Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trailer Hitch Caddie

Seems like somebody must make a trailer hitch caddie of some sorts but all of my searches are turning up empty. What I'm looking for is something kind of like a mechanic's stool on casters but instead of a stool on top it would have a cradle for the trailer hitch. The cradle would sit on top of a hydraulic jack so you could raise and lower the hitch to line it up with the truck's receiver. With the hydrualic lift/cradle you could easily remove and install the hitch without having to break your back. If anybody knows of a source for this, I'd love to hear it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2021, 04:30 AM   #2

Possibly a motor cycle or transmission lift would work. You probably will not use it every day, so you might check out the ones sold by HarborFreight.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:35 AM   #3

Ok, the idea sounds good. However how are you going to store and transport this. Sounds as though it could be quite a heavy item and lifting it onto the truck might be just as bad as the trailer tongue. There is already a jack at the front of the trailer is there not? Maybe I'm missing something. That's very possible.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Trailer Hitch Caddy

I bought a hitch caddy like this to move a 22' utility trailer around my driveway and it worked like a champ. Just make sure to keep the tires aired up or you'll quickly notice the hitch weight!
LennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #5

I am not sure we are all understanding the same request. My understanding is you are looking for something to enable you to slide your hitch into your receiver without breaking your back.

I would also assume you leave this at home, and leave the hitch in the receiver while camping and unhooked from the trailer. I never remove my hitch from the receiver during a trip.

Maybe something like the motorcycle lift or transmission lift would work. I haven't played with one of those.

I am thinking that a special head mounted to a roll-a-round jack might work nicely. The issue is that there are a dozen (ok, maybe a hundred) different WD hitches that are popular with the world of towing. It might require almost a different head for each different WD hitch.

If you do choose to haul it with you, then the result is you also have a roll around jack for emergency purposes on the side of the road. The downside is, I think my light-duty roll around jack weighs more than my WD hitch, so I am still having to lift a lot of weight to lug it around.

I once had to install a couple of motors on a project I was working on in a manufacturing plant. The motors went into a tight spot that a forklift could not access. We were able to use the roll around jack we used for forklift maintenance to maneuver the motors into position, worked great.

Necessity is, after all, the mother of all invention.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, CARYBOSSE has it correctly. I'm not looking to carry the "hitch caddie" with me. Just to use it in the garage to remove and store the hitch while at home and then re-install it into the receiver before leaving on a trip. I've thought about the motorcycle jacks but the ones I've seen are pretty big. I'll keep looking. Just thought that somebody surely had solved this problem already and I just couldn't find the solution. I can't be the only old guy with a bad back out there... Hey, maybe this is my "get rich" idea?
Old 08-09-2021, 09:21 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This one is pretty close to what I need:

https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ack-60234.html
Old 08-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #8

I use a worm gear winch from harbor freight that goes to a pulley in the middle of the header across the garage. Turn winch with drill to lift hitch, move truck, lower onto 4 wheel dolly and done

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterjosh View Post
I use a worm gear winch from harbor freight that goes to a pulley in the middle of the header across the garage. Turn winch with drill to lift hitch, move truck, lower onto 4 wheel dolly and done
Interesting! Elegant in its simplicity! Plus has multiple other uses for getting heavy things into and out of the truck (generator). I'm liking this idea!
Old 08-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
WATERJOSH got me to thinking and now I'm thinking of something like this mounted on the ceiling in the garage. Useful for all kinds of things in addition to managing the hitch:

https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb...rol-60346.html
Old 08-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
WATERJOSH got me to thinking and now I'm thinking of something like this mounted on the ceiling in the garage. Useful for all kinds of things in addition to managing the hitch:

https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb...rol-60346.html
And what do you do with the hitch then? You still need to move it around the garage.

Seems like a simple inexpensive floor jack would do the job.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
And what do you do with the hitch then? You still need to move it around the garage.

Seems like a simple inexpensive floor jack would do the job.
I lower it on to one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...lly-38970.html and roll it under the shelf

Old 08-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #13

Where do you park your trailer? Just leave the hitch on the trailer. Pull the receiver pin and pull forward. It's right where you need it for next time.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Where do you park your trailer? Just leave the hitch on the trailer. Pull the receiver pin and pull forward. It's right where you need it for next time.
I have a pullrite superglide and so it's stupid heavy. Also I have a 4 year old and worry about him somehow having it fall off onto him.

Tags
hitch, trailer