Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #15

Lots of $$

My tire shop wants about $500.00 to replace the rubber stems on my 2014 CRV with metal. This is because each stem has a sender as part of its original tire pressure system assembly. Guess I will just keep towing without a TPMS on the toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I have also run the TST system in the past with my TT. One of my first purchases on my new to me Class A is a TST system, but I'm waiting to make sure the screw on sensors will fit on the stems or if I need to get the internal sensors for it. The TST systems can handle 20+ wheels and come with a signal repeater to ensure signal quality on a trailer and the wheels all the way back of a 40+ ft Class A.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:13 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder
My tire shop wants about $500.00 to replace the rubber stems on my 2014 CRV with metal. This is because each stem has a sender as part of its original tire pressure system assembly. Guess I will just keep towing without a TPMS on the toad.
Yes, the OEM TPMS is part of the valve stem usually, but check it out for yourself. Most of them screw on to the bottom of the valve stem to reduce the cost when the valve stem needs replaced.

Regardless, it's not necessarily a showstopper. I tow my Equinox with the TST 507 cap sensors screwed on to the original rubber valve stems. The sensors weigh 0.6 ounces. The stems are fairly thick and I install the sensors before a trip and remove them at the final destination. I've got over 5,000 miles on them towing.

A friend full times and does the same with his Equinox but he never takes the sensors off ever. I think they stick out too far but he's OK with it. He's been full time over a year and has towed over 10,000 miles plus whatever he's driven the car besides.

I don't want to be this guy if the toad gets a flat: https://www.motor1.com/news/450203/c...rk-damaged-rv/

I think trailer tire valve stems are flimsier than a car.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 01-08-2022, 06:58 AM   #18

Sensors?

I recently bought a used tow vehicle and it came with TPMS sensors already on the tires, but system wasn't included. Is there a way to figure out which monitoring system they will work on? I don't see any brand name on them. Just thinking it would be cool if I could just purchase a 6 sensor TPMS for the motorhome and use the existing sensors on my tow.

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Buddy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
I may be missing something but, since your MH is already monitored, why not install a TPMS just for the toad?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #20

I need to clarify

My motorhome does not have a factory installed TPMS. I use a TST 507 with 6 cap sensors on the metal valve stems. My toad does have a factory TPMS but it does me no good if I am not in the car. As many here do, I just want to add 4 cap sensors to toad and monitor those on my current TST 507 display in the motorhome (it is very common to do it in this manner) That said there has always been discussion if it is wise to mount the cap sensors on rubber valve stems as the centrifugal force of the tires spinning with the weight of the cap on the end of the valve might cause the valve to fail.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
My motorhome does not have a factory installed TPMS. I use a TST 507 with 6 cap sensors on the metal valve stems. My toad does have a factory TPMS but it does me no good if I am not in the car. As many here do, I just want to add 4 cap sensors to toad and monitor those on my current TST 507 display in the motorhome (it is very common to do it in this manner) That said there has always been discussion if it is wise to mount the cap sensors on rubber valve stems as the centrifugal force of the tires spinning with the weight of the cap on the end of the valve might cause the valve to fail.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
We had rubber stems on our 30’ TT and I never had an issue in 3 years of towing it. Just keep an eye on the stems as you should anyway.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:22 PM   #22

I'm pretty sure the rubber valve stems on your CRV are too short to be a problem. Just put sensors on them and monitor them via your TST 507.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I'm pretty sure the rubber valve stems on your CRV are too short to be a problem. Just put sensors on them and monitor them via your TST 507.
I should add that the discussions I've read about metal valve stems has related to all-metal "extended valve stems" on MHs instead of flexible "valve stem extensions", not the standard valve stems on toads.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:41 AM   #24
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam
I should add that the discussions I've read about metal valve stems has related to all-metal "extended valve stems" on MHs instead of flexible "valve stem extensions", not the standard valve stems on toads.
I've read several from people who got flats from cracked rubber valve stems on vehicles and trailers, a few in as little as a thousand miles. When I used a dolly I immediately changed the valve stems to all metal. Those things felt flimsy and that 12" wheel spun at twice the RPM of the motorhome tires as I recall.

Of course, the correct answer once again is "It depends." It depends on the age, length, and construction of the valve stem. It depends on the wheel size because the smaller the wheel, the faster it spins for a given distance. It depends on the weight of the TPMS sensor. The longer flow-through sensors are heavier and will impart more bending to the valve stem. And different TPMS manufacturers sensors will have different weights.

Even the same model sensor can change weight as the product evolves. When the TST 507 cap sensor included that spinning anti-theft cap it weighed a lot more than the current cap sensors that do not have it anymore.

Ray
Old 01-10-2022, 04:17 AM   #25

I have a similar system I bought on Amazon. It's ok, but sometimes one or two tires are very slow to update with tire pressure. I wonder if it would respond fast enough to prevent the tire from tearing apart and damaging my trailer if I had a blowout. I do have the signal amplifier so I'm not quite sure why that is. Also, I find the display very difficult to read sometimes. Its pretty convenient for never having to measure my tire pressure, but it does not start reading until you actually start rolling the tires. I use the old trucker trick of smacking my tires with a hammer and listening to the thunk to make sure the tires are not obviously under inflated before I take off. Then when the TPMS starts reading I can make sure they are up to normal pressure.

I recently bought a new system with a better display. It does not have the little solar panel. I'll see how that one works.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an "all in one" system that I use on my Toad and trailer (I just move the sensors). I use the RVI system, I like that it is my braking system, TPMS, and has my check list built in to. With it I can monitor all the tires on my MH and Toad, it is just more convenient to have one monitor that multiple screens to look at while driving down the road.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #27

Safe tireguard system

Looking for used system or wheel sensors
Macdojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #28

Dose anyone have experience with the FX Pressure pro system? It is app based, and uses your devise as the display. I have a brand new set up with 12 sensors that's never been opened. When I bought my DP I ordered that system not knowing it was app based and did not have a display, anyway I decided to keep it. Before I install it or decide to sell it I would like any available feedback.

https://tirepressuremonitor.com/pressurepro-fx/

Tags
monitor, tire, tire pressure, tpms