RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

TireMinder TPMS - Accuracy/Calibration

I've got the TireMinder 1A1 system in our coach with 6 sensors. This will be our third summer season with the system.

The first year I was quite pleased. The system worked well and all the tires were being reported as within 1-2 psi of what my mechanical gauge showed. Verified the pressure with a secondary mechanical gauge to be sure.

The second year the system seemed to work well, but for some reason all 6 tires consistently showed 6-7 psi above what the same mechanical gauge(s) showed. I checked the manual, and there is was explained that tire gauges have a 2-3% variance rate, and the same for the TMPS sensors. So, it explained, a difference of 5-6% would still be within specs.

The tire pressures shown in the TireMinder system were consistent, and as temperature changed all 6 varied equally up or down. I wasn't too concerned, since consistency is more important than spot on accuracy. (I'm more interested in change up or down than in what the actual number shows.)

This year, the trend has continued. I pulled the system off in the fall since the coach was being stored outdoors over the winter. Before turning anything on, I installed new batteries all around, and charged the head unit.

I have checked the pressure in all 6 tires with my mechanical gauges. Rear all are spot on at 90psi, and front are at 100psi. Turned on the TireMinder system, and this year they are all showing a pressure 10 psi higher than the mechanical gauge. The error has increased again this year.

Do sensors just all go bad over a few years? If it were just one I'd understand, but to have all 6 do this evenly doesn't make sense (especially showing a higher pressure that actual.)

Anyone have any clue what's going on? Any idea how to correct this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #2

Sounds to me like I would get a new manual tire pressure gauge
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Sounds to me like I would get a new manual tire pressure gauge
Not sure what would be your reason to draw that conclusion.

The same two gauges have been used during all this, from the beginning of this to the current 10psi error. One of the gauges is a TireMinder gauge, and the other is a Milton. Both read the same.

When I first started this in 2017 the two gauges and the TireMinder read within 1-2psi of each other. The two gauges have stayed the same as each other, but the TireMinder has drifted up. Last summer 6-7psi higher than the gauges, and this year 10psi.

Out of the three, two have stayed consistent. The outlier is the TireMinder TPMS.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

Could try resetting the entire system.

https://www.minderresearch.com/how-d...my-tireminder/
Old 04-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #5

That was on my list of options. Still hoping to try and understand how this happens. Doesn't seem like it should drift like this.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #6

I didn't catch that you had compared the manual gauge to another manual gauge.
I was was looking for a commonality and the gauge is the least expensive to replace.
The other possibility would be the control panel of the tire minder system developing problems.
I doubt very much that all 6 sending units are failing exactly the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Not sure what would be your reason to draw that conclusion.

The same two gauges have been used during all this, from the beginning of this to the current 10psi error. One of the gauges is a TireMinder gauge, and the other is a Milton. Both read the same.

When I first started this in 2017 the two gauges and the TireMinder read within 1-2psi of each other. The two gauges have stayed the same as each other, but the TireMinder has drifted up. Last summer 6-7psi higher than the gauges, and this year 10psi.

Out of the three, two have stayed consistent. The outlier is the TireMinder TPMS.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just purchased a Tireminder system and set it up with all sensors showing 1 to 2 psi difference to my manual pressure gauge. I can't see how the head unit could be the culprit. Possible that all the sending units get affected by heat and vibrations to the point that they loose their accuracy, hope not. That means hundreds of dollars every few years to replace those little buggars.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #8

Buy a new sensor and see what it reads.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:15 AM   #9

Mine all read 5-6 PSI high compared to a manual gauge *and* a digital gauge that agree with each other. I just set the target pressures to 5 PSI higher than actual so the alarms should go off at the right times and mostly forgot about it (shrug).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Mine all read 5-6 PSI high compared to a manual gauge *and* a digital gauge that agree with each other. I just set the target pressures to 5 PSI higher than actual so the alarms should go off at the right times and mostly forgot about it (shrug).
If you've had the system more than one season, have you seen the amount of error change or increase over time?
Old 04-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If you've had the system more than one season, have you seen the amount of error change or increase over time?

Just installed it this season. Gander Outdoors had an insanely good deal on it, along with some other stuff we got. But now I know I should keep an eye on it.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #12

I would contact TireMinder and ask them, they have always provided great customer service.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

I had a tireminder for 7 years. It started real good but over the years it started giving strange readings and not being consistant. So 2 years ago I replaced it with a TST507. Works well and reads VERY close to my digital gauge.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I am 3 years in with TireMinder and it will be my last. I have some high readings as described above and also too many sensor errors and false readings. I have reset and moved sensors and changed sensors without resolving problems. Leaning toward TST, taking my time review everything first.

Tags
tpms