Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #1

Tool Storage and must haves?

I am new to the DP world, I am working on building a tool set to leave on the coach all the time. I like things organized and neat. What are some suggestions on tool storage and must have tools to keep on board. Right now I have a spare set of filters and belts, extra oil, coolant, trans fluid.

For tools I am thinking, multi meter, tester light, adjustable wrenches, socket set, screw driver set, zip ties, tape. I know this could easily get out of hand. Looking for real world experience and advise.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 09:47 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What are you planning to use it for? Are you going to be gone months at a time, go full time, or just the occasional weekend? What can you fix on your rig while you are out with it?

I would say to carry what fits your comfort level and take stock each year to see what was useful, and what was just taking up space at the end of the season. I used to carry a mechanics tool set, extra consumables and fluids and a bunch of other stuff. I realized that very few of those things would be something that could get me home, and also that it can wait until I get home to deal with it. Now I carry a small tool set that fits into a drawer. If I can't fix something with that, then I can't fix it when I'm out. For anything else I have on the rig, I consider how easy it is to get on the road. Oil and other fluids are everywhere, no need to carry them. A belt breaking is a show stopper though, and might not be readily available, so I carry a spare. An electrical tester might be a good add, but I think it would sit unused in my rig. If something goes out, do I want to try to figure out what while I'm out? How likely is it that I both need it and can fix it on the road?
Old 01-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #3

Add hose washers to your list. Seems like I'm always changing those or giving one to someone that needs it. Fuses is another one I like to have on hand. Everything is LED now but I used to have a spare bulb or 2 also. The list does get out of hand quickly. I like to be prepared but you can only carry so much. I like to have a small saw on hand and a razor knife.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

I bought some assorted cheap Harbor Freight tools to carry. It's unlikely I will use them much if at all, so no need to spend lots on them. I bought a VOM, a few hose clamps, Gorilla tape, screwdrivers, a small tube of JB Weld, combo wrench set, 3/8" drive socket set, small, med and lrg adjustable wrenches, a hammer, electrical tape, a wire cutter/stripper, each belt that the coach runs, zipties, and a few assorted things more. I have them all in a DeWalt plastic tool box from Home Depot. I just need enough to get the slides in, or the coach moving to limp it to a nearby service center if necessary. I also have spare fuel filters, a filter wrench, and a small container of diesel to prefill the fuel filter if I need to change it on the road. From what I hear this is far more comon than most know. That's about it.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't really add to what others have said, but I would caution you about trying to carry everything you will ever need! It's very easy to keep adding to the list, saying "I may need that sometime.". GUILTY!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:03 PM   #6

Great ideas, I have extra fuel filters but did not think about a small jug of diesel.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #7

I don't see channel locks on the list, and I think a pair of vice grips have untold uses. I once used vice grips on a battery clamp on my car when the clamping bolt broke, in order to drive to the parts store for a repair part.

Many of the various items on a trailer, not sure about a MH, have the ability to be driven by a drill with attachment if the motor fails. I stock a battery powered driver and a few special tools to drive those motors manually in a pinch. On my popup, it was required for the leveling jacks pretty much, but when a relay on the lift motor went out, I used it to raise the popup.

Duct tape and zip ties are a no brainer. We probably all also carry at least one flashlight with us besides the flashlight APP on our phones.

Of course, sometimes a working phone with internet service may be your best friend, so you can post here a question for how do I do this? Might even get lucky and find a member close by with just the right tool or expertise to salvage your trip.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I don't see channel locks on the list, and I think a pair of vice grips have untold uses. I once used vice grips on a battery clamp on my car when the clamping bolt broke, in order to drive to the parts store for a repair part.

Many of the various items on a trailer, not sure about a MH, have the ability to be driven by a drill with attachment if the motor fails. I stock a battery powered driver and a few special tools to drive those motors manually in a pinch. On my popup, it was required for the leveling jacks pretty much, but when a relay on the lift motor went out, I used it to raise the popup.

Duct tape and zip ties are a no brainer. We probably all also carry at least one flashlight with us besides the flashlight APP on our phones.

Of course, sometimes a working phone with internet service may be your best friend, so you can post here a question for how do I do this? Might even get lucky and find a member close by with just the right tool or expertise to salvage your trip.
Speaking of flashlights.....if you don't currently have a "big Larry" you should order one immediately haha. I have 3 and couldn't live without them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nebo-6306-Big-Larry-400-lumen-grey-color-Flashlight-COB-LED-Magnetic-Worklight-/153891281386?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46 890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Some sort of code reader for that Series 60 in case a fault code pops up will be worth it's weight in gold.

You probably will never need it but if you do................
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #10

Might want to vac-um- pak those belts and filters so they stay fresh. From living on the coach for about three years ,a 1/2" & 3/8 drive set with just the sockets I need, Meter , wrench set 1/4 to 1" ,less those that never get used. 11/13" etc... wire cutters, adjustable wrench, pilers, drill bits, cordless 1/2 drill, hack saw , handsaw, hammers, beach mat ,to lay on , good trouble light . If it's on the coach and not used it get questioned as to will I use it. Figure what you can fix and what you need.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:23 PM   #11

I like the advice so far. I have an older coach that needed work when I bought it. The tools I carry are mostly things that I have already needed at least once. And their friends. You don't bring one wrench, you pack a set. As you go you'll figure out what you are missing and what you thought was a good idea that can be left at home.
One thing I haven't is a big wrench to manually bring the slides in. Or whatever your particular setup requires. I had a slide fail "out" one time and really struggled with it. I did get it but next time out I had a wrench the exact size I needed just for that in case it ever happened again. Some tools I move back and forth but that one stays onboard. Period.

If I had a diesel coach (instead of a diesel pickup) I would carry filters too. But no diesel. Instead the cheapest automatic transmission fluid I can find. Usually "Dexron III". Fill the filter with it instead of messing with fuel. All but the very newest diesels love transmission fluid. Not only does it burn well, it has detergents in it that actually clean the inside of the pump and injectors a little as it goes through. I knew a transmission shop owner that ran his personal diesel pickup for years on nothing but the old used (filtered) transmission fluid from the shop.

Diesel works fine but transmission fluid comes in nice sealed and clean quart bottles.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Instead the cheapest automatic transmission fluid I can find. Usually "Dexron III". Fill the filter with it instead of messing with fuel. All but the very newest diesels love transmission fluid. Not only does it burn well, it has detergents in it that actually clean the inside of the pump and injectors a little as it goes through. I knew a transmission shop owner that ran his personal diesel pickup for years on nothing but the old used (filtered) transmission fluid from the shop.

Diesel works fine but transmission fluid comes in nice sealed and clean quart bottles.
I've never, ever heard that before. Anyone else with experience on this?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing that I overlooked when I first started was where and how to store the tools. You might give that some consideration. I full time and carry a lot of various items and ended up building a full extension slide out where one side holds a "top" tool chest and the other side has full extension 28 inch drawer slides that keeps the other items organized and easy to get to. A lot of it depends on how much you will carry and how often you will need to get to the tools.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #14

The spot that seems like the logical is on the street side on my coach, there is a bay that has a slide out that slides to the curb side. It is not a full slide, so it leaves about 24" on the street side that would be a great spot for a tool box and the other misc. materials. I dont love the fact that it is on the "street" side and if I was broke down on the side of the highway I would be next to traffic getting "things". Then again I think I am overthinking this.

Tags
storage