Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2021, 11:32 PM   #29

I don't think you would even have to have something that could adjust up and down if you have airbags on your truck currently. For example if you had them aired up and it just barely slid underneath, you could then let air out of the bags until the point where it's just taking the weight off on the stand and slide it out that way. My airbag valve stems are the license plate bolts on the rear of my truck.

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #30

Another candidate?

https://beap.gemini.yahoo.com/mbclk?...dOHKET7ZLReQ--

I am trying to figure out how to justify one of these and a place to store it. Got to be a hundred usages for it in the workshop, and relatively cheap. Wife would probably steal it to use on some of her craft projects.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Another candidate?

https://beap.gemini.yahoo.com/mbclk?...dOHKET7ZLReQ--

I am trying to figure out how to justify one of these and a place to store it. Got to be a hundred usages for it in the workshop, and relatively cheap. Wife would probably steal it to use on some of her craft projects.

That is pretty cool and I perhaps the best solution to the OP's question. The larger casters will make it easier to move around too.

Hard to believe they are on sale for $39.99. Better grab one while supplies last!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #32

If you could find a used platform lift truck, that would be pretty nice as well.

Examples

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...RoCowkQAvD_BwE

https://www.grainger.com/category/ma...ategoryIndex=2

New, they are kind of expensive. Used them extensively in toolrooms and machine shops. Might find one at some sort of surplus hardware sale, maybe a government auction?

Again, just tossing these out there, may give someone an idea for some project along these lines.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pretty slick adjustable tables! Not what I'm looking for but I can sure see that they would be useful in many situations!
Old 08-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
This caught my eye and I looked into the ad as it seemed pretty sketchy. A claimed capacity of 300 kilos seemed extremely exaggerated considering the price of about what it costs me to buy four decent casters by themselves. And then I found this video on Youtube about how a guy built one of these in his home shop and realized the entire ad was ripped from the video and cobbled back together as a sale ad. No way this is NOT a ripoff.
Here's the perfectly innocent video:
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
This caught my eye and I looked into the ad as it seemed pretty sketchy. A claimed capacity of 300 kilos seemed extremely exaggerated considering the price of about what it costs me to buy four decent casters by themselves. And then I found this video on Youtube about how a guy built one of these in his home shop and realized the entire ad was ripped from the video and cobbled back together as a sale ad. No way this is NOT a ripoff.
Here's the perfectly innocent video:
Thanks. I thought it was an unbelievable deal. Wouldn't mind making one myself, but I never seem to have time.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #36

Awww, too good to be true. Should have known.

I'm going back to the kid's wagon. Kid's wagon. Smallest & cheapest floor jack from HF inside that. Cargo strap. And Viola, done! Well almost done. Still need to come up with something to balance the hitch on the jack.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post

I'm going back to the kid's wagon. Kid's wagon. Smallest & cheapest floor jack from HF inside that. Cargo strap. And Viola, done! Well almost done. Still need to come up with something to balance the hitch on the jack.
And there's the problem with the floor jack solution.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post

I think it could mock up something from scrap lumber to manage this. Probably use a ratchet strap to secure.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hmmm... This may be the solution for stabilizing the hitch on the floor jack: https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Tek-Tran...91123936&psc=1

You could then build a simple open ended cradle so that you can just use the jack to wheel the hitch over, slide it into the cradle, and drop the hitch. Cradle could be built out of 2x4's and would be "U" shaped (when looking at it from above) to allow the jack/hitch to slide in. Once it is in you lay another 2x4 piece across the open end of the "U" allowing it to support the hitch while you withdraw the jack. Actually, if the transmission adapter disconnects from the jack easily enough you could just drop the whole assembly on the cradle.

This may be a winner. I already own a good floor jack and have spare 2x4's laying around. $76 for the transmission adapter is a pretty cheap solution...
Old 08-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #40
tcg

I don't know how heavy your hitch is but have you considered this thing to make pulling it out easier? If you can handle the weight this would allow you to more easily pull out the hitch and place it on old fashioned furniture dolly that Harbor Freight sells in a couple different sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSO37B0...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The YouTube video shows a guy using it. Skip to about the 1:52 mark.

https://youtu.be/Km2DHgAaWOY?t=113

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch lift.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	339679  
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, I do have that HitchGrip and it definitely has made handling the hitch easier. But it's the weight that is causing my back troubles. Haven't ever weighed the hitch but it is an equalizer and is VERY heavy.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #42

I was looking at the same solution for my WDH. A low lift transmission Jack like Fisher99suggested mounted to a an appropriate dolly like WaterJosh mentioned.

While it was on the truck I was just going to make a bag to go over the WDH head to protect it from dust and dirt while it is on the truck. I was also going to add some reflective material to help make it stand out to other drivers so it didn’t get hit.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
This one is pretty close to what I need:

https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ack-60234.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterjosh View Post
I lower it on to one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...lly-38970.html and roll it under the shelf
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, trailer