Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) --- Great add-on

With the seriousness of proper tire pressure, load capacities, etc, I'm surprised that RVs don't come standard with a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS). After having multiple RVs for the last 4 years, I have learned the importance of proper tires and tire pressure. I have also had multiple times when tire pressure went low (due to a nail) and also multiple times when the rear inner dually tire was flat and very hard to notice (before installing a TPMS).

Thankfully, I haven't had a blowout that resulted in steel belts of the failing tire thrashed underneath the RV doing lots of damage (which I hear is not uncommon).

I wanted to share with all of you just how easy and inexpensive it can be to add this feature to your RV.

Here's the one I choose and installed in each of my 3 RVs...

(...looks like I need to adjust a couple of tires and their pressure)

You can find it on Amazon for less than $80 and it takes less than 5 minutes to install:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Plenty of others to choose from, this is just the one I selected)

It has a small solar panel on the top of it, so when it sits on your dashboard it stays charged. It only turns on when it feels vibration/movement (or you manually turn it on). To install, you simply screw each cap on your 6 tires (in proper order). I didn't bother with the locking mechanism as I don't believe people are looking to steal these items.

Gives me great comfort being able to know my tire pressure at a quick glance. There is an alarm that beeps to warn you if the tire pressure drops below a preset amount. Safety first! If you don't have such a monitor on your RV I highly recommend it.

Happy (and safe) Camping!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the post. Many of us have TPMS and wouldn't be without it. A lot of the newer chassis manufacturers are including built in TPMS as standard, but those without it definitely need it.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #3

TPMS is a valuable tool to monitor your tires going down the road.

But caution, they are not "super accurate" and may display a pressure a 1 to 2 pounds off of actual. Trust the actual pressure gauge you use when filling the tires (with the tires cool to the touch), then look at the TPMS and consider that your "baseline" pressure, the various TPMS readings may not match exactly.

You will notice pressure changes going down the road, the heat just from driving will increase pressure, tires in the sun will be a bit higher, you'll also notice inside vs outside tires will heat up at differnt rates so their pressures will vary too while driving. This is all expected, the tires are designed for it.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like that model will only monitor up to 6 tires. I want to monitor my toad tires also, so needed 10 sensors.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Looks like that model will only monitor up to 6 tires. I want to monitor my toad tires also, so needed 10 sensors.
I have this one, it can monitor up to 22 tires:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08176BXP6?th=1&psc=1

I chose the 12 tire unit so I could put one on my truck spare tire and one on the trailer spare tire. You can buy additional sensors later on.

Likes: Works well. Can turn the trailer on/off. Can set differnt tire pressure/temperature settings per axle. Automatically switches to a tire that is outside of set limits and sounds an alarm.

Dislikes: Instruction pamplet is junk and sometimes wrong (bad English translation) Display is small, not bright enough, hard to read on sunny days especially with sun glasses (even when mounted in a shadedy spot), only shows the pressure/temperature of one tire at time.

I used to use the one OP has, REALLLY liked how it shows the pressure of all six tires all the time, easy to see in the sun. I've not found a TPMS that will show 10 tire pressures all at once.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #6

Iím shopping for one of these now. Seems batteries donít last very long in the sensors? All the reviews seem about the same for all of these.

Any particular one better than the rest?

Also, does this add any risk? Another mode of failure perhaps from the cap leaking?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Iím shopping for one of these now. Seems batteries donít last very long in the sensors? All the reviews seem about the same for all of these.

Also, does this add any risk? Another mode of failure perhaps from the cap leaking?
I've been running the TST 507 Series 4 RV Cap Sensor TPMS System with Color Display and Repeater on my fifth wheel for the past four years and about 30K miles. It has saved (warned) me four times. The sensor batteries have never failed, I just did finally replace all four of them as a preventative measure.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:54 PM   #8

I've been using Pressure Pro for 10+ years
Old 01-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
NXR

The cap sensors in my TST 507 last about two years. They use the regular CR2032 battery and can be changed easily. The system is supposed to warn you when the batteries need changed but after two years it had not yet alerted of that. The ten batteries I took out were all at 3.0 VDC while the new CR2032's were at 3.3 VDC.

Ray
Old 01-04-2022, 08:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post

I have the 507 flow through sensors, every year prior to going on our first trip I pull the sensors and check the batteries with a multimeter to see if they need replacing. According to the video by TST the monitor will show a low battery voltage. The only leak that I have found is when I didn't make sure the cap of the sensor wasn't put on right
Old 01-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #11

Toad Sensors

Do you guys think it is ok to put the TST 507 non flow thru cap sensors on the rubber stems of my CRV or do the stems need to be swapped out for metal stems?
Old 01-04-2022, 09:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
BLUF: I'd go Steel valve stems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
Do you guys think it is ok to put the TST 507 non flow thru cap sensors on the rubber stems of my CRV or do the stems need to be swapped out for metal stems?
I have short rubber stems on my 2000 Blazer ZR2, but the mag wheels support then so they do not wiggle much. Before I had a chance to think about the extra weight of the sensor on a spinning wheel with rubber valve stems, I had thousands of towed miles on that toad. I HAD rubber stems on my Haulmark trailer steel wheels and one of them separated after about 30 miles. Lost the valve stem, the sensor, the tire and its mate. Cha-CHING!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
I have one of these on the Dutch star:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VMNL558
it works great, even without a repeater, for the 6 coach tires and one spare. The only issue I have with it is that it's rather hard to read.
When selecting a system for the Marlin, I got the EEZTire TPMS10. It is the biggest turd I think I've ever seen. I paired the sensors just fine, but after going to sleep and then waking back up, it never saw them again - even if I unscrewed the sensor and held it right next to the display. If I repaired all of the sensors, it would then see them - until the display went to sleep again. I sent it back.
I replaced it with a TireMinder i10 system. It works like a charm. It sees all of the sensors, even without the repeater hooked up. It's display is easy to read.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post

Here's the one I choose and installed in each of my 3 RVs...
Last year, I got one from Amazon that is almost exactly the same as this one. I was a bit worried about it being so inexpensive, but so far it's worked perfectly. We store indoors, so the battery gets a bit low and the solar panel doesn't work when we are camped with our windshield cover on, but it has a charge plug (micro USB, I believe), so I plugged it in and charged it fully twice over the season, just to be sure it was good to go.

No complaints so far!

I did have the Borg metal valve stems installed before installing the TPMS sensors. I didn't want to chance any issues with the flexible ones that were already there, and I found it impossible to install the sensor on the outside dually due to VERY tight clearances with the OEM stems. Those Borg ones are worth their weight in gold, I tell you hwat!

Tags
monitor, tire, tire pressure, tpms