Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS-NW View Post
In my previous posting, I indicated that the cover door cost $85 and the frame cost $35. Actually the $85 was for both. The extra $35 was for an LP gas coupler to allow the change from Gerard to Truma. The estimate for the work also included five-hours for labor on the main unit, and one-hour for the door. Apparently they spent an hour opening the box. There are 8 screws to secure the door to the unit.

Our install was billed at 3hours at $112 per hour
The Truma itself was $1233
The door was $93
Gas connection kit and hose $50

Hope this helps.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
I have no idea about the reason for the warning, however I assume you are concerned about freezing the unit.
Here is something to consider....since you will be using the coach it will be heated inside. The Truma , at least in our case, is basically inside in heated space so the chance of freezing is mitigated. Ours is under the kitchen sink mid coach. I have not checked to see if a piece of insulation would fit behind the outside cover to help with heat retention while traveling. Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Circulating Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghbob View Post
since having ours in for repairs (blown fuse) we have had no issues BUT - we DON'T leave the unit on all the time. We noticed yesterday that - although the unit seems to be working fine and delivering plenty of hot water now (VERY hot - 2 back to back showers yesterday, my first in the new rig actually) - when the unit is "at rest" (no demand) we hear a "buzzing" sound or hum coming from the unit every couple of minutes. Not sure what's going on there but it stops when we turn it off on the firefly. It takes a little longer to get hot water to the faucet - but at least it isn't humming all the time.
I believe the Buzzing sound you here is the circulating pump. If you have the unit on Comport Mode to maintain 120F water it will turn the pump On & OFF as needed to keep the Loop at this temperature. In mine I leave the main switch at the unit in the Comfort Mode when we are traveling and turn the inside switch on when we are ready to shower or wash dishes. While LP usage is minimal I don't see the sense of keeping the unit fully running as it only takes less than a minute to get the Hot water at any faucet.
Fantastic unit so far
Old 05-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
I have PM'd a number of folks here, so I will post the question publicly:

We are planning a winter trip (to the heat) this year, leaving from Northern Idaho and traveling south to warmer temps before heading east. The first few days of travel will be in freezing temps.

I notice it says in the Truma manual to not have the unit turned on while driving. Per Truma manual: "Gas must not be used for heating while the vehicle is in motion."

My question is, do you think that is a boilerplate "Eurostyle" safety warning, or is there some reason that having the unit turned on will damage the Truma?

I believe the warning is for CYA in the legal world. I see no difference in running down the road with the Truma fully on if you wish or leaving the standard HW Heater on LP while traveling.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #33

big issues

I get hot water in about 50 seconds, but if I turn it off at the sink or shower it tries to light every 15 seconds for 3-4 minutes before it stays lit. The factory has no ideas other than to replace it.
i have been dealing with this for 5 months.
thanks...
ttimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
ttim,
Our Truma works great, however I do seem to hear a "woosh" sound every 15 to 20 seconds as well. Sounds like a gas grill when you light it but only while it is producing hot water. The water temp does not waiver and the sound stops when not in use. I am not sure what that actually is. I think if it were "relighting" every 15 - 20 seconds the temp would vary but it gives us constant hot water and as much as we want. This is the second Truma we have had as our first one failed due to freezing. (I think) I drained it as directed in the manual. Pulled the big yellow lever and removed the filter. Actually used the levelers to tip the coach to make sure all water was drained, replaced the filter and latched the yellow lever. When spring came I found that the plastic tabs that hold the filter had failed. Truma was great and replaced the unit. I had to pay for the install but that was OK. From now on when winterizing I will most certainly leave the filter out. I only mention this to say that BOTH of the units made the "whooshing" sound but with worked perfectly. This may be of no help to you but at least there is some sort of consistency. Good luck.
Stan and Janice
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
No Woosh here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter1 View Post
ttim,
Our Truma works great, however I do seem to hear a "woosh" sound every 15 to 20 seconds as well. Sounds like a gas grill when you light it but only while it is producing hot water. The water temp does not waiver and the sound stops when not in use. I am not sure what that actually is. I think if it were "relighting" every 15 - 20 seconds the temp would vary but it gives us constant hot water and as much as we want. This is the second Truma we have had as our first one failed due to freezing. (I think) I drained it as directed in the manual. Pulled the big yellow lever and removed the filter. Actually used the levelers to tip the coach to make sure all water was drained, replaced the filter and latched the yellow lever. When spring came I found that the plastic tabs that hold the filter had failed. Truma was great and replaced the unit. I had to pay for the install but that was OK. From now on when winterizing I will most certainly leave the filter out. I only mention this to say that BOTH of the units made the "whooshing" sound but with worked perfectly. This may be of no help to you but at least there is some sort of consistency. Good luck.
Stan and Janice
Unless we are outside when the unit is on we have never heard the Wooshing sound you refer to. While I have hear the unit light up it is very quiet in operation. Loudest noise from it is the whirling/hum of the circulating pump.
It's been over a year now and still working great. This is a great upgrade from a conventional Water Heater
Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #36

We just had our Girard Gen 3 tankless replaced with a Truma AquaGo Comfort model and absolutely couldn't be happier.

Got it a little cheaper than some because Truma just opened a new service center in Lakeland, Florida late last year and are offering free installations to the first 50 customers to get an AquaGo system installed. The tech told me they are just over 20 so far, so if interested in one and are in Florida, you may want to jump now. They even traveled 2 hours to our seasonal site to do the install for a mere 39.00 travel charge.

Our unit was 1233.00. Door was 119.00 (black XS). Adding the travel charge and 7% sales tax our price out the door was 1489.00. Tech also advised that he would register the unit for us which gave us a 2 year extended warranty instead of the standard 1 year if we registered ourselves online. I was also able to use a 50.00 rebate coupon from another Truma owner and now have some also to hand out, just ask.

So end result is a cost of 1439.00, 2 year warranty, and they came on site to do the install and did an EXCELLENT job. With some paying near 2000.00, I think it's a great deal!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #37

Truma and bathtubs

Hi, I have a great Heartland Cyclone which has a bathtub! I would like to be able to use it more frequently when on full hook ups but the existing water heater sadly cannot keep up!

Does anyone have any experience with a Truma and a bathtub?

Thanks!
RottsNScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsNScotts View Post
Hi, I have a great Heartland Cyclone which has a bathtub! I would like to be able to use it more frequently when on full hook ups but the existing water heater sadly cannot keep up!

Thanks!
While we don't have a bathtub in our MH. I have a Tankless WH in our home.
The same applies to a RV as well.
As long as you have a constant supply of H2O and with the Truma a supply of Propane you will have hot water as long as you want.
We chose the MH with the Truma due to our research and our water consumption has dropped as we have HW almost instantly compared to our old MH's standard system.
As to the house unit I installed one so I would have HW after all others had bathed [CENTER]which it solved but now everyone else takes even longer baths as we never run out.
Our MH unit was factory installed so it was plumbed with a specific loop to all faucets which greatly reduces time to receive HW.
The Truma is well worth the upgrade
Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsNScotts View Post

Thanks!
I will agree with Bompa; the Truma Aquago will give you endless hot water as long as you have water and propane.

We had a 16 gallon DSI gas & electric (dual power) water heater that came standard with our RV. It was still insufficient for our preferences. We never dry camp or "boondock", and we hate "Navy" showers.

We also have a washer/dryer (Splendide) installed, and with all of that, we are never without plenty and continuous hot water.

The Truma quality is excellent, and better than what you ordinarily see in typical OEM RV industry components.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Old 01-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
I have PM'd a number of folks here, so I will post the question publicly:

We are planning a winter trip (to the heat) this year, leaving from Northern Idaho and traveling south to warmer temps before heading east. The first few days of travel will be in freezing temps.

I notice it says in the Truma manual to not have the unit turned on while driving. Per Truma manual: "Gas must not be used for heating while the vehicle is in motion."

My question is, do you think that is a boilerplate "Eurostyle" safety warning, or is there some reason that having the unit turned on will damage the Truma?
Just wondering if left your Truma unit running when you left Idaho for warm weather. Truma has a kit called electric antifreeze kit. No antifreeze, but a 12 volt heater to keep it from freezing.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
Just wondering if left your Truma unit running when you left Idaho for warm weather. Truma has a kit called electric antifreeze kit. No antifreeze, but a 12 volt heater to keep it from freezing.
We never took the trip.

If we did, my plan was to drain (takes 15 seconds) the heater while driving instead of making the issue more complex.

Cannot say good enough regarding the Truma WH.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #42

I just purchased the anti-freeze device for my Truma, and to answer the question about not using propane while on driving...no, you can not use propane because the kit includes a plastic bank plate the actually covers the propane exhaust port while driving. Reason being that the anti-freeze device uses a 12volt heating element to maintain adequate temperature inside the water chamber. If the propane exhaust port was open while driving, the wind would not allow the 12v element to maintain adequate freeze protection.

So, I'm wondering what the big advantage is to using the $200 device! I was under the impression that the Truma COULD be used while driving. And as you stated, it only takes about 15 seconds to drain the unit. I think I wasted $200.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater