RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #1

Travel Tablet?

So I am thinking of adding some technology to my traveling and dont think a standard GPS will fill my wants and desires.

I want to be able to...

1. Navigate, plan routes, look for side trips to sights, etc.

2. Monitor my tow vehicle via an OBDII blue tooth app called TORQUE, things like transmission fluid, oil and coolant temps to a degree, not relying on idiot lights or OEM gauges.

3. Find BLM lands for boon docking, find RV campsites/Walmarts along my route.

So looking for recommendations on apps, maps, devices, set ups...

Specifically looking at a tablet based application but maybe a Tough Book laptop as well. Mounted on a swivel in a cup holder mount like this.

So lets see how you get around.
Capt Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #2

For number one, I use my Garman 780 GPS while driving and my Asus 17 inch laptop the night before.

For number two, I just use the gauges on my GMC 2500 Duramax.

For number three, since I'm a boondocker this one is especially important. I use my laptop to figure all that out before I start driving. My favorite way to find boondocking areas is the Escapees Days End list that keeps an up-to-date list of boondocking areas Escapees members have used all across the country.

I try not to have too many gadgets in the truck that I have to look at. I'm the opposite of a multitasker.... I can barely do one thing at a time.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

We use the Garmin RV760 for navigation. I have a Scan Gauge configured for all of the engine parameters I care to watch. We travel with iPads and Cell Phones, along with at least one laptop.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #4

I have a Samsung Tab S2 8" Tablet, wifi only. SM-T713, Got it on fleabay for $100.

Perfect condition, with factory charger and a flip case. Battery lasts a long time its 4000mAh. Came with 3gb memory, 32 gb storage and I added a 250 gb card for additional storage.
I use Tq app when its in the JK as I have a LS.

I have tons of other apps inc Mountain Directory, RV parky, onX offroad, ups toyo maps plus netflex etc. Still have 190gb of storage available thats even loading the western stats maps for off line viewing.

GPS is built in plus all the std Sansung apps.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #5

I have a Samsung 10" wi-fi tablet with RVTripWizard and RVLife app installed. It has a built in GPS and if you download your route & regional maps it continues to work after you loose internet. There is no need to have a stand alone GPS.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel