Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Gauge

We just recently got our new class C that has dual wheels in the back. Does anyone have a tire gauge that they find works well to check the pressure on the inside tires? The one we have isn't designed to work well for this purpose, as it's too short.
ttowntrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Tire-G.../dp/B008B9X6HQ

Works for me.

Ken
Old 09-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntrouble View Post
We just recently got our new class C that has dual wheels in the back. Does anyone have a tire gauge that they find works well to check the pressure on the inside tires? The one we have isn't designed to work well for this purpose, as it's too short.

Have you considered that if you were running a TPMS, which is a good idea in itself, You would not need to be getting down on your knees, and checking tire pressure. Using a TPMS gets the job done in less than a minute.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Have you considered that if you were running a TPMS, which is a good idea in itself, You would not need to be getting down on your knees, and checking tire pressure. Using a TPMS gets the job done in less than a minute.
Just be aware most TPMS sensors turn off after not moving for a while. So the pressure readings you get when you first turn it on before hitting the road will be old/pressure readings from last time you where in motion.

You would have to start moving before you get current pressure readings.

Also TPMS are not near as accurate as a pressure gauge. They are still a valuable tool for the road.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #5

Look on Amazon for valve extenders. There are 5 or so straight ones for the inside tire, and 135 degree curved ones for the outside tire. Metal valve stems for the wheels are a must, rubber ones will fail with the extra weight on them.

Then you can use a normal tire gauge.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:24 AM   #6

The trick to that inside valve stem is to clock the wheels properly for access. Ham hock hands don't help.
My collection of tire pressure tools and gadgets is being considered for a Smithsonian exhibit if they can find a room large enough.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
Look on Amazon for valve extenders. There are 5 or so straight ones for the inside tire, and 135 degree curved ones for the outside tire. Metal valve stems for the wheels are a must, rubber ones will fail with the extra weight on them.

Then you can use a normal tire gauge.

Having had and seen so many extensions cause failures, I would never recommend adding extensions. But I would recommend having extra long valve stems installed. I have 10 valve stems on the inside duals pointed out through through the wheel. My electronic digital gauge works well on all wheels.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #8

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...-wheels-dlsss/

Here’s what I use to stabilize the extension
Old 09-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #9

Get the extenders installed on your duals and checking pressure is simple. I have had them on all my campers dating back to my 1987 Toyota based Class C. Never had a failure and never had a problem with any tire gauge. TPMS is not the answer for checking and setting correct tire pressures. It only helps with slow leaks.
RetiredbutWorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
This is the highest quality, most accurate gauge on the market

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-506-...2862484&sr=8-5
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #11

I carried one like this for thirty years driving a commercial truck and it's still in great shape.

https://www.iowa80.com/pd/dual-foot-...-chuck/163328/

Old 09-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Pressure Gauge

Actually Id say normally its its the outside tire that points to the Inside .. the inside tire is easy it points out
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:48 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is the one that I use:

Milton s-986C Calibratable Tire Pressure Service Gauge, Dual Head Straight Foot Chuck, 10-160 PSI

Available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Milton-Indust...omotive&sr=1-8

Although it's a little more expensive than some, it's still reasonably priced. One nice feature is that you can adjust the calibration to give a more accurate reading.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-29-2021, 07:58 PM   #14

@TXiceman, @Crabby97439 and @777 Driver,
This type looks like it would work great. We have one of the ones with a flexible "hose", but it's impossible to get it lined up properly.

@Tireman9,
The unit has a TPMS, but I'm kind of a "measure twice, cut once" type of person. I'm more old school, and like a physical confirmation.

@Mac99,
That looks like a good solution for both checking and filling. Definitely going to check it out further.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I think I can make any of these work. Appreciate it!
ttowntrouble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure