Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
Dom

Tire pressure monitoring

I just bought a 2017 Jeep Wrangler, which has TPMS. Does anyone know if there is a way to use Jeep tire sensors on a monitoring system in the RV?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #2

Following
Old 06-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I just bought a 2017 Jeep Wrangler, which has TPMS. Does anyone know if there is a way to use Jeep tire sensors on a monitoring system in the RV?
From my research no. Each TPMS requires their own sensors.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Following
???????
Old 06-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

I do not believe there is any way to monitor a auto's factory installed system in the rv. You have to purchase a stand alone system and add it to the vehicles valve stems. Also make sure the vehilce has steel valve stems, not the rubber ones when you add the senders. I use the TST color monitor system.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #6

I do not know of any way to tie the two together. My TST uses its own sensors and the tire tracker I had before that did the same.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighit View Post
I do not believe there is any way to monitor a auto's factory installed system in the rv. You have to purchase a stand alone system and add it to the vehicles valve stems.
Correct, two totally different systems because each vehicle manufacturer does their own thing.

Quote:
Also make sure the vehicle has steel valve stems, not the rubber ones when you add the senders. I use the TST color monitor system.
While a good suggestion for an RV, a trailer, or a dolly, changing the rubber valve stems to metal is rarely possible on a car or truck. Almost all of the car TPMS systems I've seen have the car's TPMS sensor integrated with the valve stem.

I add the TPMS sensors to the car tires before we leave for a campground and remove them upon arrival. I have friends that just leave them in place all the time, though. The new TST 507 cap sensors (new a year ago) weigh 0.6 ounces. With the larger tires on a car or truck the rotational velocity of the TPMS sensor is less than that of a much smaller trailer tire so the risk should be lower if you leave them in place.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhyTakeAChance.PNG
Views:	48
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	291115  
Old 06-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Correct, two totally different systems because each vehicle manufacturer does their own thing.

While a good suggestion for an RV, a trailer, or a dolly, changing the rubber valve stems to metal is rarely possible on a car or truck. Almost all of the car TPMS systems I've seen have the car's TPMS sensor integrated with the valve stem.

I add the TPMS sensors to the car tires before we leave for a campground and remove them upon arrival. I have friends that just leave them in place all the time, though. The new TST 507 cap sensors (new a year ago) weigh 0.6 ounces. With the larger tires on a car or truck the rotational velocity of the TPMS sensor is less than that of a much smaller trailer tire so the risk should be lower if you leave them in place.

Ray
Why would you not want to leave them on the tire what's the risk?
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
Why would you not want to leave them on the tire what's the risk?
Putting a weight (the TPMS sensor) on the end of a rubber lever (the valve stem) and spinning the wheel at high speed will flex the valve stem. Some people say they've left them on for years with no problems, others have reported leaks at the valve stem. I'd rather reduce the risk of my tire air loss monitoring system causing the air loss.

Ray
Old 06-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #10

Thart was why I suggested switching out the rubber stems for the steel ones, no flexing and the rubber cracking causing leaks. I have a set of senders on my tow car and they have been on there for 5 years, only removed to change or add air pressure. My tow car had steel stems. Taking them on and off seems like a waste of time to me, but everyone has a different view on things.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:45 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighit View Post
That was why I suggested switching out the rubber stems for the steel ones, no flexing and the rubber cracking causing leaks. I have a set of senders on my tow car and they have been on there for 5 years, only removed to change or add air pressure. My tow car had steel stems. Taking them on and off seems like a waste of time to me, but everyone has a different view on things.
Where are the factory TPMS sensors for your car? Mine are part of the valve stem and while it looks like a metal one may be available, they're $50 apiece. For $200 plus labor I can spend five minutes taking them off and putting them on at a campground if we're going to be there a while.

I did have the valve stems on my dolly replaced with metal ones, though.

Ray
Old 06-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Car sensors and every TPMS I know of are not compatible. If you have TPMS already you can get sensors for the Toad that will work with your system. My Wrangler has factory sensors. I just added cap sensors to my TST507 system. I already had metal valve stems. If you don't have them I would suggest replacing with them.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:43 PM   #13

My Cadillac SRX has the tire monitor system built into the tire, but i added the TST senders to monitor the tires when i'm in the motorhome. So actually the Cadillac has two systems reading independently
Old 07-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
???????

I'm interested in this subject, but have no knowledge to share. "Following" keeps me subscribed and I get updates as posts come in.

Tags
monitor, tire pressure