Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I've never, ever heard that before. Anyone else with experience on this?
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/09...on-fluid-fuel/
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWallace View Post
I am new to the DP world, I am working on building a tool set to leave on the coach all the time. I like things organized and neat. What are some suggestions on tool storage and must have tools to keep on board. Right now I have a spare set of filters and belts, extra oil, coolant, trans fluid.

For tools I am thinking, multi meter, tester light, adjustable wrenches, socket set, screw driver set, zip ties, tape. I know this could easily get out of hand. Looking for real world experience and advise.

Thanks
From a few years ago - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/too...em-466822.html

Some. good Ideas and Great Pic's.

I am a Tool nut - electrical is a big deal for me - along with a small drill and Impact gun.

biggest issue is usually being able to find them - and then all the parts needed for the repairs - a lot will depend on your FYI level.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #17

Since I am a TT versus MH owner, I have a tote in bed of truck with most of my tools. I have a "complete" 1/4" and 3/8" socket set in it's on organized case that includes a wide assortment of nutdrivers/screwdrivers and Allen/Hexhead wrenches. Additionally, I have tossed in pliers, wire cutters, wire strippers, channel locks, and vice grip pliers. Probably a set of needle nose in there. I also have a 1/2" breaker bar with a few 1/2" sockets, and adapters to allow me to pretty much use any size socket on any size ratchet.

I have ratchet straps, zipties, electrical tape, wire nuts, and a variety of various items that could be useful. Don't underestimate the uses for ratchet straps, you may just find it is a way to secure a part that is falling off your rig until a permanent repair can be made. Limping home may beat stuck on the side of the road.

My truck gets used for multiple requirements, many not associated with the RV life, so my tool selection may be much more varied. Right now, I have a battery charger, a long extension cord, moving blankets and a large box of contractor trash bags in the bed of my truck, along with a camping chair so I have a place to get off my feet during a long day of work.

I also keep a few extra items for the trailer, a spare hitch pin, spare cotter pins for the various items on the WDH, and fuses of at least 2-3 different styles.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:44 AM   #18

I run a qt of 2 cycle engine oil in every tank. It's about half the price of ATF and burns better. I use the house brand at WM.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #19

If you are preparing to change fuel filters, you may want to carry an empty container into which you can drain the dirty fuel from the filter housing. I use an old windshield washer fluid bottle. Nitrile gloves and heavy duty trash bags are helpful too. I like to open and spread the bag on the ground. That way I can pitch all the old stuff straight in, along with the wrappers from the new stuff, meanwhile never dripping a drop onto the ground.

I've heard the transmission fluid thing somewhere, but that isn't for me. Justrite makes a 2 gallon class II diesel can that is relatively compact. We've been carrying one around for 9 years without a leak so far.

Another vote for any type of flashlight that can stand on its own, and a headlamp. I love my helper(s) dearly, but sometimes a wandering source of illumination can only add to the frustration of a repair.

My two cents on tool storage: I've seen some beautifully engineered built in tool storage posted by forum members. Unfortunately for me, I'm not always smart enough to make the right tool selection on the first, or even the second or third trip to the toolbox. For me a portable plastic toolbox is the only way to go. Portable for the reason already stated, plastic so it won't rust and it is less apt to do damage if I accidentally bang into the RV with it, inside or out.

While I'm rambling, before purchasing what may be poor quality imported tools to fill out your RV tool chest, consider checking estate sales near you. I found out the hard way that stuff sells dirt cheap at estate sales, and that good hand tools are often overlooked.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #20
tcg

I bought a Kobalt (Lowes brand) 230 piece toolkit that comes with a zippered bag for around 200 bucks. It's a bit hard to find the tool you need in the bag but I rarely need to use the tools. It fits nice in an outside compartment or under the bed.

I keep common tools like screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, etc... in a kitchen drawer.

This past summer a camper pulled out and left the tongue jack down, when it hit the concrete it jammed it in a way that it could no longer be put up.

It was bolted and welded so normal tools wouldn't remove it. The only option left was a sawzall. A nearby camper had a complete set of cordless tools with a sawzall.

Something to consider. What's the old saying?

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I also carry a cordless drill and impact driver but as soon as I see a sazall on sale I'm picking one up.

I also carry some basic plumbing and electrical supplies. A couple years ago one of the main wires feeding the ac panel got loose and arched burning some wires. We were on vacation and I didn't want to cut it short so I rewired most of the panel that evening. On a side note... check those wires and make sure the lugs are tight.

Because of that I also carry various wire, wire nuts, butt connectors, etc...
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Upside to oil for an empty filter, no froth or foam to push thru injectors, pump picks up prime immediately.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #22

Add a pair of disposable (usually Tyvek) overalls to all of the good suggestions above.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #23

besides lots of assorted tools I have this set that I like. It has allot more then just sockets, and the quality seems descent.

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-Prof...2-290406ffe53a
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #24

Prior to going full time I did a bunch of what-iffing, and put together a tool set to cover what I thought would be the most common type of repairs. I've always done all my own maintenance and repairs for my home and vehicles. Been on the road a little over a year and a half and have concluded, I'm way over tooled. 99% of the time I've grab the same few tools. Along with a three drawer tool box I have a fairly inexpensive all in one set in a case, that has taken care of the vast majority of my needs. Most of my tools in my drawered tool box have never seen the light of day since we left home.

What has been used the most is my 1/4-3/8-1/2" socket set, crescent wrenches, pliers, a few screw drivers, wire cutter/strippers, crimpers, and my cordless drill with assorted bits and a grease gun. A basic handyman's tool set that could fit in a regular tool bag.

That's driving a 24 year old rig, with a 15 year old motorcycle on the back, and a 9 year old car in tow. I haven't encountered anything that hasn't been fixable with the basic set, and only twice have needed to go to a hardware store to buy a tool for a special job - i.e. a large socket for swapping out shocks - that I didn't have anyway.

The bigger restriction has been a place to do the work. Had to have the parking brake shoes on the Honda replaced at a shop because campgrounds wouldn't allow me to pull the rear wheels on the car and work on the brakes. I do my own oil changes and servicing on the rig, but have to time it so I can be in a place that allows it. I'm meticulous when I do the service, leaving the spot as I found it, but still, I'm limited as most places won't allow working on a rig unless it's done by a mobile service company. Even though I've always done it myself in the past, oil changes for the car have been done via a local quick-lube while on the road.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage